http://x2.putfile.com/8/23418330272.jpg

http://x2.putfile.com/8/23418324434.jpg

http://x2.putfile.com/8/23418323569.jpg

Understated
08-23-2005, 08:18 PM
w0w....care to do a review on it?....

djcontra
08-23-2005, 08:33 PM
How do you like it? I've never riden in a 318 with a blower...

KIRASIR
08-23-2005, 10:39 PM
Nice.

If you remember James with a black supercharged ti (BMW Auto-x), he should still have his R-Speed check valve sitting around the house (he no longer needs it). He might be willing to give it up for cheap. It should give you a couple more horsies. He is a frequent poster at www.318ti.net.

Here is more info:
http://ackthud.com/shawnfogg/checkvalve.htm

SL

euro*
08-24-2005, 12:39 AM
nice! how do u like it? *shiner*

Slowered318
08-24-2005, 01:00 AM
are you going to bring her out to one of the meets?

mpower1226
08-24-2005, 02:33 AM
can you do a detail review of the product like how it drives and how it pulls compare to other cars and stuff? 'cause I am looking into getting one as well. also how much was it shipped to your door? in Canadian.

BMW_7
08-24-2005, 09:38 AM
Thanks a lot guys.

OK, as far as the review goes, lets just say I forgot how my stock 318i drove!

Let's just say that it is a completely different car. I'm very very impressed. Up to 3,000 RPM it's just a little faster, but the power is definitely there. Acceleration up to 3,000 RPM feels a little more torquey and the car has more pull. Right after the 3,000 RPM mark, though, it takes off. The SC whine kicks in right at 3,000 RPM and continues through redline. And the car keeps pulling and pulling... I had a friend stand by the road while I approached him and he said he didn't even hear the engine, just the whine... hehe..It's amazing.

I'd say it's similar to the 328i acceleration (0-60 at least). Even through I never drove a 328. But I know a M3 would have a crazy amount of torque to begin with. (see in-car video of DASC 318ti and a modded M3 on www.understeer.com). I never raced anyone yet, but I'm happy with the acceleration, I'm sure someone with a M3 would probably not think this car is anything special, but I can finally PASS people with ease, which is important to me...heh

City driving:

In short: I've never had so much fun driving a car in the city. I mean sure, I could have a fast car and be pulling nice on the highway but city driving would be quite boring (I wouldn't get out of second gear, right? :D) . My car has this awesome sound that just makes me want to rev the engine all the time. I shift at the same time as I normally would, too, it's just the car gets there faster.

Not to mention that gas prices here already crossed $1 per liter of regular in some area

Highway driving:

Highway driving has improved. The RPM I cruise at is the same, and the RPM I drive at is the same as it was without DASC, if anyone was wondering. However, highway driving is quieter with DASC. I noticed it right away. Also, highway acceleration (from 5th gear and 120 km/h) is improved. It does not take 5 years to accelerate anymore, the car can reach the higher speeds easier. Although 4th gear is a little more responsive at high RPM than 5th.

Other changes:
First, I have to fill up with Octane 94 from now on. The required octane with this SC is 93 and up. Also, My Brullen ehaust is a tad louder than before. At idle, the exhaust is a little more raw, it gurgles a bit more. Releasing the clutch from dead stop sometimes makes the engine dip....Damn, I hope my clutch is not giving up.

Anyway, that's pretty much it.

Installation:
OK to install the SC, I wend down to understeer in Columbus. I drove there on Friday night, and got there Saturday at 10 AM. It took them the whole day to install, and even though I wanted to help. Chris knew what he was doing. He has all the tools and already installed DASC on some M44's. He said it was easier to install it on M42's because there is less wiring. I am very happy that he devoted his Saturday to help me, and I would do business with him again, it's just that he lives so far...

Anyway the SC was finished and the car started up at about 1-2 AM. I headed back to Toronto. But then, just as we left Columbus, the MAF hose disconnected from the filter. The clamp that was supplied by DA was really crappy and hugged the metal pipe. Obviously it slipped off. So Chris glued it back on and said its really dumb design on DA's part.. Anyway so far no problems.

I got back to Toronto on sunday at 8 AM straight driving...lol Let's just say I was seeing things on the side of the highway that wasn't there while driving through Niagara.

I paid $3550 USD or $4000 CAD for this setup + driving to Columbus. So now I got no money for school *shiner*

Justin e36
08-24-2005, 10:29 AM
damn only $4k canadian?... I thought DASC's were more than double that. If I knew that was it I would've done the mod a long time ago.

Anyway, thanks for the write-up. :)

BMW_7
08-24-2005, 03:21 PM
Yeah, Sometimes I wonder why that wasn't my first mod when i got the car.

About a year ago DA lowered the price of the supercharger, an equivalent of $1000 Canadian.

What kinda turbo did you have Justin? Mossleman?

Serge, thanks. James is that guy with the long hair? I think I saw him there. Does he still have the supercharger?

Chris from understeer said that the best value for money for the DASC is to remove as much rotational weigh as possible = lighter pulleys, fan delete, ltw flywheel. I feel a very big improvement thats also worth it is a diff.

I still need to check my spark plugs. My ICV looks OK though. What do you guys think I should look at? My engine is at 156,000 km.

SickFinga
08-24-2005, 04:34 PM
congrats *th-up*

going to dyno it any time soon??

KIRASIR
08-25-2005, 01:12 AM
That's him. He used to have long hair but he cut it about a year back. He went with the NickG's Stage 2 kit, so he no longer needs the R-Speed valve. Prom the pictures it looks like yours is an M42 with air shrouded injectors, so the valvle should work for you. If you get the check valve from the states, it used to be almost 100CAD (35US + shipping + taxes/customs). He might be willing to sell it cheaper (if he's still got it).

If your clutch is going(and it will be soon) then you might want to get a lightened flywheel with M3/M5 clutch (~1k+labour). I wouldn't even think about the pulleys - not worth it. The fan remove is a good idea (thank God tis have come with electrical fans from the factory :D).

SL

James is that guy with the long hair? I think I saw him there. Does he still have the supercharger?

Chris from understeer said that the best value for money for the DASC is to remove as much rotational weigh as possible = lighter pulleys, fan delete, ltw flywheel. I feel a very big improvement thats also worth it is a diff.

BMW_7
08-25-2005, 02:00 PM
That's him. He used to have long hair but he cut it about a year back. He went with the NickG's Stage 2 kit, so he no longer needs the R-Speed valve. Prom the pictures it looks like yours is an M42 with air shrouded injectors, so the valvle should work for you. If you get the check valve from the states, it used to be almost 100CAD (35US + shipping + taxes/customs). He might be willing to sell it cheaper (if he's still got it).

If your clutch is going(and it will be soon) then you might want to get a lightened flywheel with M3/M5 clutch (~1k+labour). I wouldn't even think about the pulleys - not worth it. The fan remove is a good idea (thank God tis have come with electrical fans from the factory :D).

SL

Yes, I do have a M42. The clutch thing I'm not really worried about because it was not abused (much...heh). Do you think I need to upgrade my spark plugs or injectors? Fogged airbox? Or any other engine components?

Does the R-Speed valve works on M42s, do you know? Nick G's stuff won't work so I have to look at other alternatives.

Lastly, is James on this forum? Is he on 318ti.org?

thanks for everything

KIRASIR
08-25-2005, 02:52 PM
I would look into the following things:

1) Cooler plugs as cheap insurance (refer to Shawn Fogg's page for part numbers)

2) Upgrade the injectors and see if MarkD can make a chip for you. (this would be my priority) Tell him that there maybe a small market for this chip, since there are plenty of M42s with DASC floating around.

3) Obviously clutch, or drive really carefully with your current one. It is only a matter of time before it starts to fade away.

4) Limited Slip Diff

5) DASC comes with a cone air filter, if this is what you are using then fabricate a heat shield.

6) R-Speed valve will work if your injectors are air shrouded. Basically is there a small air hose going to every injector on your car? From the pictures, it looks like it. The air hose going on top of the DASC is where R-Speed valve is typically mounted.

7) Install a boost gauge

8) Dyno the car and make sure to get the A/F mixture curve. This will tell you if you are having fueling/mixture issue. It's a safetely precaution.

SL

PS I would highly recommend you to join the 318ti.net mailing list. It's a very mature list with lots of members with DASCs, several automotive engineers, etc. Most of the discussions will apply to your car. James is on that list (his last name is Wu).

Yes, I do have a M42. The clutch thing I'm not really worried about because it was not abused (much...heh). Do you think I need to upgrade my spark plugs or injectors? Fogged airbox? Or any other engine components?

Does the R-Speed valve works on M42s, do you know? Nick G's stuff won't work so I have to look at other alternatives.

Lastly, is James on this forum? Is he on 318ti.org?

thanks for everything

paul christians
08-26-2005, 12:55 AM
have fun with it. And can you put an intercooler on to make run better or is it fine without it ????

BMW_7
08-26-2005, 05:46 PM
Nope, not going to dyno yet... Next year for sure. And a intercooler is not needed, as it runs off the stock cooling system. Remember this blower comes stock on cars like C32 AMG and a smaller version of this blower powers the Mini Cooper S.

Yeah, Serge, a lot of these things I gotta wait until next year to do but who knows. some smaller things I might just do sometime during school year..The boost gauge and the heat sheild sound really attractive right now.

Then I also want to Auto-X the car next year, as well as go on the track.

Daydream///M3
08-30-2005, 12:48 AM
I had a DASC on my 318 and it wasnt that fast, I also had the rspeed check valve, ltw flywheel, exhaust and it was just barely keeping up with stock 328's... actually, come to think of it, probably not. I think it was a waste of money since when I bought mine, it cost witht he conversion like 6500 bucks.
I would have ratherd sold my car then and gotten a 328. There is no replacement for bigger displacement and inline 6's will always have more torque.

Im glad you are happy with yours though.

BMW_7
08-30-2005, 10:16 AM
Sure the inline 6 have more torque and will beat my car in the quarter mile or on the highway, any idiot knows that. I pretty much knew 100% what to expect from this mod. and that is why I have no regrets.

Perhaps you forgot how your stock 318 drove..How it was impossible to pass people.