PDA

View Full Version : Sway Bar help

sthomas
08-31-2005, 09:41 PM
OK - I just bought a set of M3 sway bars (on max) and I go to install them and - they are smaller than my current ones. I only compared the front...

My current sway bars came off a 328 - not sure if it was a sport suspension. My front measures ~26.8mm dia. The M3 one is ~23.7mm. What gives?

These measurements are not perfect as I used a string to get circ in inches, then converted everything.

JazzM
08-31-2005, 10:22 PM
95 M3 is 22.5mm
96-99 M3 is 23mm

Standard e36 swaybar (4/6 cylinder) is 24mm
Sport package e36 swaybar (6 cylinder) is 25.5mm
Sport package (4 cylinder) is 26mm

I put the H&R swaybar on mine (28mm)

Regards,

T.

KIRASIR
08-31-2005, 11:50 PM
In order to run front M3 sway bar you need to connect it to the struts and not to the control arms like in a regular e36. So your choices are pretty simple:

1) Weld tabs onto your struts to connect the M3 bar
2) Get M3/MCoupe/MRoadster front struts
3) Sell the bars and get some Eibach/H&R/Racing Dynamic sway bars for regular e36 models.

SL

OK - I just bought a set of M3 sway bars (on max) and I go to install them and - they are smaller than my current ones. I only compared the front...

My current sway bars came off a 328 - not sure if it was a sport suspension. My front measures ~26.8mm dia. The M3 one is ~23.7mm. What gives?

These measurements are not perfect as I used a string to get circ in inches, then converted everything.

sthomas
09-01-2005, 08:22 AM
So the M3 sway bar is actually thinner than non-M's. I understood it was stiffer though - so is it made of a different material, or solid vs hollow or something?

KIRASIR
09-01-2005, 09:11 AM
Nope, same material as the regular e36.

Since the front sway bars in the ///M models are attached to the struts, they have more leverage, and hence, do not have to be as thick as the ones attached to the control arms.

SL

So the M3 sway bar is actually thinner than non-M's. I understood it was stiffer though - so is it made of a different material, or solid vs hollow or something?

JazzM
09-01-2005, 09:20 AM
Attaching them to the struts provides a more solid suspension design opposed to the lower control arms. Get a set of M end links if your struts have holes in them for the links.

Regards,

T.

sthomas
09-01-2005, 11:28 AM
Thanks for the info! I am running a complete GC suspension with M3 tabs so already done. I guess I'll keep the 328 front sway bar - connected to the M3 tabs. This should be even tighter than the M3 sway bar.

KIRASIR
09-01-2005, 02:14 PM
Just be careful not to make your front too stiff -> understeer. So all you need then is to get a set of M3 sway bar links. Someone might even have a set on this board.

SL

Thanks for the info! I am running a complete GC suspension with M3 tabs so already done. I guess I'll keep the 328 front sway bar - connected to the M3 tabs. This should be even tighter than the M3 sway bar.

JazzM
09-01-2005, 03:42 PM
There are multiple factors when it comes to sway bar size/setting selection. These range from your shock settings, alignment settings, spring rates, your tires, etc...

If your swaybar has adjustable endlinks then you can finetune that to your car. But the general rule of thumb is that a stiffer swaybar (or further in-adjustment on the endlink) will result in a tendancy to understeer more. where a smaller swaybar (or an outwards adjustment on the endlink) will tend to oversteer more.

This however is also dependant on your entire car dynamics. Meaning a front and rear swaybar ratio, etc.

The best thing to do is to try out different settings by simply driving in a circle of a fixed diameter and determining what speed you can attain and seeing how your car reacts at the limit (understeer or oversteer).

T.

Justin e36
09-01-2005, 06:24 PM
The best thing to do is to try out different settings by simply driving in a circle of a fixed diameter and determining what speed you can attain and seeing how your car reacts at the limit (understeer or oversteer).

T.

Good advice.. never thought of that. I have my stock sways with M3 struts on my car already.. I have the M3 sways, but haven't installed them yet. My car already suffers from some understeer thanks to the staggered setup though... wonder if it'll be worse with the M3 sways installed... :/