PDA

View Full Version : FYI: Rolling Fenders

domenic
08-22-2005, 04:43 PM
I really thought that rolling the rear fenders was a big deal...with that speical tool etc.

I recently had some rubbing issues in the rear so I looked into rolling the lip in the rear fenders. I called around for prices...and wow!!! $$$. Prices varied between $60 - $100 per side.

Any ways, I brought my car to Lakeside Motors in Scarborough and basically did both fenders in less than an hour. The paint didn't chip, no problems, no rubbing and the price was no where near what everyone else was asking.

We used Justin e36's method...a rubber mallet and a heat gun.

I'm not saying this is the proper way to do things...but it worked for me!

Justin e36
08-23-2005, 10:10 AM
Hey Domenic,

Glad to hear everything worked out with the fender rolling. People still don't believe that I managed to get the fenders rolled so smoothly with a rubber mallet and heat gun... I find just pounding back and forth worked well, it was also quick. One side did end up cracking the paint for me since there was some bad rust there, however the rolling tool wouldn't even work with rust on a fender.. it'd crack through and the tool wouldn't be able to work...

bmdbley'sBro
08-23-2005, 07:29 PM
Hey DIY or with a tool chances are that paint has cracked somehwere!!!

so toothbrush it clean up in there & spray some type of anti tust stuff
or slather grease up in there...

Shark
11-06-2005, 05:38 AM
I really thought that rolling the rear fenders was a big deal...with that speical tool etc.

I recently had some rubbing issues in the rear so I looked into rolling the lip in the rear fenders. I called around for prices...and wow!!! $$$. Prices varied between $60 - $100 per side.

Any ways, I brought my car to Lakeside Motors in Scarborough and basically did both fenders in less than an hour. The paint didn't chip, no problems, no rubbing and the price was no where near what everyone else was asking.

We used Justin e36's method...a rubber mallet and a heat gun.

I'm not saying this is the proper way to do things...but it worked for me!

How much did you end of paying to do the fenders?

b_w.
11-09-2005, 05:50 PM
was it easy to do with the rubber mallet and heat gun? i plan to role my fenders in the spring.

Justin e36
11-09-2005, 06:40 PM
yes it is easy, however I don't recommend you do it unless you are planning on doing a paintjob soon... there's a good chance of cracking if you're not careful. Get it rolled at a shop, just to save yourself the headache. Usually costs around $60-$90 per side.

domenic
11-10-2005, 02:06 PM
yes it is easy, however I don't recommend you do it unless you are planning on doing a paintjob soon... there's a good chance of cracking if you're not careful. Get it rolled at a shop, just to save yourself the headache. Usually costs around $60-$90 per side.

I agree...save yourself the headache and get them rolled at a shop!!!

There is a very good chance that the pain will crack. Luckily I didn't have any issues with the paint. I think I gained approx 5 - 6mm of clearance (2-door).

I called a shop up before I did it myself and they told me that 4-door E36 can get much more clearance than a 2-door.

MV325IS
11-10-2005, 02:54 PM
Doers anyone no of a shop in the east end to get this done ?

propr'one
11-10-2005, 05:52 PM
Am i gonna need to do this? I just got some 18's for the 328

Justin e36
11-10-2005, 05:57 PM
prop... depends on wheel offset, and width of the rims/rubber you put on.

b_w.
11-10-2005, 11:09 PM
i am planning to put some 18x8.5 bbs rc's offset 38. will 255's fit in the back without rolling. anybody know. i have h&r sport springs.

Justin e36
11-11-2005, 11:13 AM
You'll need to roll.
I have 18x8.5 +35 offset on the back with 255's on the back.
I'm lowered on Eibach Pro's.

I had to roll. Domenic is running on 245's on the back, and he had to roll too.

moto-menace
11-24-2005, 05:25 PM
hey guys, i have a e36 coupe and 18" rims, i need 2 expand my fender clearence a bit too, can anyone post a pic of a b4 andafter? or atleast explain exactly what rolling thefenders is?...i think youre just talking about folding that lip up indide a bitm but not sure...can somone clear this up 4 me..thanx..