PDA

View Full Version : high fuel consumption?

Justin e36
09-23-2005, 09:13 PM
my fuel economy went down the drain these past few days.. and bad. car doesn't want to accelerate anymore.

new spark plugs, new fuel filter, cleaned fuel system. So far I'm thinking maybe the injectors are stuck open, or my cat is blocked, possibly MAF problem?

Any ideas?.. Where to check next. My consumption right now is around 1L per 2km... and it's a 318 engine under the hood! (think about that!... imagine drinking a L every 2km you drive!) This cruise tonight is going to drain my wallet.

J

Kal
09-23-2005, 10:32 PM
o2 sensor?

ChahalzBMR
09-24-2005, 01:26 AM
what!? Sure it's not leaking? That's some crazy gas guzzling!

djcontra
09-24-2005, 01:37 AM
if the injectors were to stick open i would imagine it would run really rough as well. How is the idle, does it surge at all signalling a vaccum or air leak? Are all your ignition coils working alright? When you took the plugs out to replace them, did they show that the engine was unning normally, or did you see any signs of problems? Is there any carbon around the tips of your tailpipes?

Justin e36
09-24-2005, 06:01 AM
... engine runs perfectly fine, idle is still at the normal 800rpm. Acceleration while in idle is fine.. but while driving, is much slower. Thought perhaps I had a seized caliper.. but I don't. All berings are fine. Checked for any air leaks, all is fine. Ignition coils were tested and replaced for preventive maintenance today too. No carbon around the tips of the tailpipes... however, my o2 sensor was covered in carbon which is odd.

DriveItSideways
09-26-2005, 05:06 PM
put the 4 banger back in :D

Darkness95m3
09-26-2005, 05:43 PM
my fuel economy went down the drain these past few days.. and bad. car doesn't want to accelerate anymore.

new spark plugs, new fuel filter, cleaned fuel system. So far I'm thinking maybe the injectors are stuck open, or my cat is blocked, possibly MAF problem?

Any ideas?.. Where to check next. My consumption right now is around 1L per 2km... and it's a 318 engine under the hood! (think about that!... imagine drinking a L every 2km you drive!) This cruise tonight is going to drain my wallet.

J

O2 Sensor or MAFS. The MAFS was the problem with my car.

RevShoT
09-26-2005, 05:58 PM
if the 02 sensor was the problem it would make the idle bog and run rough (most of the time)

is your car shifting ok? there could be a dead cylinder too.... u know how to check the ignition coils with a volt metre?

check your compression as well, that could be the culperate here, headgasket. loosing compression will cause loss in power and bad gas milage too

Darkness95m3
09-26-2005, 06:21 PM

J

Hey Justin how about bad tank of gas.
I once filled up and the car had no power. After 3 or 4 days I filled up and the car ran fine.

paul
09-30-2005, 06:14 PM
you guys know that a bad battery can cause a car to run rich

JimZYellow
09-30-2005, 07:26 PM
Maybe someone is siphoning your gas. :D

Jon@Bimmersport
09-30-2005, 07:37 PM
do a compression check..i had the same symptons..and did the check today, i am loosing compression..it'd save you a lot of time instead of switching all those filters and such.

propr'one
09-30-2005, 07:49 PM
jimzyellow is right, im stealing your gas:)

Justin e36
10-02-2005, 03:31 PM
Hey Justin how about bad tank of gas.
I once filled up and the car had no power. After 3 or 4 days I filled up and the car ran fine.

Looks like this was the problem right here. I took out my O2 sensor, tested it, cleaned it... no luck. I drove my car till the gas was empty, and put in some new Sunoco 94... gas mileage is back to around 700km per tank. (318i).

Think I got some bum gas before. Glad it wasn't a real problem with the car. :S

mirek
10-02-2005, 03:32 PM
you guys know that a bad battery can cause a car to run rich

:confused: :rolleyes: