PDA

View Full Version : waxed the e36 and I think I fu@#ked up

bmnorm
10-01-2005, 11:40 PM
Guys I need help, I decided to wax my car and it looks glossy.

These are the steps I took.

1: washed the car and dried it.
2: applied turtle wax on the car with the buffer and let it dry for about 1hr.
3: changed the applicator on the buffer and tried to take off the wax, half way through the car I notice the car is starting to look blury, changed the applicator again and kept waxing. still looked blury, glosy etc. (like Sh@#t)
4: decided to wait longer about 2hrs, tried again i got off all of the wax but it still does not have a mirror finish. (still looks like sh%^t)

I am going to leave it overnight, the wax seems to look like it's off but I can still see the swrils marks on the car.

what should i do? help.

thanks guys

King Luis
10-01-2005, 11:52 PM
if it's what i think it is, you have to keep on buffing out the wax until it goes clear.
does it kind alook like there is streaks???

Antz_Marchin
10-02-2005, 12:55 AM
ummm....well I think that for a conventional "cheap" wax like tutrle wax, 1 hour is waaaaay too long. I let me Eagle One wax cure for 5-10 minutes max, and go section by section. Were you using a random orbital or just a circulating machine? If it was cicrulating and you arent experienced, the speed could have gotten too high and given you paint rash. Try a spray on quick detailer and try polishing/wiping off the wax with it.....not too sure about this but if all else fails, a clay bar with quick detailer as a lubricant might strip the wax haze. Good Luck......Try on the detailing section of www.M3forum.com those guys know their stuff. Later

bmnorm
10-02-2005, 12:57 AM
king luis
it looks like the car has clear oil on it,
whatever direction I move the towel I can see the streak...
I guess your right. I will wax it until it all comes off.

Antz_Marchin
I porbably did mess it up. because I can see clear dots behind the paint. and in front I get the streak. (if that makes any sense)
I am going to try waxing it all off. if it still looks the same I will try the detail thing you mentioned.
If that fails I am going to take it to a detail shop.

thanks anyways.

spooner_dee
10-02-2005, 08:43 AM
the biggest common mistakes when waxing are.

1 letting the wax sit too long. : you should after washing the car, apply wax to areas no bigger then 1-2 square feet at a time, let sit for no more then a few min and buff out, that gives you the nice mirror finish, do this till the whole car has been done, then do it again if desired

2 APPLYING WAX IN THE SUN!!! never ever ever ever do this, never apply car wax to a heated surface on a car, the wax will cure right away and be a real bitch to get off. always wax in the shade or in a garage.

3 not really a bad thing just a cautious thing. When waxing it really should be done by hand not with a neumatic (air driven) buffer or any power buffer for that matter. It can cause bad swirl marks, can heat up the wax causing residue build up etc. Apply with hand in small soft circles, let sit for 5 min, then wax off...

follow those simple guide lines and your car will be bright and shiney and look amazing

as for whats on your car now, your gonna have to buff for awhile to get it out, dont use too much pressure. you could maybe try doing a light coat like i mentioned it might help you out in this situation, try a small area like on the trunk and see if a lil wax helps...

RevShoT
10-02-2005, 09:32 AM
the mistakes u made was repeadly letting it sit for hours on end, wax should no more then 10 min to be let sitting.

and u shouldnt do more then 1 pannel at a time or half a hood cause it will harden before you can get it off

M3ti Compact
10-02-2005, 04:44 PM
The way I understand it is you apply it slowly with a slow rotating thing. Then, using a clean cloth, wipe it off FAST after letting it sit for like 10 mins. After wiping off everything, go around another time and buff out places that need it.

The way I do it- just apply wax all around the car. By the time you are done, go back to where you started- the wax should have cured by then and you can start wiping it off.

Marky_mark
10-02-2005, 05:25 PM
I can help you out as I am a detailer so heres what you need to do its going to be work but your pay off will be worth it.
first you need to re-wash your car use a dish shop as it will strip off all the wax build up on your car you will have to rinse your car really well to remove all the shop and use a little bit of dish shop not a lot like a cap full at most. then use a a clean chamois to dry your car. As for wax the over the counter stuff you buy at canadian tire heres what you need to get meguiars tech wax is a really good product and easy to use or you can use mothers carnauba wax also eagle one makes a wax called nanowax i used the nanowax on my bothers car worked really nice but I like meguiars better. Also when waxing your car use a small amout of wax you don't need to use lots just a a little as you go use an cotton applictaor pad damp it with some watter as it helps spreads the wax more evenly when done waxing it start taking the wax of right away don't let the wax sit for a long time 10mins at most. Use a microcloth I love them they work great and wont scratch your paint you can get these a crappy tire also. and if you have a soft brush like a small paint brush it will get the wax out of the cracks around the doors and door handels and trim areas of the car. Good luck I hope to your car has a flawless finish after your done and take your time as it will make the job look much better if you need some help pm me or email me
Mark

Furious
10-02-2005, 05:48 PM
the wax sat too long, it should never sit 1hour, the best way to do a good wax job is a quarter pannel at a time , not the entire car at once.

mpower1226
10-02-2005, 06:10 PM
as Marky Mark said, you could use dishsoap as it will strip everything but keep in mind that now the paint surface is prone to all other contamination.
You should follow up with other protections.

Also, wax sitting too long, its not always the case. It depends on the product you use, in fact, what I use for my customers, the longer I wait the more shine it will bring out. I've personally waited more then 10 hours to strip out, no residue buildup, no strake, just mirror finish surface. But it all depends on the product you use.

Antz_Marchin
10-02-2005, 06:48 PM
I wanna say it again for fun, since it's becoming a popular phrase. You let the wax sit tool long. Marky Mark, I use the Nanotech stuff on my M3 and i love how it works, if you have any light clearcoat swirls, this stuff is small enough "nano" to get into everything and make it disappear.....Good reccomendation. As for the dish soap, I completely forgot to mention that, but while you're at it, make sure to use Dawn unscented stiff......has the most natural content and will be the least harmful to your clearcoat.....If you wanna spend $$ on the real stuff, (wax, etc) check out www.eshine.ca It's in Canada and shipping is free over $100. Go with the Klasse/P21S combo....Good Luck

Dave535
10-04-2005, 01:15 AM
a good wax that i like to use is Zymmol. its not too expensive and its german.

Ital_325i
10-04-2005, 01:40 AM
a good wax that i like to use is Zymmol. its not too expensive and its german.

My brother uses this on the 87 MB 300D. After washed and waxed, car looks brand new. *th-up*