PDA

View Full Version : Towing.

bmwm5lover
10-18-2005, 05:02 PM
Hypothetically speaking, my cr is parked when it's not supposed to. A tow truck driver comes, and the owner of the property asks for my car to be towed. My car is slammed, can the tow truck driver attempt to tow it (he won't be able to, that fork thingy that grabs your front wheels won;t fit under my skirt), and if he somehow manages to, but damages my car after towing it, who is liable?

daytona
10-18-2005, 05:21 PM
The owner of the property cannot tow unless the car been ticketed by a city parking enforcement officer(green hornet)..if the car is damaged due to mishandling of the car the towing company is responsible but its up to the owner of the car to prove the damage wasnt there before the car was towed..just say with all said and done lawyer fees would eat up any compensation if you would sue and small claims court the argument of "historical damage" puts the pressure on the owner to prove damages werent there previously.

Gianpaolo_E46
10-18-2005, 05:32 PM
ive seen ur car parked off steeles in the grass at york

bmwm5lover
10-18-2005, 05:41 PM
^^ dont park there anymore.

Eurostyle
10-18-2005, 05:42 PM
A year ago one of my Subarus got ticketed on the street by my house (15 hour parking), by the time i noticed (next day) the car was gone. When i picked it up, the rear hatch was badly dented, my licence plate was damaged (cut right thru) and the interior door handle was broken right off. I tryed to get an explenation from the towing company (Lions towing :mad: ) only to be told my car was a piece of S#it, i tryed to speak to a memager, and was told to leave, they dont have time, i was even denyed a phone # and the name of the person to talk to!
After a short trip to the local police station, i was told there is not much i can do, because i have no proof the damage was not there before...

bmwm5lover
10-18-2005, 05:46 PM
^the soobie was falling apart to begin with, they can just say its a crap car. My car, for the most part, is intact. What if I have recent pictures, then what?

Eurostyle
10-18-2005, 05:51 PM
^the soobie was falling apart to begin with, they can just say its a crap car. My car, for the most part, is intact. What if I have recent pictures, then what?

Shut up! Thats not the point!!! Damage is damage...what if it was my bimmer or the benz that got hit!? And unless you had pictures of your car taken the day before, from all angles...how can you prove anything...

razor/m5
10-18-2005, 05:54 PM
if its on privite property the owner has every right to tow your car, I know because I have done this more times then I care to remember. You can tow a lowered car , they use dollys or they will get a flatbed

M3ti Compact
10-18-2005, 05:54 PM
Just bring a witness. A friend, neighbour, co-worker must have saw it. Say they saw it in the spot where the car was towed, and there was no damange on it. On top of that, a towbar will cause unique damange- take pictures to show that the damage can only be caused by inproper, incompetent towing, and also show that a regular towbar will not fit under your car, but the towtruck driver attempted to tow it anyway, causing damage.

Or you can just cause a fuss with the towing company. They must have insurance to cover these kinds of things. Say, you can settle it now, or in court, where the cost to them will be higher. And you don't need to hire a lawyer for small claims court. Don't you watch Judge Judy??

bmwm5lover
10-18-2005, 05:57 PM
if its on privite property the owner has every right to tow your car, I know because I have done this more times then I care to remember. You can tow a lowered car , they use dollys or they will get a flatbed
My car CANNOT go ona flat bed even if my life depended on it. If they use those dolly's to lift the rear, then it would make it even more impossible to lift the front. Im 99% my car is untowable, without removing my valances, hence why I've made it so that I can disassemble it in 10 minutes on the side of a road.

bmwm5lover
10-18-2005, 05:59 PM
Shut up! Thats not the point!!! Damage is damage...what if it was my bimmer or the benz that got hit!? And unless you had pictures of your car taken the day before, from all angles...how can you prove anything...
Ofcourse you can, there is specific damage that will be caused when tiowing a car that can't be towed. If the damage is dead centre, on your lower part of the front bumper, lets say on your Benz, then CLEARLY they muct have caused it. If its a scratch on the side door, then that miught be a challenge to prove.

razor/m5
10-18-2005, 06:07 PM
My car CANNOT go ona flat bed even if my life depended on it. If they use those dolly's to lift the rear, then it would make it even more impossible to lift the front. Im 99% my car is untowable, without removing my valances, hence why I've made it so that I can disassemble it in 10 minutes on the side of a road.

My bad, what I ment to say was most lowered cars could be towed *th-up*

Gianpaolo_E46
10-18-2005, 06:20 PM
r u worried u might get towed at york? or off campus

bmwm5lover
10-18-2005, 08:37 PM
^yes

Understated
10-18-2005, 08:55 PM
buy a nice digi cam with gigs of storage.....take pix of the car everytime you park :D

Gamite
10-18-2005, 09:14 PM
my dad's car was towed once, they broke the oil pan, it was pretty obvious that they did it, so they fixed it for me.

*Luv_it*
10-19-2005, 12:34 AM
^yes
if you want to scam parking at york..try parking at ice gardens...i made a fake gym card and i got in all the time with it....i was only ticketed twice the whole year i parked there which is nothing...and most of the time its left open....and if ur looking for cheap parking....when u do buy a gym pass...its only 300$ and u get free parking..which is better then paying 800$ for a real pass...or being towed *th-up*

Understated
10-19-2005, 12:50 AM
^^^^^^^ouuuu that sounds like a smooth move

i shall inform my york dork friends :D

*Luv_it*
10-19-2005, 12:56 AM
^^^^^^^ouuuu that sounds like a smooth move

i shall inform my york dork friends :D
you just made urself sound like a dork for rhyming york and dork together...lol :D

SebSter
10-19-2005, 03:22 AM
hmm, good to know for next year when ill be switching over to york. that is if my plan to charm myself into a free parking pass falls through.

bmwm5lover
10-19-2005, 11:33 AM
my dad's car was towed once, they broke the oil pan, it was pretty obvious that they did it, so they fixed it for me.
See, exactly, them towing my car, and causing ~1000$ in damage, doesn't exactly justify the $100 they are going to make.

///MsAniTy
10-19-2005, 11:37 AM
^But they might not see it that way. They might tow and say they caused no damage or they might say take it through insurance. So I think its a chance you shouldnt take.

jeremy
10-19-2005, 12:00 PM

same thing happened to one of my old beater cars... they paid, but it took time to get the coin.

*Luv_it*
10-19-2005, 12:03 PM
hmm, good to know for next year when ill be switching over to york. that is if my plan to charm myself into a free parking pass falls through.
LOL....i dont know if you have what it takes....somes of those parking guys are really hard to break....it takes a certain talent..like the one i have to get through :D ....but ur charms might work on the old lady that never smiles *love*

mirek
10-19-2005, 04:04 PM

A tow truck driver told me that they CAN NOT tow the car EVEN if it's on their own private property, UNLESS the owner signs a letter stating he will accept all liability of damage etc etc.

i REALLY like to EMPHASIZE words by typing THEM in CAPS

razor/m5
10-19-2005, 04:11 PM
A tow truck driver told me that they CAN NOT tow the car EVEN if it's on their own private property, UNLESS the owner signs a letter stating he will accept all liability of damage etc etc.

i REALLY like to EMPHASIZE words by typing THEM in CAPS

really, thats funny why is it then when I've called tow truck companys
that have contracts with us they never had us sign anything like that

M3ti Compact
10-19-2005, 05:08 PM
It probably says no liability in the contracts then!

SebSter
10-19-2005, 07:02 PM
LOL....i dont know if you have what it takes....somes of those parking guys are really hard to break....it takes a certain talent..like the one i have to get through :D ....but ur charms might work on the old lady that never smiles *love*

older women you say? ;)

Mystikal
10-19-2005, 07:36 PM
Your car can be flatbedded, no problem. It'll just take an hour or two of careful planning.

Seriously, if a Lambo or Ferrari can get up there, your car can. Lots and lots of wood is necessary.

*Luv_it*
10-19-2005, 07:46 PM
older women you say? ;)
lol.....my my my...maybe ur charms will work on her... u could say shes around mid 50's...if u like that sort of thing ;)

T.Dot_E30
10-19-2005, 07:54 PM
They also have special types of flatbeds, where the ramp comes all the way down, flat with the road......then the car can be pushed on.

There probably aren't to many of those around thou.

A~G
10-19-2005, 07:55 PM
A year ago one of my Subarus got ticketed on the street by my house (15 hour parking), by the time i noticed (next day) the car was gone. When i picked it up, the rear hatch was badly dented, my licence plate was damaged (cut right thru) and the interior door handle was broken right off. I tryed to get an explenation from the towing company (Lions towing :mad: ) only to be told my car was a piece of S#it, i tryed to speak to a memager, and was told to leave, they dont have time, i was even denyed a phone # and the name of the person to talk to!
After a short trip to the local police station, i was told there is not much i can do, because i have no proof the damage was not there before...

Are you planning revenge??? REVENGE IS SWEET .. especially when you get a chance to get back at those trashy towtruck companies and their drivers...

A~G
10-19-2005, 07:55 PM
Terry you're gonna start driving the jeep soon,,, thats towable!

How's the 'cd' ? :D

lvan
10-19-2005, 08:14 PM
Some officers may not issue a ticket for if the car is in fenced property or the owner has not inforom them to do so.
I agree with mSINTY ,no risk should be taken. Some owners have no respect and they are wating for opportunites like those. At the end it's not worth it. They damage your car and you have to pay for towing to get your car back.

8 bills for parking?
Pure communist system, You just gotta work for ****en parking pass.