PDA

View Full Version : Idling problems -

frankzen
08-29-2005, 10:03 PM
My '95 318 has an idling problem which occurs when the engine is warm or hot but not cold. This afternoon I started it up, drove a few kms then parked it in a mall lot. 5 minutes later I started it up again, and it would not idle..it died everytime I took my foot off the gas. At the same time the SES light came on. This repeated itself for about 5 times as I left the lot. It also seems to have been missing a little. Then as quickly as it started the problem stopped, the SES light went off and the car ran fine. Some say its a vacuum leak but I can't see that..why would it do it hot and not cold and why would it stop doing it suddenly? The MAF sensor has been changed (previous owner did it to solve an idling problem!)
I did check the codes in the computer and as I recall (I did it two weeks ago) the code was one that indicated the MAF sensor. It has a new air filter, but that's all I am sure of.
Any thoughts ???

jeffrie
08-29-2005, 10:09 PM
Did you ever change the intake boot?

frankzen
08-29-2005, 10:41 PM
Yes, didn't do anything. I'm beginning to suspect the Idle control valve is dirty or bad.

propr'one
08-30-2005, 05:01 AM
what's your normal idle RPM.Simply increasing it may provide (at least a temporary) solution.

Justin e36
08-30-2005, 06:59 AM
bad MAF or vaccuum leak. reason why it stopped doing it would be because the leak is small and the ECU has adjusted to compensate for the leak. you'd notice it would take a little longer from revving for the car to return to idle if this is the case.. it would stop around 1k RPM and then slowly drop down to the normal 850rpm idle.

jeffrie
08-30-2005, 07:26 AM
Mine does this stay at 1000 RPM after a day of driving it hard, but only then.
Wonder if my MAF is starting to go.....

frankzen
08-30-2005, 11:40 AM
what's your normal idle RPM.Simply increasing it may provide (at least a temporary) solution.

Seems to be low for this engine...looks around 657-700 - but it varys from time to time...on occasion it's 900-950. How would I adjust idle speed ??

frankzen
08-30-2005, 11:43 AM
bad MAF or vaccuum leak. reason why it stopped doing it would be because the leak is small and the ECU has adjusted to compensate for the leak. you'd notice it would take a little longer from revving for the car to return to idle if this is the case.. it would stop around 1k RPM and then slowly drop down to the normal 850rpm idle.

Yes it seems to do this from time to time - other times (rarely) it will stay at 1500-2000 when shifting and drop slowly. As I said MAF was replaced (witha used unit) by previous owner. Maybe it's bad too ? I think I'll start off by cleaning Idle control valve...and replacing ALL the vacuum hoses. I'll also gets the codes from the computer . Anything else I should look at ? BTW it did the "refusing to idle thing" from a cold start this morning...took it 5-10 minutes before itwould idle.