PDA

View Full Version : Ugly ugly chrome.....

Lennon
10-04-2002, 03:27 PM
Well, I had just recently had my car repainted (same colour) and it does look really nice, the only downside to it is that god awful chrome on the bumpers, I don't mid so much the chrome around the windows, that can stay, its the crap on the bumpers that must go!:puke:

So, is there a certain type of paint I need to do this? Or is it just not doable at all?
Thanks!*th-up*

Hartge H26
10-04-2002, 03:38 PM
you can buy a product called black out tape. It comes in widths from 1/4 up to 6in. I currently have it on mine and I'm only changing now after 9 years. It doesn't fade or peel away. Once it's on the only way it comes off is with a head gun.
Cawthra Auto has it 50ft by 6in $42.00. It's much better than painting them.

Jon@Bimmersport
10-04-2002, 03:41 PM
why not just get the painted bumpers from the newer style e30s

jeremy
10-04-2002, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by E46_lover
why not just get the painted bumpers from the newer style e30s

theres alot of work involved in switchin up to a newer style bumper (if you do it properly)....if you going to do that you mine as well get an aftermarket front spoiler..chrome is near impossible to paint, your not going to get good adhesion out of it....do what hartage 26 says, thats your best bet until you get a kit. *th-up*

Dave 325i
10-04-2002, 04:57 PM
Yes, it's possible to get the bumpers painted, but you should have a paint shop do it unless you're experienced with this sort of thing.

Combined with a bumper tuck, the painted chrome doesn't look half bad.

jeremy
10-04-2002, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by Dave 325i
Yes, it's possible to get the bumpers painted, but you should have a paint shop do it unless you're experienced with this sort of thing.

Combined with a bumper tuck, the painted chrome doesn't look half bad.

whos car is that...and how often does he have to repaint the chrome...truthfully ?

Dave 325i
10-04-2002, 08:25 PM
I don't know his real name; he goes by 'bluntheadtrauma'.

Regular on Roadfly and used to be a regular on e30.net. I'll ask him actually.

Autotechnica
10-04-2002, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by Lennon
Well, I had just recently had my car repainted (same colour) and it does look really nice, the only downside to it is that god awful chrome on the bumpers, I don't mid so much the chrome around the windows, that can stay, its the crap on the bumpers that must go!:puke:

So, is there a certain type of paint I need to do this? Or is it just not doable at all?
Thanks!*th-up*

Nice paint job *th-up* The car looks brand spankin new! :cool:

If you don't mind me asking, where did you get it painted, and how much? Thanks

Bryan

Dave 325i
10-06-2002, 03:42 AM
Originally posted by jeremy

whos car is that...and how often does he have to repaint the chrome...truthfully ?

He's had it painted for three months so far - no chips or anything yet.