PDA

View Full Version : Legal in ontario? corner fogs

Python Parts
10-03-2005, 12:12 PM
I had a random thought:

Paint the amber corners body-colored -- opaque.

Turn the fogs into corners and wire them up accordingly and appropriate bulbs so they flash amber.

For somebody who knows the highway traffic act better than myself, is this legal? Is there a reason that the ambers stretch across the side of the car and can be seen from the side?

ara325
10-03-2005, 12:16 PM
I had a random thought:

Paint the amber corners body-colored -- opaque.

Turn the fogs into corners and wire them up accordingly and appropriate bulbs so they flash amber.

For somebody who knows the highway traffic act better than myself, is this legal? Is there a reason that the ambers stretch across the side of the car and can be seen from the side?

why bother going through all that hassle? spend your energy on performance mods...jusy my opinion. *th-up*

fukenricen
10-03-2005, 12:28 PM
let me understand what your saying

wire the corners on the fenders as your fogs and wire your fogs to flash ,it seems legal as long as thats what your trying to do.

as long as you have an indication on the side of the car and the front that can be seen flashing then go right ahead but if the front is only flashing and if you cant tell your turning from driving beside you then it is illegal.

Gamite
10-03-2005, 12:32 PM
I think by law, you must have an orange reflector. But a lot of car's get rid of them, and I don't think they've been hassled.

I dunno why you would want to turn your fogs into turn signals. The downside is that you wouldn't be able to see it from the side of the car, if you have side markers, then I guess this doesn't really matter. And fogs on E36 I presume, are obviously fog lights, so you wouldn't exactly be fooling anybody. Another thing, if you ask me, having fog lights is much more beneficial than body colour matching your corners.

I think there are much more clever ways you might want to incorporate a signal light. Perhaps LED's built within your headlight housing.

fukenricen
10-03-2005, 12:59 PM
i agree with gamite dont bother with it

vinay
10-03-2005, 07:29 PM
hmmm

Python Parts
10-03-2005, 07:30 PM
Right now I have stock amber corners.. because

1. the "clears" or white reflecting corner assembleys, to my eyes, stand out like they dont belong
2. The black inside housing ones with bulbs (as seen on ebay) dont exactly follow OEM feel and look kindof awkward

So I was thinking to just body color my corners and get rid of them.. i.e. make them mold into the car...

I have side amber reflectors so you can tell i'm turning from the side...

The fogs atleast look like they were made for the car... if I put amber bulbs in them, you can tell I'm turning from the front...

It's a little "unique" thought I'll admit .. When the fogs flash amber it'll look a little odd (they're quite low compared to regular bulbs) ..

Justin e36
10-04-2005, 05:30 AM
Python.. I hear ya.. I body colored my turn signals too.. but they're black, and my car is black.. so it's not a big deal. I've been through the OEM clear turns, ambers, chome turns, ebay black turns with a bulb inside, ebay black V2 and V3 turns...... none have made me happy. So I ended up with the body color turns and it seems to flow the best yet.

However, corner signal delete is part of the Rennsport Widebody kit.. so it has been done before. This isn't really new ground.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v190/irvphotos/widebody1.jpg

I believe it is legal as long as you have fender turn signals.. modding your fogs to be turn signals wouldn't be difficult to do either.

djcontra
10-04-2005, 07:45 AM
I believe it's required by law that you have both front, rear, and side visible turn signals, and that they flash an amber colour (whether it by a bulb or reflector). You can mount your turn signals anywhere on the front and rear of the car as long as they can visibly be seen while flashing when looking directly at them as well as from the side of the car. The purpose of them being even partially visible from the side of the car is so that other drivers dont accidentally change lanes into you at night when visibility is poor. Having the reflector wrap around to the side, or by having an independant side flasher are both acceptable.

p.s. I converted one of my old fiero's turn signals into fogs, and then molded in wrap around signals from another car into the lip of my front bumper; never had a problem with the law about those.

King Luis
10-04-2005, 08:26 AM
i heard that the sides don't need to flash. they just need to have a reflector...but in a e30 and if i HAD EURO TRIM ;) (look at sig) which gets rid of it and keeps the stock look, i don't think anyone would notice.

btw, fogs as signals i don't think so. i like the idea of having a LED in your headlight though.