PDA

View Full Version : body kits

Suprano
10-04-2005, 02:14 PM
I'm looking to get a body kit for my e36 325is. I want to know which is better polyurethane or fibreglass?
also if anyone knows someone that does good work, I want to apply the skirts and repaint the car.
So what I'm looking for is a little advice.

Rob

AMI Motorsports
10-04-2005, 02:38 PM
We sell Reiger and Charactere. These are both made out of abs plastic which is much more durable then fiberglass. Fiberglass tends to shatter when it is struck where the abs just cracks. I would highly not recommend fiberglass if you are driving the vehicle all year around.

Thanks Adrian

Eurostyle
10-04-2005, 02:54 PM
The advantage of fiberglass over abs is the price, in general 1/2 to 1/3 of a palstic piece. It is also much more repairable then plastic, when fixed right it becomes just as good as new, with plastic most fillers dont stick to it and you get cracks in a few months. All transport truck hoods and some high end cars (eg Corvette) are made from fiberglass, and they seem to hold up. The biggest issue with fiberglass is who makes it, as quality ranges from horrible to excellent...

everlast
10-04-2005, 02:58 PM
I can vouch for the quality of fiberglass that eurostyle makes. I used to make fiberglass and carbon fibre kayak paddles, and the fiberglass bits I just bought from eurostyle are incredibly flexible.

Not bashing plastic, by any means. You can get plastic repaired by any experienced 'plastic welder'. Body shops usually know a good mobile plastic welder.

///eP
10-04-2005, 03:57 PM
being a plumber, and working with abs plastic, it takes alot and i mean alot to even crack abs, so personally i would go with the abs, fiberglass is maybe lighter, but there is no way its as durable as abs.

Suprano
10-04-2005, 04:01 PM
o.k sounds good. I appreciate the feedback.

I am looking for a Rieger type II front and a regular e36 M3 rear valence. The rear I want fibreglass, but the front something more flexible.
If you guys can quote me a price on either or both that would be great. I'm also looking for a place to do the work and repaint my car, so once again, if anyone knows a place it would be appreciated. A BMW guy needs ur help here.

Thanks
Rob

E36 Power
10-04-2005, 10:56 PM
Ive got a regular M3 rear bumper - fiberglass...Never mounted.

PM if interested

everlast
10-05-2005, 12:08 AM
being a plumber, and working with abs plastic, it takes alot and i mean alot to even crack abs, so personally i would go with the abs, fiberglass is maybe lighter, but there is no way its as durable as abs.

I don't know if you've seen any plastic body panels, but they ain't nothing like ABS pipe. First, pipe is round, transfering all load around itself so it is stronger, and second, it is WAY thicker than any body piece I've ever personally seen.

A fiberglass piece and ABS piece are usually nearly the same weight, to give you an idea of how thin the panels usually are.

Eurostyle
10-05-2005, 12:19 AM
I don't know if you've seen any plastic body panels, but they ain't nothing like ABS pipe. First, pipe is round, transfering all load around itself so it is stronger, and second, it is WAY thicker than any body piece I've ever personally seen.

A fiberglass piece and ABS piece are usually nearly the same weight, to give you an idea of how thin the panels usually are.

To compare those two is like apples and oranges...The field of use for them is so different, its like saying "copper is good for pipes, so lets make body panels from it"...lol

everlast
10-05-2005, 12:30 AM
Holy crap.. a copper car. that would be super cool. Like a gold Delorean! :D

Woofer
10-05-2005, 12:30 AM
I have a fiberglass kit from eurostyle and its great. i finally hit my first curb and it's fine. All it needs is some touch up.

///eP
10-05-2005, 02:47 PM
ok, here we go, lol i too bought a rieger front end + lip from eurostyle, and both split, so i went with the real deal rieger (abs), no problems, just ask yourself why a company like rieger would make there product out of abs as appose to fibreglass?? just to be diff from all the other companies. come on.

Eurostyle
10-05-2005, 03:06 PM
ok, here we go, lol i too bought a rieger front end + lip from eurostyle, and both split, so i went with the real deal rieger (abs), no problems, just ask yourself why a company like rieger would make there product out of abs as appose to fibreglass?? just to be diff from all the other companies. come on.

Thats an easy one: Because after you make the big $$$ investment for the plastic molds, the parts are made quicker and cheaper then fiberglass. Bit to do this you need to sell TONS, or you wont make a profit. Just look at Rieger's most expensive parts, E30 GTS kits, Genesis wide body etc...they are all (and ONLY) made from glass...

Suprano
10-05-2005, 03:24 PM
I understand what everyone is saying, however, why would BMW use ABS over anything else. This may be rhetorical because an obvious answer could be price, but why are abs pieces and polyurethane more expensive than f-glass???
I asked a technician at BMW experience in Whitby and he told me that abs is better for impact in collisions and therefore much safer. It seems no one can give a concise answer as to which is the ultimate material to purchase a body kit in.

everlast
10-05-2005, 03:35 PM
It's not black and white, there are more than a few factors. You have to arm yourself with some facts and make up your own damn mind.

- ABS will perform better in an impact
- fiberglass is much more easily repaired
- fiberglass is easy to work with, so there are more parts available
- since its easy to work with, people like eurostyle can make pieces for a fraction the cost of an ABS version
- ABS and fiberglass both have varying quality, temperature factors, etc, that depend on the material used *meaning every piece may be different*

So, you see, asking which is 'better' is like asking whether it's better to have a $1000 deductible vs. $300 on your insurance; it depends on what your circumstances are.

Do you think you will get into an impact with the body kit? If so, will it be small or large? If you hit raccoon at 40kph, a fiberglass piece may crack, vs 60kph for abs (COMPLETELY hypothetical) but if you hit it at 80, the abs piece might be a write-off where the fiberglass piece might be repairable.

Personally, I don't see how abs / fiberglass is safer one way or the other. Neither has any structural quality.

Good luck.

My personal opinion: get what you like the look of. If you have the choice in your look of ABS / fiberglass, weigh the monetary costs to YOUR liking. You're the only one that can make that decision.

Eurostyle
10-05-2005, 03:41 PM
IThis may be rhetorical because an obvious answer could be price, but why are abs pieces and polyurethane more expensive than f-glass???

Because of the name! Brand name companies have high price tags in general,for the price of a Rieger Infinity bumper you can get OEM M3 skirt from the dealer. Plastic parts are very cheap to produce in high quantity...For example, a VW palstic bumper for Mk2's can be purchased for about $100...

Suprano
10-05-2005, 04:02 PM
I see

everlast
10-05-2005, 04:12 PM
Not the easy answer you were looking for, I'm sure, but hopefully it helped more than hindered. :)

///eP
10-05-2005, 11:26 PM
fiberglass is nice because it is a bit lighter in mass than ABS. also, should something happen to it, it is pretty easily repairable by using fiberglass patch kits. the down side is that you're gonna have to get it painted by a pro, even though you can easily repair it yourself.

ABS on the other hand, is a little heavier but because it has a much higher elasticity than fiberglass it can take more punishment from dings/scratches/pebbles. also, it is a touch more expensive then fiberglass.

personally, i like ABS better because she can take more punishement than fiberglass and scratches are easily buffed out and the stuff can easily be repainted by yourself. a small bump with abs won't do shit but a small bump with fiberglass might crack the whole thing.

but it all boils down to money. go with what you can afford.

Suprano
10-06-2005, 12:05 PM
I can't afford to buy things that are gonna cost me more money down the road. F-glass is fine for sides and rear, but I think I will go w/ abs for the front bumper.

If anyone is selling front bumpers made of abs, I'd be interested. Particilarly the Rieger stuff.