PDA

View Full Version : Finally:)

propr'one
10-08-2005, 03:52 AM
i own a bmw: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: *th-up* 80% of the people on this board do too. i know...

Alright, so today i bought my first bmw. Accually, its my first car. I picked up a 1998 328I. Its a 5spd, 167K. Interior looks good. Mechanically both mechanics that looked at it said engine & tranny were good, which are my main concearns. It does need new bearings, brakepads and tire's to certify, but i was aware of that before the car was purchased and the price was negotiated accordingly.

I do however have a few more trivial questions:

Despite the clutch in both my opinion and the opinon of a mechanic being fine, the clutch release is REALLY high. like 2/3s of the way up. I know a high clutch release can point to various problems, i honestly think its just set too high. I dont really like it that high, and am curious if there's a way to lower it.

Also, my OBC works, but the LCD is fux0red. like half the characters show up, the other half do not. If you like tap the screen and fidget with it or whatnot, most of them will come on independantly, but i can't get them all to work. (do i need to buy a new obc (its a 10 button one), and if so, where do i get one)

Also, the rpm needle at idle goes from like 600-800. Luckly i have both been reading threads in here for a while, and talked to a mechanic. its the o2 sensor. How hard of an install is it? where can i pick up an o2 sensor, and if you can only get them at the dealership, how much?

Also, are the 98 328's leather or vinyl leatherette. i can't tell :confused:

The driver window is off the rail. like the power windows work, but it falls off the rail and closes crooked unless you guide it up. how hard is that to fix?

The keyless unlock works most of the time. Battery in the remote?

ok that's basically all the problems (seems like a long list, i knew what i was getting into when i bought this car)

few other random things:

Do oem windshield wipers vs. craptire have noticable difference?
What's a good scratch remover?
Are there any products similar to RainX that work better than it does?

im sure i forgot to ask like 3 hundred questions, i'll be back:D

e36chick
10-08-2005, 12:06 PM
first off, good for you on getting the car! how much did you pay if you dont mind me asking?

the only question i can answer from the above is that it should be real leather, not vinyl...mine's a 98 328 and it is leather.

myndgone
10-08-2005, 12:26 PM
congrats on your 1st bimmer!!! *th-up*

just take it to Charlie and let him check it out all for you, he'll give you all the answers and best prices you can possibly get!

PM me if you want his phone #!

propr'one
10-08-2005, 12:26 PM
Thanks! i paid about 9500

propr'one
10-08-2005, 12:28 PM
You posted like 1 second before me, you got a PM

propr'one
10-08-2005, 12:29 PM
I know im postwhoring, but i just got a pm, the obc isn't a 10 button. i think its 18 (its whatever's stock)

Soldo
10-08-2005, 12:39 PM
Okay.... congrats on the buy, if you don't mind me askin, how much did you pick it up for? I ask this cause i'm trying to weigh my options to see if its worth me buying another E36!

Now, for the repairs..........

1. The clutch.... it really depends on HOW the car was driven by the previous owner, morons can wear out a clutch in no time (like ME!). From what i heard also, you can adjust the clutch pedal slightly, but if the techs say that its good, it should be alright, its how it Feels that determines if its good..... grab a clutch stop if this bugs you that much!!!

2. I believe you have an 11 button OBC, its either like 5 buttons (something like that) 11 or 18. If its dead pixels that you have, were theres a whole column that doesn't light up, your best bet would be to grab one of ebay, or theres quite a few 11 butt OBC's floating around on a buncha forums.

3. My idle does that from time to time, in my 325i. Doesn't bug me too much, but O2 sensors can be picked up from just about any place that sells auto parts! I believe the dealer uses bosch O2 sensors, and bosch o2's can be picked up EVERYWHERE! Its located under the car on the exhaust of the vehicle. Should be a fairly easy DIY job.

4. If you have a 328 it SHOULD have Leather, but letherette might have been an option. If its leather, after 160km you might be able to see some wear spots, THATS leather, the cheap stuff doesn't wear out as easily. Also, if it doesn't FEEL like leather, it probably isn't!

5. The window, ahhhhh the E36 window.... i HATE THEM! Its not an expensive job to fix, but its the biggest pain in the ass!!! More than likely the little plastic clip that the window arm clips into busted, and it came out of the track, go to the dealer and pick up the clip its only a couple bucks at the most, so grab a few. Also, to be on the safe side pick up the door pannel clips, cause if its your first time doing it your bound to bust at least a few clips onlong the way. Spend about $25 on all these little plastic door clipings and you should be set for life!

6. Ya, the batteries on the remote need replacing!

And the random things. The wipers, i dunno some people will probably tell you the dealer ones are better, but for what they cost, i don't thing they're worth it. Grab the CT ones and you should be pleased! Scratch remover, theres so many of them, stick with a decent company (mothers, meguirs, etc) and you should be good, but these things repair MINOR scratches, they can't perform miracles. Stick with RainX, i live by this shit, its the best thing since sliced bread!

And if you got any more questions just fire away, thats what most of us are here for!

Soldo
10-08-2005, 12:40 PM
haha, to determine the OBC, just count the buttons on it.... it's either an 11 or 18. The 18's are awesome!

app
10-08-2005, 03:42 PM
OBC's are easy to fix. It's a stupid ass connection. Usually takes double sided tape. If you push the obc right below the lcd screen (between the screen and buttons) and right where it's dead, do they light up? If so, it's fixable.

Justin e36
10-08-2005, 03:52 PM
Despite the clutch in both my opinion and the opinon of a mechanic being fine, the clutch release is REALLY high. like 2/3s of the way up. I know a high clutch release can point to various problems, i honestly think its just set too high. I dont really like it that high, and am curious if there's a way to lower it.

Yes, your mechanic can shorten your clutch cable, and also install a clutch stop to shorten the throw to the floor.

Also, my OBC works, but the LCD is fux0red. like half the characters show up, the other half do not. If you like tap the screen and fidget with it or whatnot, most of them will come on independantly, but i can't get them all to work. (do i need to buy a new obc (its a 10 button one), and if so, where do i get one)

You have an 11 button OBC. I used to fix these, but no more time to do it... the pixels are NOT dead. It's just the connection to them that is damaged (usually from dirt build up). You just need some spare time, some steady hands, and some conductive glue.

Also, the rpm needle at idle goes from like 600-800. Luckly i have both been reading threads in here for a while, and talked to a mechanic. its the o2 sensor. How hard of an install is it? where can i pick up an o2 sensor, and if you can only get them at the dealership, how much?

How do you know it's the o2 sensor for sure? Is your check engine light on? A fluctating idle could be your MAF, ICV, or o2 sensor. If you want to change your o2 sensor it's very very easy to change. You can do it yourself in around 5 minutes. You will have to get under the car to do it though as the o2 sensor plugs into the exhaust pipe before it hits the cat.

Also, are the 98 328's leather or vinyl leatherette. i can't tell :confused:

Leather.

The driver window is off the rail. like the power windows work, but it falls off the rail and closes crooked unless you guide it up. how hard is that to fix?

If it closes crooked you have a broken window regulator. Easy fix, takes some time to drill out the old rivets though.

The keyless unlock works most of the time. Battery in the remote?
Impossible to tell.. but try the battery before anything else.

Do oem windshield wipers vs. craptire have noticable difference?

I picked up some crappy tire teflon ones... no complaints.

What's a good scratch remover?
I prefer meguirs... but that's just me.

Are there any products similar to RainX that work better than it does?
They all work pretty much the same. I usually just stick with rainX and dump a bit in my windshield washer fluid as well. Instant application. :)

Enjoy your e36.

J

paul christians
10-08-2005, 04:11 PM
sweet pick, injoy it man...........

propr'one
10-08-2005, 05:20 PM
Awsome, thanks guys

Per chance if anyone's got a rear bearing (left side) i could get the car back on the road. My mechanic can get them from maranello's on tuesday, but i've had the car for 12 hours and now i gotta wait 5 days to drive it:(

Justin e36
10-08-2005, 09:00 PM
won't be able to get anything till Monday, sorry.

propr'one
10-08-2005, 09:43 PM
I just pm'd you but forgot to ask, how much is a used bearing? or new? im just curious how much its gonna run me. i know they aint cheap:(

Hound
10-09-2005, 12:56 AM
nice pick hope you enjoy the E36. *th-up*

Justin e36
10-09-2005, 01:35 AM
Yes, your mechanic can shorten your clutch cable, and also install a clutch stop to shorten the throw to the floor.

my mistake... I forgot our cars are hydrolic, no clutch cable. you will need a larger slave cylinder. (more fluid movement when you press, which makes the throw shorter).. or a top stop, I think UUC used to make a Stage 2 clutch kit which had a top stop in it as well. It may also be possible to put in a lighter return spring, but I'm not positive on this... anyone else know?

thanks sickfinga for pointing out my error. :)

propr'one
10-09-2005, 01:39 AM
Wait im confused. i want to have to push down MORE before the clutch dissengages. Wouldn't what you're suggesting do the opposite?

Darkness95m3
10-09-2005, 09:52 AM
Congrats on your 1st Bimmer. Now do your self a favour. No engine mods.

propr'one
10-09-2005, 11:23 AM
yeah i've been warned. It aint an m3, never will be. however a CAI and markd software may turn up sometime sooner, and an exhaust in a bit. but other than that money-> cosmetics

Darkness95m3
10-09-2005, 11:52 AM
yeah i've been warned. It aint an m3, never will be. however a CAI and markd software may turn up sometime sooner, and an exhaust in a bit. but other than that money-> cosmetics

MarkD software is a good way to go. However I would not replace any part on the car unless it has to be. Cosmetics is a better way to go.

propr'one
10-09-2005, 12:13 PM
yeah the exhaust is a little worn. i may want to put chrome tips on it, but if its very worn i'll just replace it