PDA

View Full Version : E28 Odometer problem

trevor t
08-30-2005, 03:51 PM
Hi every One, I found this forum a couple of weeks ago, in time to make the "Pilgrimage" to Sheffield with our white 85 535i, a restored and "europeanised" US car that was imported in April. Enjoyed a great afternoon, and then on the way home I noticed that the trip mileage recorder looked scrambled; some time after I reset it I thought that it had quit. It was in fact still working, but only recording about 8% of the distance travelled. This would be great for getting an extended warranty, but I would like to fix it. The speedo still works fine, and the error seems to remain the same and it operates smoothly, just moves way to slow. (both trip and total miles). Advice from the experts out there will be very much appreciated.
Thanks Trevor (Elora ON)

e24_635csi
08-31-2005, 07:47 PM
hmm.. sounds odd. The cluster is pretty simple to take out, maybe its just in the need of some cleaning. The guys over on www.mye28.com might be able to help.

Matt

///Maluco
09-01-2005, 12:13 AM
Trevor,
If you take your cluster out and check the gears and find one that is cracked, you can buy a replacement gear from www.odometergears.com
I bought one from him (Jeff C.) and replaced mine in my E12. It was a simple job.
If you give him a call, I know its long distance, but it may save you some grief if you take something apart you shouldn’t have from your speedo.
Jeff is a great person and very helpful. He is an E12 owner and I'm sure he knows about E28s as well.
BTW...that is a great looking E28 you have and there's nothing like those chrome Euro bumpers over the large picnic benches they had to export over here.

I'm the one with the gold E12. We may have met. Unfortunately, I'm terrible at remembering names at events.

trevor t
09-01-2005, 02:31 PM
Thank you for the responses to my cry for help, the links were very helpful, I have ordered a set of gears from Jeff so will soon be counting miles again.
These forums are a great way to share this type of info. Now I have a couple of other problems to research.
That 80 528i is gorgeous, it got my wifes vote, and from 74 to 89 we lived in Tottenham, small world.
Thanks again, Trevor