PDA

View Full Version : Should I get this M3 engine on ebay

bmnorm
09-13-2005, 09:58 PM
Hey guys, as the title says.

I am looking at this engine on ebay. Here is the link
<a href =" http://search.ebay.ca/search/search.dll?cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.ca%2Fws%2F&fkr=1&from=R8&satitle=e36+engine">
Link</a>

their discription is

BMW M3 complete engine as removed from a 1995 E36 M3 in excellent running condition with 131,962 miles on the odometer. This car was damaged in a collision that damaged the rear of the car and did not involve the drivetrain. This M3 was obviously well maintained by the overall condition of the car. This is the 3 liter S50 engine with 240 horsepower with the OBD I electronic control system that is the most adaptable to engine conversions to earlier cars. We have run this engine with no leaks and no smoke. Included with this engine is the ECU and wiring harness, intake and exhaust manifolds, and flywheel. Not included in this auction are the engine accessories including the air conditioning compressor, power steering pump and alternator

I would be installing it in a 94 320. What do you think of the price.
Can I get it cheaper here. What do you think of buying an engine over ebay?

Thanks guys, your help would be greatly appreciated.

Zlatko
09-13-2005, 10:36 PM
Mileage is too high, and unless youre doing a turbo kit, what's the point?

To run mid to high 13s with 8k worth of mods?

E36er
09-13-2005, 11:26 PM
i wana do a engine swap too someday, or just get the real deal. but ya i think the kms/mileage is a little high on that one. i also was looking at it, but passed on it,

bmnorm
09-13-2005, 11:27 PM
Zlatko
I don't really want to drag race the car.
I want to track it. The bid is currently at $1900. cdn plus shipping etc. (the reserve is not met) I think if get the engine for $2500. plus shipping it won't be too bad. Assuming shipping will run me about $600. If not I am willing to go pick it up.

You are right about the mileage though. I think an M3 engine for $3000. is a pretty good price.

what does everyone else think.

e36er

What do you think of the price? is that the average price on a obd1 m3.
or would it be cheaper to find one in CA?

Justin e36
09-14-2005, 12:41 AM
imho m3 conversions are not worth it.. price / performance ratio does not add up.

Zlatko
09-14-2005, 10:34 AM
imho m3 conversions are not worth it.. price / performance ratio does not add up.

Not to mention the mileage on the engine.

Justin e36
09-14-2005, 11:49 AM
mileage doesn't mean too much to me... all about how those miles were put on. Any engine going to be swapped should be cleaned out thoroughly and a partial rebuild before installing imo.

greekthang
09-14-2005, 02:00 PM
Hey guys, as the title says.

I am looking at this engine on ebay. Here is the link
<a href =" http://search.ebay.ca/search/search.dll?cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.ca%2Fws%2F&fkr=1&from=R8&satitle=e36+engine">
Link</a>

their discription is

BMW M3 complete engine as removed from a 1995 E36 M3 in excellent running condition with 131,962 miles on the odometer. This car was damaged in a collision that damaged the rear of the car and did not involve the drivetrain. This M3 was obviously well maintained by the overall condition of the car. This is the 3 liter S50 engine with 240 horsepower with the OBD I electronic control system that is the most adaptable to engine conversions to earlier cars. We have run this engine with no leaks and no smoke. Included with this engine is the ECU and wiring harness, intake and exhaust manifolds, and flywheel. Not included in this auction are the engine accessories including the air conditioning compressor, power steering pump and alternator

I would be installing it in a 94 320. What do you think of the price.
Can I get it cheaper here. What do you think of buying an engine over ebay?

Thanks guys, your help would be greatly appreciated.

First and fore most you dont know anything about this motor or who these people are. Mileages is high first then you still have to get it shipped here. Your looking at about $3500 when all is said and done shipped U.S. then you have to buy air conditioning, power steering pump and alternator. Theres another $500 minimum U.S. so now its $4000 U.S. then the install $1000 canadian puts you to about $6000 installed (canadian) and there still maybe additional costs like coolant lines hoses etc. so say $6500. If you can ask them to do a compression and leak down test then you would have a better idea of how strong it is. I wouldnt risk it. Go somewhere reputable like Raven Performace. They are a bit pricey but they are the king of swaps and there sources are good.

Just my .02 cents