PDA

View Full Version : dead battery?

icu
09-27-2005, 10:14 PM
Ok so after washing and waxing the car I applied some Lexol leather conditioner great stuff the leather looks new and smells like well .. leather. Whilst doing all of this I had all doors and trunk open for about 3 hours , when I started the car ... dead .. I checked the voltage and read 11.5 , is this enough of a volt drop to not start the car or do I have a short somewhere? I put a new batt in and she started right up. As this is a loner batt I will have to buy another soon ! Any thoughts on this ? also when I disconected the batt I lost all radio settings and code came up on the com screen , how will I locate this code as I am second owner and the 1st is no longer in this province . :confused:

e30jones
09-27-2005, 11:41 PM
12.6+ volts is considered approximately 100% charge in a car battery IIRC. Once you start to get lower than 12.4, you're gonna have trouble starting your car, less than 12 and it's probably not gonna happen at all. All you did was drain your battery, go and get it recharged. Crappy tire does this for free, you just have to take it out and bring it into the parts counter. You could also go and buy a battery charger and do it yourself at home.

edit: i'm pretty sure you can get the code for the radio from the dealer, but I'm not sure 100% as to how to go about this. Maybe someone else will chime in, might be helpfull to incl. model & yr.

Docherty
09-28-2005, 12:04 AM
due to how old the battery is it might just take a simple boost to start the car. An alternator will maintain a charge ......... if its good put the old one in. ( get it checked , you might have killed a cell ) Call the dealer and give them the vin,it might be in your radio hand book,or give them the radio cerial #.

paul christians
09-28-2005, 12:08 AM
graham if remember I will gring my tester on FRI...cheers... or if you get it fix by than..call the dealer or go to them for it..

icu
09-28-2005, 09:51 PM
well it seems that after 6 years the mighty bmw orig batt is toast , when we out a load on it several cells seem to be caput, so it is that I have no choice to buy another $2oo from bmw or $116 from delco both 650 crankers so Ill go for the del I cant see the extra bucks for the orig . as for the code well the dealer has no record of the unit and told me I will have to pull the radio out to get the serial num then they can send me the code, going to Munich mtrs thurs Mike ashures me this is no problem . Have a cricket sound coming from fan mtr at low speed hope this isint the demize of this guy! thanks for the come back see you fri night. :)

icu
09-29-2005, 09:47 PM
graham if remember I will gring my tester on FRI...cheers... or if you get it fix by than..call the dealer or go to them for it.. Well Im back in biz with a new batt , sadly no code could be found for the radio , the serial num is not in there records , maybe this was a unit from another car or from germany that was not regesterd , at any rate my mech has told me of a shop in miss that will recode for $50. any thoughts on this? Have to work ot on fri night may not be able to meet but will ttu zoon. *smoke*

paul christians
09-30-2005, 01:04 AM
that is fine on both things, If we don't see you on FRIDAY next week...