PDA

View Full Version : Replacing ball joints

spooner_dee
10-19-2005, 09:05 PM
Has anyone done this with out replacing the whole control arm? I know its possible but ive heard its a bitch. My ball joints atleast the one on the driver side needs replacing so i figure do them both and replace them with better metal ones not the cheap oem ones, but i dont wanna go and buy all new arms just to have the ball joints replaced. Im gonna have a mechanic do it, but i wanna know if hes gonna be cussing me by the end of the day.... more then usual anyways.

Justin e36
10-19-2005, 09:29 PM
easy to do by any bmw mechanic who has the ball joint replacement tool.. takes a few minutes. if any other mechanic has to do it they will have to heat it up and knock it in.. good chance it won't seat properly.

if you go with metal ones, make sure they're not the so called meyle heavy duty ones.

niks325i
10-20-2005, 02:53 PM
I did this in my alley behind my garage. It's not easy, but it is possible.

1. jack up car and take of front wheel
2. undo the big nut on the top of the outer ball joint
3. the control arm falls down after the nut is off but not until is beaten from the side about 100 times with freakin big hammer
4. once the contol arm falls down, push the rotor and spindle out of the way so you can get the balljoint removing tool (that you borrowed from Part Source) on to the ball joint
5. choose the appropriate combination of cups and sleaves to press out the ball joint
6. use an impact wrench to turn the ball joint removing tool and drive the ball joint out of the control arm
7. use the tool again to press in the new balljoint up from the bottom of the control arm
8. put the spindle back on to the top of the balljoint so the shaft is lined up to go through the spindle
9. put a block of wood between a hydraulic jack and the rotor and jack up the rotor until the balljoint shaft comes through the spindle
10. put big nut on and tighten for all it's worth
11. put wheel back on and you're done

Nik

spooner_dee
10-21-2005, 04:40 PM
easy to do by any bmw mechanic who has the ball joint replacement tool.. takes a few minutes. if any other mechanic has to do it they will have to heat it up and knock it in.. good chance it won't seat properly.

if you go with metal ones, make sure they're not the so called meyle heavy duty ones.

what are they like garbage (cheaply made)?

spooner_dee
10-21-2005, 04:41 PM
also anyone know what the stealer charges for this?

another thing, when looking at the parts online i see inner/upper and outer/lower..... how can i tell which needs or replacing whats what im confused.

jeffrie
10-21-2005, 05:00 PM
36 bucks with tax.

BRAD 82
10-21-2005, 05:12 PM
i got mine done and i think i paid $150 at the dealership.(it was about a year ago)
i tried on my own and failed miserably... i suggest take to a bmw mechanic!

app
10-21-2005, 11:11 PM
problems with meyle arms?

propr'one
10-22-2005, 12:42 AM
i paid like 100$ to have it done. Noticable difference though

niks325i
10-24-2005, 04:55 PM
i got mine done and i think i paid $150 at the dealership.(it was about a year ago)
i tried on my own and failed miserably... i suggest take to a bmw mechanic!

It was about $150 a couple years ago, but now it's over $200. That's why I did it myself. If you aren't up for a challenge, don't do it yourself.

Nik