PDA

View Full Version : E36 318i Revving problem when cold.Please help.

imagecars
08-26-2005, 09:37 PM
Can anyone help me with a problem I am having.My 1995 E36 318I will not rev properly for about 2 or 3 minutes on first start up if left overnight outside.I live in New Zealand and the temperature gets down to about 5 degrees celsius overnightIt will idle on first start up but not rev properly,but gets progressively better and then runs perfect for the rest of the day.It only does it overnight and even if you leave the car off for 5 or 6 hours during the day it will start perfectly.It pops and coughs under throttle until it just comes right even when stationary.It brings up no fault codes on the computer and my BMW garage cant find the problem as they only have a few minutes window everyday to fix it in while it does this.Any help would be hugely appreciated

mpower1226
08-27-2005, 01:29 AM
Can anyone help me with a problem I am having.My 1995 E36 318I will not rev properly for about 2 or 3 minutes on first start up if left overnight outside.I live in New Zealand and the temperature gets down to about 5 degrees celsius overnightIt will idle on first start up but not rev properly,but gets progressively better and then runs perfect for the rest of the day.It only does it overnight and even if you leave the car off for 5 or 6 hours during the day it will start perfectly.It pops and coughs under throttle until it just comes right even when stationary.It brings up no fault codes on the computer and my BMW garage cant find the problem as they only have a few minutes window everyday to fix it in while it does this.Any help would be hugely appreciated

Try cleaning the ICV(idle control valve/motor). Take it out then use throttle body cleaner to clean all the carbon deposits. ALso take out the throttle body and clean inside throughly.

spooner_dee
08-28-2005, 02:40 PM
my words exactly, i had the same problem with my car, the icv was clogged, had it cleaned and it started sounding like yours did for about a week till i blew out all the rest of the crap in the system. get it cleaned then drive the car semi hard for a few days to help flush it out.