PDA

View Full Version : 5 series bent rims

Darkness95m3
10-09-2005, 12:02 PM
Ok I'm trying to prepare the 540i for the winter. I won't be driving it during bad weather and when the roads are salty. Winter driving will be done in my Ford E350 Turbo Diesel. However just in case I need the 540i it has to be ready to perform the task.
I just purchased 4 brand new M5 Replica wheels for $799 with tax.
Yesterday I brought my Michellin winter tires to a local GM dealer for mounting. I left the tires and rims and I was asked to come back by noon.
Upon arriving back to the dealership they told me there was bad news.
All 4 rims are bent. They have mounted 2 tires on 2 of the rims and they could not even balance them. The other 2 that had no tires on them and required 2 Ouncez of weight just to balance them.
How can 4 brand new rims be bent?
Oh by the way they were made in China, go figure Q1.

Quack
10-09-2005, 12:24 PM
you get what you pay for, for them to not even be able to balance them tells me they are very bent, because you can even balance a bent rim to a certain degree, 2oz of weight on a rim is a little much for a brand new rim, but I have put more on a rim before, for the price you payed for the rim it's not even worth it to have the rims repaired

T.Dot_E30
10-09-2005, 12:45 PM
either they got bent during shipping....

Or the more likely cause is that they were manufactured poorly, and they were not balanaced when being designed, could be a poor cast.

Is the rim actually bent? like can u see it wobble or something, or does it look straight but just takes alot of weights

Darkness95m3
10-09-2005, 12:48 PM
you get what you pay for, for them to not even be able to balance them tells me they are very bent, because you can even balance a bent rim to a certain degree, 2oz of weight on a rim is a little much for a brand new rim, but I have put more on a rim before, for the price you payed for the rim it's not even worth it to have the rims repaired

I got a real good deal from a supplier, I supply him with computer parts.
He is taking them back and ordering me new ones. When the rim is spinning you can actually se the bends on the outer lip.

Darkness95m3
10-09-2005, 12:49 PM
either they got bent during shipping....

Or the more likely cause is that they were manufactured poorly, and they were not balanaced when being designed, could be a poor cast.

Is the rim actually bent? like can u see it wobble or something, or does it look straight but just takes alot of weights

You can actually see the front lip on all 4 rims wobble.

T.Dot_E30
10-09-2005, 01:23 PM
You can actually see the front lip on all 4 rims wobble.

then they couldn't have been made like that, they were probably dropped during transport.

where did you purchase them from? you should contact them soon and see what they say.

Paul540/m3
10-09-2005, 07:39 PM
I have style 5's for sale if your interested

bmdbley'sBro
10-10-2005, 11:16 AM
bent out the b0x new, wtf!?

that eats predigested corn :puke:

Soldo
10-10-2005, 01:52 PM
It seems to me if they were bent that much, you would be able to notice it just by looking at the rim. What i'm trying to say is, could there be the posibility that the shop mucked up the rims?

thinair
10-10-2005, 10:26 PM
If you can't get them replaced, check out www.wheelfix.com.

They'll pick them up and repair them.... Then again, if they bent from shipping (with no noticable finish damage) you might want to reconsider letting your 4000lbs vehicle sit on them.

windwagen
10-10-2005, 11:48 PM
I bought a set of those off my cousin - used, and a great price. I suppose they are straight. But, the offsets are different. The width is the same. They were on an M3, so I think the idea was to simulate the wider rears with the offset. Anyone heard of this before?

Darkness95m3
10-12-2005, 09:35 AM
It seems to me if they were bent that much, you would be able to notice it just by looking at the rim. What i'm trying to say is, could there be the posibility that the shop mucked up the rims?

The shop only completed 2 out of the 4. Installing the other 2 on the balancer the rim's also showed a woble.

EuroSpectacle
10-12-2005, 11:04 AM
Drakness take this into account seeing as you took them back and are ordering new ones it doesnt matter. but if you actually saw the rims bent than that also nulls and voids my comment.

but at a place i worked we had a brand new $10,000 balancer. We had a contract to maintain and winterize 8 745i's my boss grabbed some ronals and we could not get the damn things to balance. even with the proper cone. trying it reverse(the hub nut not the rim) and we ended up having to use wheel spacers to get a proper balance. All the ronals looked bent and were even giving us up to 3.45 off. we put the spacers on and balanced them we ended up needing like .50 a wheel. may be a different circumstance. but if you have the wheels still i would try that. if you dont and your getting new ones nevermind/.

Darkness95m3
10-12-2005, 02:13 PM
Drakness take this into account seeing as you took them back and are ordering new ones it doesnt matter. but if you actually saw the rims bent than that also nulls and voids my comment.

but at a place i worked we had a brand new $10,000 balancer. We had a contract to maintain and winterize 8 745i's my boss grabbed some ronals and we could not get the damn things to balance. even with the proper cone. trying it reverse(the hub nut not the rim) and we ended up having to use wheel spacers to get a proper balance. All the ronals looked bent and were even giving us up to 3.45 off. we put the spacers on and balanced them we ended up needing like .50 a wheel. may be a different circumstance. but if you have the wheels still i would try that. if you dont and your getting new ones nevermind/.

Thanks for the info. The company is getting new ones in tomorrow for me. They are checking them before they shipp them.

The company that tried to install my rims were also installing 2004 Corvette winter tires I believe 19" without any problems at all.

EuroSpectacle
10-12-2005, 04:03 PM
yeah they wouldnt have probs with chev rims.. its after market bmw rims that give problems.,,

Darkness95m3
10-12-2005, 05:12 PM
yeah they wouldnt have probs with chev rims.. its after market bmw rims that give problems.,,

I believe it's any aftermarket rims made in China

Hound
10-12-2005, 05:40 PM
damn that sucks hope all goes well for you. LOL @ a vette with snows, who would drive their vette in the winter??? even with snows the thing would proly be useless and not to mention the fact that the car is so low it might bottom out on any ammount of snow on the road. ouch!

EuroSpectacle
10-12-2005, 05:51 PM
lol well there is no doubt aftermarket rims are shit all together.. but most you can atleast get on the car and use them for a week or two before they are scrap