PDA

View Full Version : Engine Options

uber e36
09-17-2005, 09:58 PM
Well we are all (nearly) in the search of an M vehicle one day...

Driving a '95 325is is a blast, but I have the bug for more power. Obviously the first alternative that comes to mind is to drop in an M3 engine... This has it's positives and negatives...

I'd like to get the opinions of a few...

Do I:

a) take my current engine and do some work on it (what work?).
b) swap in a 328 engine and do work on it
c) swap in an m3 engine...

For $/power ratio - what are your opinions?

The problem with option A is that my current engine is about to turn 300k *par-t*

I know this has been discussed over and over - but I'd love opinions!

-Geoff

paul christians
09-17-2005, 10:17 PM
go with (b) and some work then S/C........

atOm
09-17-2005, 11:01 PM
try driving a 1.8, I'd go with option b or c...

Understated
09-18-2005, 12:20 AM
i vote NO to a swap...restore your car to stock..git a ///m...install the mods on ur current e36.....live happier ever after.....sure it'll be a biatch..but you'll be way happier than just having an engine swap...

Justin e36
09-18-2005, 02:52 AM
can't comment.
need to know your budget first.

Jon@Bimmersport
09-18-2005, 11:44 AM
i vote NO to a swap...restore your car to stock..git a ///m...install the mods on ur current e36.....live happier ever after.....sure it'll be a biatch..but you'll be way happier than just having an engine swap...

not neccessarily, u didnt consider insurance??

im in the same boat, my 325 boogies, but only after 4000rpm...im considering a chip, proper intake and full exhaust, bored t/b and thats all i got for bolt ons (**** $1000 for headers). But where will that get me? The cost of that is about 2225, im better off with a stock M3 drivetrain, or better yet an OBD1 328 drivetrain..since i already have a 3.15LSD.

Did you by any chance research where we can find M52s here in toronto? maybe if they got 2 with trannies, OBD1 ecu harness and manifold we can get a discount both buying them?

As far as suspension goes...i already have eibach springs, im gettin bilsteins after winter for now its KYB in there, eibach sway bars, M3 bushings, MZcoupe RTAB (i think thats then MZC one), the car handles nice as it is...now its time to improve power.

Personally, I'm aiming for a 3L or OBD1 3.2L swap...to me its worth the wait, with bolt ons i can be hitting 300hp (crank), to me that sounds good for a start...and plus i will have N/A reliability. From there on i still have the option of FI, or build it up N/A or just leave it. If i turbo my motor, which would be good too (non vanos) but i feel that after a while ill be bored, yea sure turn up the boost more, build the motor..but in the end its cheap to get a 3.2L turbo hitting 450rwhp. IMO, its just better....especially after seeing a certain stage 3RMS E36 M3 in action. :D :D

atOm
09-18-2005, 01:30 PM
hmmm, I just want somthing better then the 1.8, I can get my hands on the 97 328i, but then I would have to change it to obd1, best thing to do... but What would I be looking at $$$ to change every thing over???!

Jon@Bimmersport
09-18-2005, 01:48 PM
Depends on where you source your parts from, and since you have a 1.8..you gotta get 6cyl suspension. brakes are common though between 318/325/328 so your still good there. you need a new exhaust though for a 6cyl, new engine mounts, new cooling system, i think the difference might jus get u a 328 if u sold ur car, i'd rather do that. see the 6cyl guys can re-use their engine mounts, exhaust and all because it all bolts up.

uber e36
09-18-2005, 07:00 PM

Well I've already invested a decent penny in my car. It's got full M3 OEM body, brand new paint job, etc... And this will just be a fun car for me in future... I plan to driving alot nicer/faster cars in the near future, but this is the one I get to tinker with now and again...

<b>Justin</b> - What I'm trying to do right now is work on what different options will cost me. I'd say realistically, I would want to keep it between $2-3k if I'm only working on my engine or using a 2.8. If I'm going M3, then I know it's going to be +$4k.

I guess what I'm wondering is: can M3 power be gained for less money modifying a 2.5 or 2.8 than swapping for an M3 engine?

-Geoff

mpower1226
09-18-2005, 07:35 PM
I rather spend money for swapping for performance driving schools.

Its much fun driving 1.8 on the track then drive m3 engine car on the street.

but you have 2.5 engine which is more then what you would need.

power aint nothing when you cant control it.

Jon@Bimmersport
09-18-2005, 11:01 PM
isnt the track a lot different than the street?

i mean, the track isnt design with the same design as the street, its made for a different purpose, so wouldnt the experience used on the track itself be only half useful? i mean the principle would be similar but wouldnt the technique differ on the track/street?

sloveniaboy
09-18-2005, 11:28 PM
go turbo and grab a 3.38 lsd ;)

mpower1226
09-19-2005, 01:20 AM
isnt the track a lot different than the street?

i mean, the track isnt design with the same design as the street, its made for a different purpose, so wouldnt the experience used on the track itself be only half useful? i mean the principle would be similar but wouldnt the technique differ on the track/street?

not necessraily, high performance driving school doesnt teach you to drive fast on the track. they teach you how to drive safely and fast at the same time. Also they teach alot of aspecs of driving like how to react to certain condition and so on. Which, in my opinion, will save you and your loved one should a unfortunate accident occurs.

you may only use half of what you have learned in school, but that half will save your ass.

paul
09-19-2005, 02:52 PM
yes i agree take it from me $ per hp boost is the only way to go. do a comp test. if it comes back ok. Then by a .170 headgasket from vac and a set of head studs. That will lower you comp to 8.5. after that u can buy a nos kit or a modest turbo kit nothing crazy. just run 6 to 10psi. at that point you have 300+ easy. put a 3.38 lsd and you have your self a m3 killer *mw* . m3 swaps to me are just not worth the money. JUST MT 0.02. The money you spend on just getting the motor you can piece together a turbo kit. the money you would spend on the install is what you would use on the headgasket and studs, and you have money left over. the over time u put a set of lower comp pistons and rods and add more boost. i have felt boost and i will never go N/A. spend your money on boost and u can always up the power. Do n/a and you only get so much hp and it will cost you double the price.

i'm at the point i want more hp and now i'm building a motor. to handle 20+ psi. once you feel the boost/power you will be hooked *th-up*

uber e36
09-19-2005, 05:21 PM
I rather spend money for swapping for performance driving schools.

Its much fun driving 1.8 on the track then drive m3 engine car on the street.

but you have 2.5 engine which is more then what you would need.

power aint nothing when you cant control it.

I work @ BMW so I've already started with the BMW Driver Training...

Problem with Turbo is that I have 298,000kms on my car and I also worry about daily drivability.

Jon@Bimmersport
09-19-2005, 05:53 PM

for turbo apps..a numberically lower diff is better. *th-up*

Jon@Bimmersport
09-19-2005, 05:55 PM
Paul, really you think that the 2.5 turbo would be fun enough? what power were you putting down with your AA kit?

paul
09-19-2005, 06:43 PM
Paul, really you think that the 2.5 turbo would be fun enough? what power were you putting down with your AA kit?

aa kits are shit. thats the first thing. save your money and put a kit together. why wouldn't a 2.5 be fun enough? you guys are suggesting a motor that has 240hp (m3) now a 2.5 with 10psi will run 340 to the wheels know problems. how do i know? i did just that 11psi 340 to the wheels that like 400 crank. that my friend is 340rwhp of fun. i'm sick of it already i want more. but it is more then enough of the street. p.s a guy on bimmerforums buy the name of card counter is puching 543wrhp on a 2.8. it all comes down to setup and tunning.

now for drive ablity. a turbo put out 10psi is just like having a s/c when it comes to drivabilty. when u start gettting into more hp and boost and standalone then you have to becareful. but it also comes down to whos tunning the car. i have a great tunner. also the states has great tunners for bmw that can burn you a chip and ship it out. if i was you i would go boost i guess i just hang around to many boost cars. just remember you can make alot of hp on stock internals. *th-up*

paul
09-19-2005, 06:48 PM
just some examples. dose anyone know of a guy with a mk3 golk that has a plate on it that say MINT GTI. that my buddy stock motor just a headgasket and studs. he ran 11.5 at the track. and he is running 30psi. Also the guy in my dyno vid with the blue golf he also made over 500 to the wheels stock motor. now he has pistons and rods in the bottom end. but he is running 35psi.

p.s blue golf ran 10.9's at st thomas this weekend. Congrates J.P *th-up*
Get a good shop read up and find a good tunner. i am on my way to 450+ :P

paul
09-19-2005, 06:52 PM
i have to say thanx to my buddy j.p i have learned alot from him and he has helped work on my car. He has worked hard to get where he is. He is Toronto's fastest street driven golf. If not canadas. 10.9 et *th-up*

paul
09-19-2005, 06:54 PM
pic of my kit :P

sloveniaboy
09-19-2005, 06:57 PM
i love it *love* .........paul, thats exactly where i wanna be next year, arround 300-340 at the wheels, good job man *th-up*

paul
09-19-2005, 07:03 PM
thanx ur cars looking good
i want more hp it's like a drug i ride in my buddys car and it's like crack i want more

///MsAniTy
09-19-2005, 07:39 PM
I dont think you should be scared of your motor going soo soon thats not much for a bmw engine, unless your engine shows signs or weakness

uber e36
09-20-2005, 07:45 PM
but do you guys think it's smart to turbo an engine with 298,000kms on it?

paul
09-20-2005, 11:49 PM
if the comp test comes up god then yes if not then i would consider building the motor for boost then boost it down the road. :P

tlaselva
09-21-2005, 08:33 AM
Slap a LS6 (Current Corvette V8) in that Biatch!

There's a company that sells kits so it's a bolt on.

How much power?

Look at my sig and see where an LS6 can go, N/A.

We haven't even got into F/I.

uber e36
09-21-2005, 03:23 PM
Slap a LS6 (Current Corvette V8) in that Biatch!

There's a company that sells kits so it's a bolt on.

How much power?

Look at my sig and see where an LS6 can go, N/A.

We haven't even got into F/I.

Price?