PDA

View Full Version : 318 gone.. hello 328! (328 guys check in)

Kal
10-10-2005, 10:03 PM
As some of you may know already know, i was in the market of selling my 94 318. I reluctantly ended up selling it a few days ago. I loved that car and it will be missed. It was the first car that I heavily modified (cosmetics only) and I have many great memories with it.

So to get over my loss a little more quickly, I went out and bought myself a 4 door 97 328 5spd:)

Its in the bodyshop right now getting a little makeover so I'll have pics in the next few weeks. Right now it sits as silver with dove grey leather interior. I'm going to paint the car charcoil and throw on a bodykit this week (haven't decided which one, any suggestions?)

Basically, i've been deprieved of power for the last 5 years I owned the auto 318i. I plan to do some work to the 328 motor and I want to know what is the best thing to do.

I hear an M50 manifold will be a good start.. what type of gains can i see from this? m3 cams? I will most likely throw on a 75 shotnitrous kit. What should I do to the motor to handle it? When is the best time to chip the car?

Help me out here guys as I am extremely anxious to start modding my new toy :)

Kal

P.S. My friend bet me $50 that his 2000 ford Mustang 3.8L can take the 328.. did I make a stupid bet?

JazzM
10-10-2005, 10:06 PM
well if you loose your bet, I've got an AA S/C Kit for sale ;)

T.

M3ti Compact
10-10-2005, 10:13 PM
P.S. My friend bet me $50 that his 2000 ford Mustang 3.8L can take the 328.. did I make a stupid bet?

Don't worry...I remember a while ago some members were claiming that their 325i can take on a Mustang GT. So I wouldn't have any worries about a 328 vs a V6. *angel*

Kal
10-10-2005, 10:17 PM
well if you loose your bet, I've got an AA S/C Kit for sale ;)

T.

haha I know and i am seriously considering it!

Soldo
10-10-2005, 10:19 PM
Don't worry...I remember a while ago some members were claiming that their 325i can take on a Mustang GT. So I wouldn't have any worries about a 328 vs a V6. *angel*

Ya i took on a GT one time, it was a convertible..... it was a slow pull but i still won.

Then a couple months later, i got fed by a V6 stang with exhaust, boy did i feel like an asshole!

Kal..... go for the manifold, cams and chip.... should give you some serious power!!!

CONGRATS BY THE WAY!

How much you grab the 328 for ig you don't mind me askin?

Manimillion
10-10-2005, 10:27 PM
Ya i took on a GT one time, it was a convertible..... it was a slow pull but i still won.

Then a couple months later, i got fed by a V6 stang with exhaust, boy did i feel like an asshole!

Kal..... go for the manifold, cams and chip.... should give you some serious power!!!

CONGRATS BY THE WAY!

How much you grab the 328 for ig you don't mind me askin?

A stock GT Cuope ill run high 13's with a good driver.

The V6's are garbage anyways *thmbsdwn* They run 15's, I'd say it would be a drivers game stock to stock.

ChahalzBMR
10-10-2005, 11:14 PM
Congrats Kal!!!! Cams...manifold and chip will give you a nice gain. As for the body kit...do anything but a M3. There is too many of them around....ACS maybe?

crusher
10-11-2005, 01:24 AM
i say.. m3 cams, m50 manifold, HFM, TB, intake, exhaust, headers, software, put in some pulleys and your set!!! as for the GT you should have no problem after putting those mods.. congrats on the purchase and post some pics *th-up*

Kal
10-11-2005, 12:10 PM
Soldo: I got hooked up from an insurance company that we do a lot of business with. So they gave me the car at a ridiculous good price.

Chalalz: I was actually really considering the m3 kit. Reason being that I will be using this car as a daily driver and I dont want to go to extreme on the kit. I'm doing real estate as well so i want to look professional. But all this doesn't rule out any other body kits:D i'm still highly considering stuff from Reiger.

Crusher: Yah, that's probably what I will end up doing as far as engine goes. And BTW, i'm racing a 3.8L not the GT.

BTW, is anybody here using Nitrous?

thinair
10-11-2005, 12:38 PM
Honestly, the first speed mod you should look into is a LSD, anything from 3.15-3.38. The stock 2.93 is way too tall, plus the added benefit of the limited slip makes it even that much better. I ran a 14.7 1/4mile two years ago with a debaffled airbox, cat-back exhaust, 3.15LSD, and fan delete.

The diff will help you with the most acceleration gains. Next after that would be m50 manifold (more top end, some mid torque loss), M3 cams (more mid and top end), software after you get the manifold and cams (to regain some of the torque loss). Also don't forget to either debaffle the intake, or get a CAI before you go freeing up the rest of the intake tract.

The fan delete mod is good for a couple horses, and you don't need to worry about replacing a failing fan clutch, or broken fan blades flying everywhere. If you don't use or like traction control, you can remove the ASC throttle body as well to clean up the intake tract, the ASC TB sits at a 45 angle and acts as a bottleneck.

Also, don't forget the little things that make your driving experience better or safer before trying to make your car faster. Decent brake pads and tires, for the safety and control thing, and you'd be amazed how a short shift lever and a clutch stop can make driving a lot more fun.

If you got the 328 as a drag car you bought the wrong car. They can be fast, but you'll be taking out a second mortgage to catch up to prepped Civics, Mustangs and Cameros.

propr'one
10-11-2005, 12:50 PM
i beat a stock 2000 mustang the other day. it was auto though.

Im in the same position as you are. i got my 1998 328 5spd three days ago (its been in the shop for two of them *uzi* and STILL IS *thmbsdwn* )

it was a close race, but i was running 89 with a loose bearing and a faulty o2 sensor. Obviously if the stang wasn't auto it would have been a different story.

just out of curiosity, you're not upgrading your rims are you? im in the market for some stock 328 sport package rims

thanks *th-up*

Mystikal
10-11-2005, 01:49 PM
I find it funny guys are saying "Mustang GT" as if that's a specific car. GT's have run anywhere from 13's (new ones) to like high 15's.

You'll take ANY of the 3.8's, easily.

Kal
10-11-2005, 07:01 PM
Thinair - Thanks for all the information.. that's exactly what I was looking for! Yah, I'm definitely going to mod in that order. And believe me, you'll be seeing me at the track for sure. I'm definitely about speeding on turns rather then going in a straight line.

Propane - I'm going to keep my stock rims for now but am definitely going to upgrade to 18's or 19's in the summer. I have an extra set of winter rims anyhow. So when I decide to sell, you'll be the first notified.

Mystical - I hope I can take that stang .. Because after a little shit talking, we increased the wager to $100 haha.

mpower1226
10-11-2005, 07:07 PM
and you'd be amazed how a short shift lever and a clutch stop can make driving a lot more fun.

what does this clutch stop actually do? and how would it make it more fun?

i've seen it and its nothing more then a bolt with washer, isnt it?

Kal
10-12-2005, 03:33 PM
okay the car is missing the ****ing ECU for some reason ... any one have one they want to sell?

spooner_dee
10-12-2005, 03:58 PM
I was actually really considering the m3 kit.

no m3 kit..... you own a 328 not an m3 *wiggle*

reiger or ac schnitzer.... superb.

as for no2 well im a frim believer agains that being a first thought mod. to me itd be something id put after ive already maxed out every bit of power i can get from the engine... then id use it as the little edge.

Ive known people that have just put the kit on with out any mods at all other then a CAI. But id think for safety and reliability you would want to build up the internals a little to be ready to handle something like that.

Congrats on the new buy. NEED PICS!!!!!!!!!