PDA

View Full Version : Oil: Synthetic or Reg?

Pawel_11_11
10-17-2005, 01:43 AM
I've heard contradicting opinions of which one to use. Can you use either or? which one is better? Can you change from one to another without problems??
thanks in advance!!!

Storamin
10-17-2005, 12:14 PM
i prefer mobil 1 synthetic 5w-30 for pennsylvania weather.

you can normally change between the two, but going to synthetic you may experience more oil leakage. i switched over at 100k miles and did not notice any leaking.

jeffrie
10-17-2005, 12:33 PM
I use synthetic. Castrol 5-50. No oil leakage.
Yes you can just drain old and mix in new synthetic.
You'll also notice good cold start RPM's come this winter once -50C comes around.

Pawel_11_11
10-17-2005, 07:48 PM
yea I think this year I'll have to invest in some heated seats...leather isn't your friend in the winter!!! thanks guys!
is there any benefit to using synthetic? or is it just to let the motor work a little easier?

niks325i
10-20-2005, 03:03 PM
I've heard contradicting opinions of which one to use. Can you use either or? which one is better? Can you change from one to another without problems??
thanks in advance!!!

Synthetic is the way to go. You can switch easily, but I would consider running an engine flush through the engine first. If you can find an Ams/Oil dealer in your area, they've got a great flush and a new 5w40 European Oil. I've been running that in my 93 325i for the last year and a half. The engine gets worked hard. About a dozen or more autocrosses this year and the engine is running and sounding as good as new. :cool:

Nik

JazzM
10-20-2005, 03:13 PM
As long as youre not switching back and forth you'll be ok... Synthetic is the way to go... it last longer and has better lubrication properties. 10w30 or 5w30 castrol synthetic or Mobil 1. Also try to stick with one brand if you can. And its a good idea to check your oil level every few weeks.

T.