PDA

View Full Version : which tires should i buy?!

bimmer_02
10-17-2005, 06:00 AM
hey guys,
i need new tires soon, and im going to drive my car in the winter and i might need to do quite a bit of highway driving during the cold winter months, but id rather get all-season tires than snow tires. Anyone with openion or experience with some good tires that are good for dry/wet (normal) weather but are also reasnobly good for snow/ice (i know wont even be close to how good snow tires in winter but something safe enough).

thanx in advance,
soran n.

P.S: also, i checked tire rack, how are their prices compared to tire shops here in toronto, is it worth it ordering them from tirerack and paying shipping and customs as a pose to buying them from a shop here?

propr'one
10-17-2005, 10:41 AM
Get winter tires man, all seasons just aren't good enough for luxury sedans.

M3ti Compact
10-17-2005, 10:47 AM
Such a tire that you describe that does good in snow and in dry does not exist.

Even the cheapest Canadian Tire Snow Tire will do better in snow than the most expensive Michelin All Season.

But, if you must insist, your best bet is probably to go with the OEM tire.

bimmer_02
10-17-2005, 01:48 PM
the reason id rather get all-season is because i dont wanna spend another grand come summer cuz i cant drive the winters in summer. i have other plans for that grand. but im still thinkin about the whole thing anyways so i havnt fully decided its going to be all-season

Mystikal
10-17-2005, 01:55 PM
Spending money on clears and suspension parts (plus whatever else I can't see) and not willing to invest in good seasonal tires is pretty irresponsible if you ask me.

bimmer_02
10-17-2005, 01:57 PM
are all-seasons THAT BAD in winter???

Mystikal
10-17-2005, 02:04 PM
Yes. Especially compared to winter tires.

Seriously, ask anyone who swore by all-seasons then bought a set of winter tires out of curiosity. They're all shocked and never go back (generalizing, but serious look it up).

STALKER
10-17-2005, 02:06 PM
Bimmer_02, let me know if you still want my snows. Thanks.

Hound
10-17-2005, 04:28 PM
yea snows are the way to go man, i had a car with all season's and thought they were great cause i didn't have to worry about changing tires come winter or summer, boy was i wrong when i got snow tires. Snow tire's are a must if you are gonna be winter driving in a RWD car espcially. the dsc and such can make a big differance but i can honestly say that if i didn't have snows on both cars one of them proly would be pretty banged up cause round here there are several hills and road that don't get plowed for days sometimes and yo'd just get stuck or worse yet, hit someone trying to stop at an interection. with all seasons, yes they are OK but, in this climate you NEED snows otherwise the risk of an accident in the winter time is greatly increased. if all seasons were just fine in both situations i don't think they'd make snows. JMHO

330DTM
10-17-2005, 04:38 PM
Yes. Especially compared to winter tires.

Seriously, ask anyone who swore by all-seasons then bought a set of winter tires out of curiosity. They're all shocked and never go back (generalizing, but serious look it up).

^ He's right. I rather invest the extra money to have two sets of tires for winter & summer. Don't cheap out with all-seasons, they're a gimmic.

I had all-seasons on my E36 328i back in the days, Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus, and although I was able to drive it in the snow, the amount of grip was horrible compared to a real snow tire especially when there was quite a layer of snow on the ground. In addition, because all-seasons don't grip as well as a snow tire, you are jepordizing your stopping distance on snow/ice as well as your ability to drive in deep snow and having better control.

Hound
10-17-2005, 05:04 PM
i think you put that better thab i did mike lol. *th-up*

330DTM
10-17-2005, 05:54 PM
i think you put that better thab i did mike lol. *th-up*

*angel* you have better examples Sean *th-up*

Hound
10-17-2005, 06:29 PM
lol thx :)

kidneykill
10-17-2005, 09:21 PM
try
Pirelli Winter 210 Sottozero
or
Dunlop SP Wintersport

Ant118
10-17-2005, 09:24 PM
Blizzaks is what i use and it think they grip amazing but there are also other good ones like the dunlop's but i personally like the Blizzaks

Hound
10-17-2005, 09:51 PM
what were the ones that we were talking bout yesterday ant, some sort of sweedish tire that would go well on the konesegggesgajs lol however they spell the damn name.

Quack
10-17-2005, 09:55 PM
all-season tires suck, the only thing they're good for are burnouts :D

thinair
10-17-2005, 10:03 PM

My dad is super cheap, appearently winter tires were a marketing ploy to make money. I somehow convinced him to buy a set....my exact words were "How can you put a price on mom's life" lol. Anyway, he's hooked....seriously.

M3ti Compact
10-17-2005, 10:43 PM
what were the ones that we were talking bout yesterday ant, some sort of sweedish tire that would go well on the konesegggesgajs lol however they spell the damn name.

I think ur thinking of the Nokian Hakkapeliitta.

One of the best snow tires out there in my opion. I still have a set from when they were still called Nokia, and my next set would be another set of Nokians

www.nokiantires.com

http://www.nokiantires.com/newsite/_cache/842ce1f9a6b0a8a282de45c5fce0524a.jpg

Justin e36
10-17-2005, 11:09 PM
All seasons are garbage.. unfortunately you can't get the best of both worlds. You can just get OK of both worlds... and that's the best a all-season tire will be, just OK.. and that's if you spend a pretty penny on them.

Get Winter's... Bridgestone Blizzak's are my preference.

///Maluco
10-17-2005, 11:24 PM
I'm running Michelin Alpine's on the compay car (Chrysler Sebring) and I do a lot of highway driving (Toronto to Detroit) and let me tell you, even when I did have reasonable tread on the all-seasons, they did not compare to the improvement the Winter tires made.
IMO...it'll be a worthwhile investment in the long run when you have to make your first emergency maneuver!!! :eek:

I'm also running Pirelli Winter's (210's) on my wife's car, and they are incredible... *th-up*

635CSi
10-17-2005, 11:25 PM
As mentioned above Nokins are by far the best have a set for all the cars I dive and will never go back!

BMVV
10-18-2005, 12:02 AM
I've driven in TO for 28 winters on all season tires and never had a problem.
I curently have Michlin MXV4 on a 528i.Super quiet and good all round grip for a tire that will go 80,000 kms.

windwagen
10-18-2005, 12:43 AM
I agree somewhat with BMVV. But if you are running low profile, go with the snows. I never bought snows for any of my cars until the 540. My 540 with 235-45-17 is not dangerous in the snow at all. I mean, how dangerous is it to just sit stuck at the end of the driveway? The el cheapo Hankooks I bought made a HUGE difference! Do you need 17" snows? I have a few sets I need to sell.

Hound
10-18-2005, 12:51 AM
M3ti those are the ones, they sound sweet. my mom had nordic frost tire on a volvo she had, v70 r awd and they were awesome.

Gamite
10-18-2005, 02:19 AM
wow, I hope this tread convinced you to go with some nice winters

Just get some steelies with some winters, no one cars what cars look like in winter.

Hound
10-18-2005, 03:21 AM
very true gamite, don't think being showy is all that important in the winter, its all about who can do the most donuts hehehe.

Mystikal
10-18-2005, 03:24 PM
Just thought I'd add (with all of the Blizzak recommendations) that I hate those tires with a passion (the Q rated models, not the H+ rated ones). They handle incredibly poorly in the dry (which 75% of the roads are in the winter anyways), and wear like R-compounds. They just had an excellent marketing campain, so people stick with them.

In general the Michelin X-Ice and ANY NOKIAN is great, and once you get into the higher performance ranks the Pirelli Snowsports, Yokohama AVS', and the high-performance Nokians are excellent. Also the Kumho KW11 (Q-rated) and KW17 (T/H/V rated) are incredible values, they're rated just as high as the best names but cost significantly less.

If anyone wants specific winter tire advice PM me or something, I'll be glad to help.

Ital_325i
10-18-2005, 06:45 PM
All seasons are good if you live in the southern states, where they dont see snow.

Here in Canada, with our 20 feet of snowfall one day then clear roads the next, winters are a good idea.

bimmer_02
10-19-2005, 05:25 AM
Thanks for all the input guys u'v been alota help.

and yes GAMITE, they did convince me :P

i know for a fact that snow tires are a much better grip in snow and ice, but i love how with all-seasons u can go sideways or do donuts without ever having to rev the engine over 3000 rpm, but i guess safety comes first.

soran n