PDA

View Full Version : Respect to the RSX type S

mkgino
09-28-2002, 02:27 AM
Well it finally happened, tonight after the woodbridge cruise I was on my way home on highway 7 just where the 80km/h starts and there was an RSX type S behind me. We were both at cruising speed and as fate would have it we lined up at a red light. I rolled down my window and he did also, and I asked if he wanted to go, and he said yup. We each had a passenger in the car. So the light turned green and my launch was flawless, he had a lot of wheelspin. Anyway, at first I was winning and had a big lead from 0 - 100km/h , I had about 2 cars on him at this point, but once I shifted into third, as he did also, he just started reeling me in. He passed me at about 120-130 km/h and I just shut down after that. I really must say that the RSX type S is a real nice machine. If that thing had some low end torque, it would me a menace on the roads, but luckily for me it doesnt! After the race we stopped at another red light, and he told me that he had an intake and an exhaust, I just have an intake. I must say, my car really needs to go on a diet*wiggle*

Slowered318
09-28-2002, 03:36 AM
You need a NOS kit to kick on the next time that happens

then you can *wave* goodbye to RSX S type RS thing

mkgino
09-28-2002, 03:47 AM
Actually, next summer Im gonna get a higher Differential. Im looking for a 3.38 from the auto M3's. With that then 0-100km/h I will have better results, but if the race went up to like 200km/h, then Im toast.

Slowered318
09-28-2002, 03:59 AM
yeah that would help.. maybe a dinan chip or something to get it really working in the top of the RPM band

mkgino
09-28-2002, 04:10 AM
Actually I dont really want to mess with the rev limiter of my car, I realize its there for safety so I should leave it the way it is. Im probably gonna get most of my power from bolt ons, like the diff, exhaust etc.

Gamite
09-28-2002, 04:12 AM
The chip is probably a better idea, you already had that car at the start, now all you need is some more top end.

mkgino
09-28-2002, 04:16 AM
The only way I would really beat him good is if 1) I shed some weight from my car, and 2) get a diff or something where I would win off the line by so much that he would wouldn't be able to catch up. The race was so amazing though, I wish you guys were there to see it, it was so close at the end, when we were ~over 100km/h, but he did get me at the end. His car weighs about 500lbs less than mine. Honestly, if our cars were the same weight, do you think that he would have caught up to me?? I dont think so. Its all about power/weight ratio.

Jon@Bimmersport
09-28-2002, 04:24 PM
mkgino, put an M3 diff on ur car for sure...mackiek's old car...now thinair's car has an m3 diff, intake, exhaust im sure thats all...its a 328is and it pulls like hell!! that wud definitly take an rsx type-s anytime. is urs 5spd or auto?

mkgino
09-28-2002, 06:23 PM
5 spd of course, and I already have the intake, the exhaust is sitting at my g/f's house. THe diff, well I just gotta find one next year in the spring! Oh and E46 Lover, an M3 conversion is out of the question!!!

Gamite
09-28-2002, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by mkgino
The only way I would really beat him good is if 1) I shed some weight from my car, and 2) get a diff or something where I would win off the line by so much that he would wouldn't be able to catch up. The race was so amazing though, I wish you guys were there to see it, it was so close at the end, when we were ~over 100km/h, but he did get me at the end. His car weighs about 500lbs less than mine. Honestly, if our cars were the same weight, do you think that he would have caught up to me?? I dont think so. Its all about power/weight ratio.

I'd think that Power/weight ratio makes more of a difference at the start of the race. Cuz when you're already moving, you would have momentum on your side.

mkgino
09-28-2002, 07:15 PM
Your probably right, man at the start of the race when I was winning I had a BIG lead, like 2 cars on him. I had a big smile on my face too. Then after 100km/h all I see is him getting closer, closer, see his cars nose next to my window then at 120-130 I see his rear lights. But in my defence just after he caught up I shut down cause I was too scared, of getting a ticket. At that point I was in 3rd at low rpm's, so that might be why, but I really cant be sure since since it all happened so fast. In any case I know that it was the BEST race of my life, the adrenaline is still pumping!!!!!

Gamite
09-28-2002, 07:33 PM
Your probably right, man at the start of the race when I was winning I had a BIG lead, like 2 cars on him. I had a big smile on my face too. Then after 100km/h all I see is him getting closer, closer, see his cars nose next to my window then at 120-130 I see his rear lights. But in my defence just after he caught up I shut down cause I was too scared, of getting a ticket. At that point I was in 3rd at low rpm's, so that might be why, but I really cant be sure since since it all happened so fast. In any case I know that it was the BEST race of my life, the adrenaline is still pumping!!!!!

Almost exact same thing happend to me with a red GTI, I got a good start on the guy, I was about a car and a half ahead of him the whole way, we were dead even, then at about 100 km/h (I dont know for sure because I wasnt really looking at the speed) the guy just zips past me!! I dont know if I let go of the gas, or because I didnt shift to 4th from sport mode (automatic) or what, but it was just so unbelieveable. But yea, things are moving so fast, you dont know what's going on.

Rolled_Out
09-30-2002, 11:03 PM
haha really eh??? good :) well sorta...
i had my first race tonight, i raced my buddy 2 times in his 2001 VW GOLF 1.8T, hes got an intake and exhaust, and i beat him both times by 3 cars.... and i wasnt pushing too too hard coz my cars only got 350km on it... i shouldn't even be racing.. but i can't resist.... next race for me will be an SiR which i should beat..

mkgino
10-01-2002, 12:30 AM
Well, I still wanna race you. I never said that I would beat an rsx but always stated that it would be a close race and it was. Once he passed me we I shut down cause I didnt want to get a ticket, but the race was really close. I had 2 cars on him at the beginning. But it was only after that he started pulling on me. But once he caught up I shut down anyways. Plus I think he had a carbon fiber hood too!

Gamite
10-01-2002, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by Rolled_Out
haha really eh??? good :) well sorta...
i had my first race tonight, i raced my buddy 2 times in his 2001 VW GOLF 1.8T, hes got an intake and exhaust, and i beat him both times by 3 cars.... and i wasnt pushing too too hard coz my cars only got 350km on it... i shouldn't even be racing.. but i can't resist.... next race for me will be an SiR which i should beat..

I think I raced a VR6, not a 1.8, VR6 is faster from stock. Tell your friend to chip his 1.8, I hear it has huge gains.

GR8 Ride
10-01-2002, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Gamite

I'd think that Power/weight ratio makes more of a difference at the start of the race. Cuz when you're already moving, you would have momentum on your side.

Power to weight ratio applies ANY time you are accelerating....

If you're trying to maintain a constant speed, then it's less of an issue.

Pat

Jon@Bimmersport
10-01-2002, 06:46 PM
mkgino...i meant m3 differential! it shud be a straight swap shudnt it???

GR8 Ride
10-01-2002, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by E46_lover
mkgino...i meant m3 differential! it shud be a straight swap shudnt it???

Outside of the potential for the input flange to be different, yeah, it's a straight swap.

The only issue is whether or not BMW used the 4 bolt flange, or the 6-bolt flange. These are easily replaced however, but you need to remove the diff to do so.

It's about $30 in parts (need a new crush sleeve and bearing) to swap them out.

All things considered, there is a well prepped RSX Type S which comes out to Dexter Days and the occasional lapping day at SMP, and it's pretty quick. He's generally turning mid to low 1:40s at Mosport....

Pat

mkgino
10-01-2002, 09:35 PM
Well I have been doing some research on dtm power and bimmerforums and a lot of 96+ 328 have done this mod. The differential is 4 bolt from the 96+ M3's the 95 and under had the 6 bolt. My car is a 4 bolt too. What is gonna be tough is to find the one that I want, which is the 3.38 diff from the 96+ auto M3's. Well it doesnt matter now, Im gonna get it next spring.

Lil'Smoothie
10-01-2002, 09:48 PM
I raced a 2002 Maxima in my 325is. He's got like 255 horse and of the line we both peeled but I jacked him. After 2nd gear I was toast tho, he just flew buy me

Jon@Bimmersport
10-01-2002, 09:50 PM
mkgino and rolled_out....how wud u guys like to race a GSR civic sedan? im not saying it'd win...i'd like to test it against an rsx and a 328 tho! it can prob hit mid-high 14s by spring time with only a few mods...intake, exhaust, maybe headers?

Rolled_Out
10-01-2002, 11:29 PM
mkgino and rolled_out....how wud u guys like to race a GSR civic sedan? im not saying it'd win...i'd like to test it against an rsx and a 328 tho! it can prob hit mid-high 14s by spring time with only a few mods...intake, exhaust, maybe headers?
if u want.. i don't care..

mkgino
10-02-2002, 03:06 AM
I would race one but only 0-100km/h, not any higher, I dont want a big ticket, but if we go far like up north in farm country, then I would go all out. I have always wanted to do something like that, have a maxbimmer race day or something where we go like up north (not too far) somewhere safe and have straight line races.

MP328
10-02-2002, 10:49 AM
I would race one but only 0-100km/h, not any higher, I dont want a big ticket, but if we go far like up north in farm country, then I would go all out. I have always wanted to do something like that, have a maxbimmer race day or something where we go like up north (not too far) somewhere safe and have straight line races.

Check the event section

Cauyga on Oct. 11th

mkgino
10-02-2002, 02:35 PM
Yeah but is that far from here?? I dont think I could go cause I got a lot of school work and stuff. How far is it exactly??

MP328
10-02-2002, 04:05 PM
cauyga is around 100 km from KK or an hour drive. maybe 45 min on the way back if u push it a bit harder.

Jon@Bimmersport
10-02-2002, 04:44 PM
if we leave b4 rush hour n shit we'd get there maybe less than 45...but last time we went we hit rush hour traffic...i got to know the details of the interior better on that cruize!

Rolled_Out
10-02-2002, 08:11 PM
theres not chance your getting to cayuga in 45 minutes....
don't get your hopes up, rush hour or not...
unless u plan to CRUISE @ 200 the whole way..

MP328
10-02-2002, 08:12 PM
if we leave b4 rush hour n shit we'd get there maybe less than 45...but last time we went we hit rush hour traffic...i got to know the details of the interior better on that cruize!

i know that day it took like 1hour and 30 min to get down cuz of all the traffic on the QEW but ask sickfinga on the way back me and him made it in like 45 min. i know i did hehe :D *angel* and u and your cuzin got lost right after we got out on the highway *wave* *wave*

Jon@Bimmersport
10-03-2002, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by MP328

i know that day it took like 1hour and 30 min to get down cuz of all the traffic on the QEW but ask sickfinga on the way back me and him made it in like 45 min. i know i did hehe :D *angel* and u and your cuzin got lost right after we got out on the highway *wave* *wave*

i know...stupid civic..it lacks power after 140km! piece of shit..

WASABI
10-03-2002, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by MP328
cauyga is around 100 km from KK or an hour drive. maybe 45 min on the way back if u push it a bit harder.

damn Al ... 14.86 ... you've been practising eh. I still can't drive for shizz.:D

About the trip, I was thinking of taking Dundas from 403 to bronte rd to miss the rush hour traffic in oakville area. Probably save 30 mins. I'd like to get there early too.;)

GimpZ3
10-03-2002, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by saj328

damn Al ... 14.86 ... you've been practising eh. I still can't drive for shizz.:D

About the trip, I was thinking of taking Dundas from 403 to bronte rd to miss the rush hour traffic in oakville area. Probably save 30 mins. I'd like to get there early too.;)

Hey what's up saj328? Are you heading to Cayuga for their T&T? Lemme know, i'd like to run a 328 with my hond-uh.

WASABI
10-03-2002, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by GimpZ3
Hey what's up saj328? Are you heading to Cayuga for their T&T? Lemme know, i'd like to run a 328 with my hond-uh.

Sup Gimp! Thought you sold yer roadster :( Yeah bunch of us are heading down to Cayuga on Oct 11 (check the events section) for some "Fast 'N Furious" action. :D The more the merrier.*smoke*

Jon@Bimmersport
10-03-2002, 04:45 PM
gimp..help me out i, lost with ur ride thing.... wats an ///M e36/7 is it the wagon or something???

GimpZ3
10-03-2002, 05:00 PM

Sup Gimp! Thought you sold yer roadster :( Yeah bunch of us are heading down to Cayuga on Oct 11 (check the events section) for some "Fast 'N Furious" action. :D The more the merrier.*smoke*

i'm storing the car until spring in hopes of getting more $...

As for Oct 11, i'll be there if the weather cooperates.

e46_lover E36/7 is the chassis code for the Z series BMW line-up. I just include the ///M to denote the model. Therefore ///M E36/7 = ///MZ3 or ///M Roadster. Hope that helps.

MP328
10-03-2002, 07:01 PM

the 14.86 i have no idea but that night the car was flying i got it two times around the same time. but it was cool outside 12 degrees only. plus i was racing this guy who works with me in his jetta 1.8T chipped. the sound of that car is sweet. he was right beside me all the way. he might have even won if he new how to launch better.

and about the trip i was even thinking going on the 407 but i don't know how many people would be even willing to pay the extra few bucks to get there faster. i now there is now an exit from the 407 on the 403 where the QEW and the 403 splid but i'm not sure if the 407 also exits on the QEW after the qew and 403 split :huh?: hope u know what i mean hehehe *wave*

moerom
10-22-2002, 07:55 PM
I had the opportunity to see two Type-S' go at it (lol @ Dan). They are verrrry nice cars. Quick buggers too!

mkgino
10-22-2002, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by moerom
I had the opportunity to see two Type-S' go at it (lol @ Dan). They are verrrry nice cars. Quick buggers too!

This thread is so old......someone has been trolling.....

moerom
10-22-2002, 10:16 PM
Doesn't anyone see the irony in mkgino's reply?

I'M trolling? What is your reply then?

Gosh.....

mkgino
10-23-2002, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by moerom
Doesn't anyone see the irony in mkgino's reply?

I'M trolling? What is your reply then?

Gosh.....

Its because I came in here thinking it was a new thread. But if u noticed Im the one who raced him, any questions??

moerom
10-23-2002, 12:42 AM
I'll shut my mouth for the sake of peace on this board. Peace be with you brother.

moerom
10-23-2002, 12:44 AM
BTW, you have one sweet ride man.

Tu sei Italiano?

mkgino
10-23-2002, 12:44 AM
No man I wasnt trying to be rude, dont take it the wrong way :P

I really want to know if you had any questions? You seemed interested :)

addbhp
10-23-2002, 09:47 AM
I got a chuckle out of this thread, as on Saturday I just test drove the RSX and then the RSX typeS. I wanted to see what all the fuss was about and find out, having seen how fast the older type R's were on the track. Two very different machines.

The RSX is a bore, nothing special at all, nicely finished but okay looks, again a little closer to average. Then I took out the type S, leaving Sherway Acura, up the West Mall to Bloor, onto the 427 south and off at Cawthra and back. Now this car had had it's first oil change so I was okay to get up to the 8,000 redline.

On the side streets, shifting before 6,000 this car is no different than the regular RSX, then stay in it above 6000rpm and wow, this thing total changes character. Pulls very strong. Once you get past the hesitation of not shifting too early this is a very nice package. The stiffer springs and shocks work very nice and provide a very nice ride as your speed increases. On the 427 south, I shifted from 4th to 5th at 180kmph, before traffic and the fear of a cop had me slow down. Don't forget this car still had 2 gears left, and I have no doubt the top speed of 150miles is bang on. Price on this car $31K, which makes it a pretty solid car to start with. Combined with the aftermarket on this car. Will make for some very fast track cars. And having been on the track with a Mugan massaged RSX Type S at Fabi and Nelson, very little could keep up.

Would I buy one. I doubt it, mostly because I love Rear wheel drive, but this would be a nice Front driver if I wanted to go that route again.
Cheers

punnzzells
10-23-2002, 11:04 AM
You know... I was reading this thread and I was thinking to myself.... how can you compare a car that is made from recycled PEPSI cans (RSX and all hondas/acuras) to a vehicle that is designed for safety, luxury, sport handling, and power... how can you compare the two?

Who really cares how fast the RSX is...... let see that RSX get into a collision at 120km/h vs. any BMW... ya.... see you at the RSX drivers funeral!

A little story to back up my mouth.... a friend of mine had purchased the new 745i and was pulling out of a plaza @ Jane and #7.... he was on the phone and him and the passenger were yapping.... a MAC truck came as he pulled out, because he was not watching, and smacked into him @ a police and driver proven 95/100 km/h.... my friend woke up in the ambulance and asked the medic what had happened.... the medic was freaking out, as he did not know how my freind came out with only a small bump on his forhead from the accident and the passenger only had a cut/gash on his arm from the broken glass.... the medic said that the car was about the same size as a civic hatch back....

In short... you get what you pay for!

Mike.

*smoke*

mkgino
10-23-2002, 04:05 PM
Sorry, I have to disagree with you on this one, wish I didnt have to, but I do......

The five safest cars of all time:

Buick LeSabre (model year 2000)
Honda Civic (model year 2001)
Lincoln LS (model year 2001)
Volkswagen Passat (model years 2000 and 2001)
Volvo S80 (model year 2001)

BMW isnt even on here. :( But look at what is at number two, that's a surprise.

punnzzells
10-23-2002, 04:37 PM
Where did you find that poll?? I am just curious....

Mike..

*smoke*

Gamite
10-23-2002, 07:30 PM
crash tests are based upon the damage done to the driver. Honda's front ends will crumple, but only to the extent that it wont hurt the passengers.

Minor crashes, however are a different story. Honda's will STILL crumple under minor crashes, where as a european car (volvo, and yes BMW, which use much heavier metals) will not. I've plowed my way through a Pontiac Firefly with only a scratched fender and a broken corner light to show for it. the firefly was totaled.

Also, dont forget the X5, it won best crash tests for SUV's.

mkgino
10-23-2002, 08:37 PM
Wlee I found it from some website, I cant remember which one, but I also heard a similar list on the radio one day in which volvo was first (supposedly they are comming out with the safest car in the world soon). The list on the radio was the 10 most safest cars in the world and BMW wasn't on that one either!?!?!

IVAN
10-23-2002, 11:42 PM
I think Mercedes S600 is the safest one .

IVAN
10-23-2002, 11:45 PM
That's why all those big shots are driven in Mercedes not In Lexus .They also talk too much crap that Lexus is more reliable car them Mercedes and BMW as well.

Lexus has weaker frame that's his weak point .
By getting 750IL and S600 You have complete package.

moerom
10-24-2002, 11:37 AM
S classes are tanks. They have the best international crash test ratings of any car.

Now, Honda Civics and a multtude of other small cars have great crash ratings. You may ask how this is so. A smaller car crushes easier and dissipates energy throughout the collision. There is effectively less mass in a smaller car pushing into the opposing mass. This is all fine and dandy, but what crash tests DO NOT show is when small masses (Civics) smash into monster masses (e.g. large SUV's, S-class, etc...) the small masses are completely obliterated.

Comparing crash tests is like comparing a Lotus Elise to Hummer. There can be no cross comparisons because there are different requirements for different size cars.

That being said, on the whole, the larger and more mass a vehicle has, the more likely you are to walk away safely from a serious collision. (Although nothing in the world can save an idiot doing 150 mph in his new S55 AMG when he slams into a pole).

On a side note, I have successfully resurrected an old thread!! YESSSSSSSSSSS!

e30_325_s52
10-28-2002, 11:25 PM
did he have anythin in the car lik turbo.....cuz a stock rsx only has lik 228 bhp

moerom
10-28-2002, 11:26 PM
Isn't it only 200 brake horsepower?

mkgino
10-29-2002, 12:31 AM
They have 200hp and 141 torque, reason they are fast is because they are soooo light, about 500 pounds lighter than my car......but he did have an intake and an exhaust, which is good for another 10-15hp or so, but it was a great race, havent had a better one in my life

e30_325_s52
10-29-2002, 12:49 AM
ok 200 hp then....sorry buddy..still..not much for a 100k car

mkgino
10-29-2002, 01:51 AM
100k?? I think we have our cars mixed up here, they are like about 30 K arent they?

M3ti Compact
10-29-2002, 03:25 AM
Sorry, I have to disagree with you on this one, wish I didnt have to, but I do......

The five safest cars of all time:

Buick LeSabre (model year 2000)
Honda Civic (model year 2001)
Lincoln LS (model year 2001)
Volkswagen Passat (model years 2000 and 2001)
Volvo S80 (model year 2001)

BMW isnt even on here. :( But look at what is at number two, that's a surprise.

I thought the Toyota Sienna was the best ANYTHING ever tested? By the IIHS?

mkgino
10-29-2002, 04:13 AM
Originally posted by M3ti Compact

I thought the Toyota Sienna was the best ANYTHING ever tested? By the IIHS?

No idea, I remember listening to the radio to a similar list, all I know is that BMW aint on any of the safety lists. I was waiting to hear it but nope.

Autotechnica
10-31-2002, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by Gamite

I think I raced a VR6, not a 1.8, VR6 is faster from stock. Tell your friend to chip his 1.8, I hear it has huge gains.

Nah it was 16V