PDA

View Full Version : Which rotors to get?

spooner_dee
10-16-2005, 01:31 PM
OK peeps. Going to be updating/upgrading my brakes front and rear new pads and rotors. so take the poll tell me which rotors you like/think are the best ,share stories opinions etc. Just rotors, got the pads already picked out, thanks all.

SickFinga
10-16-2005, 01:46 PM
OEM blanks

BMWags
10-16-2005, 02:00 PM
i got slotted on mine, im happy, and they look better then solid

///Maluco
10-16-2005, 03:49 PM
I had my OEMs slotted front and rear and I'm happy with them.

Mystikal
10-16-2005, 04:24 PM
Slotting/drilling only increase stopping distance, and there's no way you need the gas dissipation on the street, or casual lapping.

OEM blanks, as Vlad said. I won't even mess with Brembo blanks anymore.

thinair
10-16-2005, 09:14 PM
X-drilled is worse then blanks, the rotors have less braking surface area, and less metal to absorb and transfer heat. They also have a tendancy of cracking, even if the holes are cast into the rotor, they're hard on pads too.

Slotting (no more then 6 slots per side) won't have an adverse effect on braking performance, and will vent gases, then again if you have a need for that on the street maybe you should slow down.....(I'm such a hypocrite).

Also, for the street, x-drilled or slotted won't increase braking distances, I'm a firm believer that tires dicate your stopping distances, not your brakes (and an e36 anyway, and until the brakes get very hot anyway, again which they shouldn't on the street.) Like if I was to get a BBK my car wouldn't stop quicker, it'd just be more repeatable over and over.

That said OEM blanks are the way to go for a street car, they tend to warp less, and have a more consistant grain.

Mystikal
10-16-2005, 09:20 PM
Also, for the street, x-drilled or slotted won't increase braking distances, I'm a firm believer that tires dicate your stopping distances, not your brakes (and an e36 anyway, and until the brakes get very hot anyway, again which they shouldn't on the street.) Like if I was to get a BBK my car wouldn't stop quicker, it'd just be more repeatable over and over.

I've seen the track times to report that yes, they (drilled and/or slotted) do lengthen lap times. The driver also noted a tanglible reduction in braking performance. This was on a built E30 track car.

But you are absolutely right, tires are a much more important variable in braking performance. Funny when you see guys with BBKs running all-seasons or cheap Kumhos/Nittos/you know where I'm going with this.

Also thought I'd note that next to tires, brake PADS are the next most vital variable affecting braking distances. Don't skimp on them.

spooner_dee
10-16-2005, 09:45 PM
well brake pads im not skimping on. thats a given. I know the whole deal about slotted and drilled rotors giving less performance, i read tons of articles on them and brake surface etc. I do need good braking perfomance as i do ALOT of highway driving like every day 90 miles so im traveling fast and at times need to stop. But in this poll im also going off of a vanity play as i like the look of cross drilled. was hoping some way magicly thered be a good set of cross drilled or something that didnt hinder performance too much. I have excelent tires and soon will have good padds. just need good rotors next.

thinair
10-16-2005, 09:51 PM
This was on a built E30 track car.

Exactly, a track car track tires, not a street car with street tires... :moon:

Soldo
10-16-2005, 09:57 PM
OEM blanks, but i'm a bitch for the sound drilled rotors make, sounds kinky!

bmwm5lover
10-16-2005, 10:06 PM
OEM? WHy not brembo blanks?

Mystikal
10-16-2005, 10:08 PM
OEM? WHy not brembo blanks?

I've warped them, other guys have warped them...

Just plain less cases of OEM discs failing.

bmwm5lover
10-16-2005, 10:12 PM
Ok, but how come I warped, severely may I add, OEM blaks with HP+++ pads?

T.Dot_E30
10-16-2005, 11:15 PM
Ok, but how come I warped, severely may I add, OEM blaks with HP+++ pads?

Because you were too cheap to buy new rotors when doing pads. Instead you re-surfaced them.

bmwm5lover
10-16-2005, 11:22 PM
Because you were too cheap to buy new rotors when doing pads. Instead you re-surfaced them.
They are, well, were, perfectly good rotors. WHy toss near new rotors? That was my reasoning. I shouldn't have had them machined then. O well, live and learn. New rotors come spring, and by the looks of it, they will be OEM(I really wanted slotted tho, i still might just get them), where to get them for a good price? They are 130ish at the dealer, each.

JazzM
10-16-2005, 11:31 PM
I voted blanks... I had zimmermann drilled rotors. they warped. Now I'm running the euro floating rotors. They are sold vented rotors and are absolutely amazing.

If only the brakes didn't overpower the tires...

T.

Jordan
10-16-2005, 11:34 PM
I have OEM blanks front and rear, and OEM pads front and rear.

My brakes are better then all you ****s.

:) *angel*

SickFinga
10-16-2005, 11:38 PM
I have OEM blanks front and rear, and OEM pads front and rear.

My brakes are better then all you ****s.

:) *angel*

welcome back

Jordan
10-16-2005, 11:42 PM
hehe. I'm not back!

bimmer_02
10-17-2005, 05:14 AM
so if for drilled rotors, which are the best pads?

Mystikal
10-17-2005, 01:33 PM

Hahaha Terry just can't stop getting owned.

bmwm5lover
10-17-2005, 01:53 PM
Hahaha Terry just can't stop getting owned.
I should stop listening to people who don;t know what they are talking about. That's my problem.

Mystikal
10-17-2005, 01:54 PM
But...

Machining E30 rotors IS pointless. They're just so damn cheap, you should ALWAYS just replace them.

bmwm5lover
10-17-2005, 03:17 PM
130ish at the dealer isnt exactly cheap, and thats EACH! I didn't know they sold them elsewhere.
ALso, i was getting it done free, so i thought it was a good thing, o well live and learn. New ones come spring.

Mystikal
10-17-2005, 04:56 PM
Heh, you didn't know people other than the dealer sold OEM parts?

My single mod plan for next year is just brake work. I want to re-do everything once and for all, with the suspension in check I just want a reliable and strong braking system for the track. Then we can all have some real fun!

bmwm5lover
10-17-2005, 05:50 PM
Heh, you didn't know people other than the dealer sold OEM parts?

My single mod plan for next year is just brake work. I want to re-do everything once and for all, with the suspension in check I just want a reliable and strong braking system for the track. Then we can all have some real fun!
Same, new front/ rear rotors, new rear pads (HP++ again), I did the fluid this year wiht Motul 5.1 so thats in check, maybe ill do it again, and i want to do SS lines.

spooner_dee
10-19-2005, 04:40 PM
ok thus far the votes are for slotted number one and blanks number 2. so can someone tell me how much oem blanks cost, do most of you buy them from the dealer, or from a parts store? i know for slotted id have to go to a performance shop.

Mystikal
10-19-2005, 06:33 PM
ok thus far the votes are for slotted number one and blanks number 2. so can someone tell me how much oem blanks cost, do most of you buy them from the dealer, or from a parts store? i know for slotted id have to go to a performance shop.

www.bmaparts.com

Free shipping, great prices, good people to work with.

T.Dot_E30
10-19-2005, 06:43 PM
www.bmaparts.com

Free shipping, great prices, good people to work with.

*th-up* *th-up* for BMA.

And you are even luckier bcus ur american, us canadians have to pay Shipping+Duty+Customs Fee.

I guess one of the few times it pays to be american, lol *wave* jk

Mystikal
10-19-2005, 06:53 PM
Don't worry, he'll get bombed soon.

spooner_dee
10-19-2005, 08:54 PM
*th-up* *th-up* for BMA.

And you are even luckier bcus ur american, us canadians have to pay Shipping+Duty+Customs Fee.

I guess one of the few times it pays to be american, lol *wave* jk

it pays to be american?!?!?!?!?!? coulda fooled me lol look at our supposed leader :confused:

thanks for the info guys, you have been much help

one question.... which brand on there is OEM for bmw? i see ate, balo, i know brembo isnt.... anyone?

10-19-2005, 09:04 PM
I have brembo rotors with hawk brake pads on my golf. What do u guys think?

T.Dot_E30
10-19-2005, 09:56 PM
balo is oem

Mystikal
10-19-2005, 11:07 PM
I have brembo rotors with hawk brake pads on my golf. What do u guys think?

Excellent setup.