PDA

View Full Version : how long is your dip stick?

freniv
10-20-2005, 11:36 PM
Wondering if someone could do me a favour.... since I got my car when ever I do an oil change(with filter) and put in 6.5L the dip stick will mark low. It will take about 8L of oil to make the dip stick mark full. In case you're wondering I concider low (min) the first cut and max the second cut. I tried almost everything to figure it out, even going to BMW and taking a look at a new one out of their parts dept. Just tonight I was yet thinking again, cuz I can't seem to let things go, and noticed that the plastic end is cracked. So can someone do me a favour and measure the length of your oil dipstick from where it sits on the guide tube to:
1. the end of the dip stick
2. the low mark
3. the full mark

Is your guide tube straight or have a bend in it. If you'd be really nice measure the length of the guide tube -distance from the top of the guide tube to where it meets the oil pan. If your guide tube is bent let me know if you measured it as a straight line or took your tape measure and followed the bend.

I appreciate any help.... or info to solve my mystery.

Thanks
*wave*

jeffrie
10-20-2005, 11:43 PM
Your one in a million and super Anal.
All cars I'v ever had were right on....Geuss your unlucky.

RevShoT
10-20-2005, 11:43 PM
if its a 6 cylinder motor it takes 7 litres of oil to fill (including the filter)

jeffrie
10-21-2005, 01:16 AM
5 L with filter if a 4 cylinder.

Quack
10-21-2005, 01:21 AM
I've seen cars with the wrong dip stick before so anything is possible

Slowered318
10-21-2005, 04:44 AM
Watch out cause you can cause damage by over filling your engine oil