PDA

View Full Version : Tranny trouble and check engine

Deep 3.2TL
10-02-2005, 11:35 PM
Hi All,

Major problem - my tranny light came on and all of a sudden I can't reverse. I turned off the car and checked if there were any major leaks, nothing. Then when I tried to get it some, massive jerking on the shifting and the car died. Then I restarted and got it back to my friends place around the corner. Waited for my dad to come get me and he brought his friend a mechanic. He started the car and the tranny worked fine! The check engine light came on and stayed on, but the shifting was smoother then ever! Then we had to break suddenly due to an idiot driver and the tranny light came on again and the shuddering started again. The car is in front of Mississauga BMW right now. Any thoughts, suggestions, any help at all before I have to decide what to do tomorrow morning? It's a '99 323i.

Thanks for reading,

Deep (seriously wondering why I ever bought a BMW)

Soldo
10-03-2005, 12:46 AM
hahaha, sorry man, i don't mean to laugh, but that last comment is funny!

When something big goes on a BMW i think everyone thinks why the hell they bought one in the first place!

A similar thing happened to my moms car, she has a 2000 323 and i was driving it one day and when i went to put it in reverse it just wouldn't go. No lights came on, but the car was ****ed. Me and my pops ended up pullin the tranny out, and as it turns out the reverse gear boke (after some research, we found that the ZF trannys aren't too great on the E46 cars) and it was common for that to happen!

We ended up having to rebuild the entire tranny. Cost about 1200 but the amount of time it took to rebuild the bastard was terrible!!
Unless that car is under warrenty, i'm gonna have to say its gonna be a BIG JOB, i know thats not what you wanna hear, but i hope it helps with the decision making!

Deep 3.2TL
10-03-2005, 08:13 AM
Thanks Jon, definetly not what I wanted to hear, but at least I know.

As for the last comment in my message, if you search on the number of problems I've posted on this board, you'll see this isn't the first or an isolated incident. This is why I say this...

Thanks,

Deep

myndgone
10-03-2005, 08:36 AM
call this number if it is tranny...

905-696-8330 Mississauga Automatic Transmission, ask for Mark. He used to work for Toronto Auto transmission downtown and now he has his own place on Meyerside and Tomken. Few members on here are his customers. Give it a shot, see what he says!

Deep 3.2TL
10-03-2005, 07:40 PM
Well - the tranny's shot. BMW Mississauga, who were great by the way, ran the diagnostics for me. I paid for 1/2 labour, fair in my books, for them to run the computer diagnostic and they hoisted the car and checked the tranny and it's fluids. Sure enough, the fluids looked like crap.

The thing the drives me nuts is that this was supposed to be one of those "lifetime" tranny's. Apparently not.

Charlie gave me the best price and will be starting the work tomorrow. Definetly not a cheap job. No where near the $1200 Jon had to pay - I guess it's cause he did the work himself... Total job is running me $2850 taxes inc. back on the road.

Thanks,

Deep

Soldo
10-04-2005, 12:43 AM
The names Keven, haha. But the job for the parts was 1200, my dad took the car to a MR. Transmission that gave us a REALLY good price. Then when we tool the car in, they hiked up the price once the tranny was already removed and were asking something in the range of like 4g. So my dad told them where to go, towed the car home and we did it outselves, It was a total bitch and it was a 'LIFETIME' tranny aswell, and we had to buy the lifetime oil which costs more than GOLD per pound!!!

Well sorry to hear and let us know how she drives when shes done!

Deep 3.2TL
10-04-2005, 08:36 AM
Whoops! Sorry Keven!

Ya I've heard that the fluid is crazy... Mississauga BMW actually gave me a decent price for the EXACT same tranny that Charlie's getting me. They told me $3200, which isn't too bad, but Charlie better and I have to say that I feel very comfortable with him since so many people here swear by him and his work has never been bad mouthed (from what I see) here...

Thanks, I'll let you know how it turns out...

Deep

Bill Gates
10-04-2005, 08:45 AM
Hey Deep, sorry to hear about your tranny... Charlie's an excellent mechanic so you left it in good hands. i might swing by Charlie's tonight so i might see u there...

Deep 3.2TL
10-04-2005, 08:51 AM
Thanks Warren - It's a shitter - but there isn't much I can do!

BTW: I'll have a response to your email today... When are you going by? I have to call Charlie and swing by.

Thanks,

Deep