PDA

View Full Version : Importing an Older Car From Overseas ...

bimmer_02
10-19-2005, 08:59 PM
hey guys,

What are the rules and procedures if i wanna import a car from middle-east, the car is a 1989 Nissan, i want to bring here for a plan that i have in mind for it, its an s.u.v model thats not available here in north america at all. i heard that if the car is more than 15 years old its ok. But how hard is it really and how much do u think it cost to ship here?

thanx
soran n

bimmer_02
10-23-2005, 01:35 AM
bump? anyone have experience in this?

propr'one
10-23-2005, 01:54 AM
Even if its 15 years old, you have to bring it up to code for crash testing. Emissions isn't a problem. Its like the 15+ year old skylines. It may require a bit of modification, but it can be brought in. what ar eyou looking to bring over?

bimmer_02
10-23-2005, 04:39 AM
but even if the car was never meant to be in north america? theres none of them here at all, would that be an issue?

propane: im lookin to bring in a nissan Patrol

lvan
10-23-2005, 07:28 PM
Nissan Patrols are amazing and worth bringing in. Not sure about 89 but the ones from Mid 90s looks niceeee. YOur best bet would be to bring the car down to the coast just to save on transportation fees.
For example We usually bring a car all the way down to Adriatic Coast in Montenegro or Craotia and then it goes on the ship.Basically save on towing .That trip would be around 1k. Since you are bringing it from M.E. , it will be more.

wd948
10-23-2005, 07:44 PM
i brought my car from germany, but from what i have heard, you need to live in the place to be able to bring it back, and it defenetly has to be 15 and older. the specs dont matter when its older than 15years old, and if it is like me, you cant sell the car for at least a year, of course in my case the military paid to bring it back so it might be the reason

bimmer_02
10-23-2005, 11:57 PM
i still do have a residence down there (saudi arabia), does anyone know the options i have to get the car down here, i dont think i need the best of shipping since its an older car, i know theres a way you get a container and ship it all the way to here but from what i know thats the most expensive way, so if theres any numbers i can call to know exact information ill be thankful.

Ivan: yea they are real nice cars and im into the 4x4 scene too, so id rather get that one instead of buying any of the others they have here, the closest 4x4 to it will be a land cruiser but if i have the option ill bring the patrol IMO.

so any popular car shipping companies? and does anyone have an idea of how long the procedure takes?

thanx,
soran. n

Bliss
10-24-2005, 02:35 AM
i still do have a residence down there (saudi arabia), does anyone know the options i have to get the car down here, i dont think i need the best of shipping since its an older car, i know theres a way you get a container and ship it all the way to here but from what i know thats the most expensive way, so if theres any numbers i can call to know exact information ill be thankful.

Ivan: yea they are real nice cars and im into the 4x4 scene too, so id rather get that one instead of buying any of the others they have here, the closest 4x4 to it will be a land cruiser but if i have the option ill bring the patrol IMO.

so any popular car shipping companies? and does anyone have an idea of how long the procedure takes?

thanx,
soran. n

Here's a general link that may be helpful. Just give them a shout, and ask. Just be prepared to be on hold for a while.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/importation/menu.htm