PDA

View Full Version : How much for a new engine?

djc0ntra
01-18-2002, 11:23 AM
How much can i expect to pay for a new engine?

My 2.5L obd1 engine is going to tire out in the year to come i believe with 210,000km's on it right now
and i should probably get it changed around the 260,000 mark (which is pretty easy for me to put on in about 1 years time with the ammount of driving i do for work)

I was thinking of putting a 2.8L engine in it, and maybe overboring it to 3.1L or even risk the 3.2L

How much would the engine cost?
(preferrably for one around the 100,000km mark or less)

How much for the conversion to make it 3.1L?

Also, would it be cost effective to get a new tranny on there too, (maybe a swap to a manual tranny? i see manual trannies and all pumps with equipment for dirt cheap all the time)

NickP
01-18-2002, 03:28 PM
Why do you think its going to tire out? Is it burning oil or feeling sluggish? Or do you just want more performance :P

Why don't you have a mechanic perform a compression AND leak down test to find out the condition of your engine now?

If the bottom end is in good, why don't you just freshen up the head with some port work and new cams, etc. It'll be way cheaper than putting in a newer 2.8 and will have make more hp, but less useable torque. Do a good tuneup on it, check out the coils and replace as necessary and you're laughing!

djc0ntra
01-18-2002, 07:31 PM
Yeah maybe that's a thought
my car is simply awsome at 3000rpm and higher, and does really well at high speeds (i hung with a new 330ci up until my last gear and then it killed me as my tranny shifted lol)

I just think the engine does poorly at the low end, and seems to suck up alot of gas.
I've checked the obvious, tire pressure, air filter, injector cleaner, changed spark plugs, etc

How much does a tune up cost? I've never had a complete one done on any car i've ever owned.

thanks

Slowered318
05-23-2002, 01:18 AM
DJcontra I know this is an old thread but did you ever find out what the problem was.. I have the same thing with my engine it doesn't run well under 3000 rmp. what kinda engine do you have?

SickFinga
05-23-2002, 02:03 AM
I dunno, but I think all cars doesn't accelerate until engine passes 3000rpms.
on my car it's the same it accelerates much faster after 3000rpms

Usic
05-23-2002, 10:19 AM
The shop I work at can import eurospec motors if your interested email me at uschoi@tmsnr.com

Oh and the price is cheaper than the north american spec motors

djcontra
05-23-2002, 03:43 PM
yeah my hesitation problem is almost gone
the new chip in my car helped the most, as well as an oil change, wheel balance, throttle body clean, and correct tire pressure all helped remove alot of hesitation in my car. There is still that one little bit, but i'm not too worried. I've heard to check either the O2 sensor or TPC. Until i know they're broken, i'm not replacing either of them.

My engine runs beautiful right now. I feel the chip made the biggest difference. It almost feels like my engine could run up into the 300,000km mark without any trouble.
it's at about 215,000 right now

Harry
05-23-2002, 07:56 PM
If ti makes you feel better, i have a friend you droves and e30 325i with more than 550,000 k on it, and still going strong.