PDA

View Full Version : New parts squeeking? Do they have to break in?

Three_1_Eight
08-16-2005, 01:32 PM
Hey,

After almost 169K on my 94 318is it was time to do some preventative maintenance. I replaced all the pulleys, altenator, and belt tensioner as the one I had had a small fluid leak. After oulling the parts one of the pullies barely turned and was almost seized and therefore causing belt slippage.

Anyways, before these changes the engine would squeek (pulleys and alternator) a bit upon startup and calm down after warming up.

Now after these changes the engine starts nice and quietly however now after warming up those new parts squeek. By the way, the engine seems to run smoother now.

Do they need to be broken in for a certain period?

Thanks,
Tom

bmdbley'sBro
08-16-2005, 05:53 PM
Hey,

After almost 169K on my 94 318is it was time to do some preventative maintenance. I replaced all the pulleys, altenator, and belt tensioner as the one I had had a small fluid leak. After oulling the parts one of the pullies barely turned and was almost seized and therefore causing belt slippage.

:confused: no offence but you kinda lost me here...

which pulley on which accessory was "almost seized" ??? :confused:
didn't think belt tensioners had fluid in them to leak :confused:

but No your new stuff shouldn't make noise at all!!!

Justin e36
08-16-2005, 09:10 PM
yeah you need some anti-squeak stuff for the belt.. prevents it from cracking and helps it stick. It's kinda like a wax that goes over it... will stop the squeaking of new belts.

J

Three_1_Eight
08-17-2005, 11:00 AM
I am thinking that the noise may be happening perhaps because the belts are loose or are tensioned too tight? I will know better on Thursday afternoon. Like I said, upon start-up everything is nice an quiet and smooth and then when I take a quick spin everything starts to squeek! Very frustrating. Faulty parts, or faulty install?

Bro- I forget which one of the three pulleys was almost seized. I do remember it being a bit bigger then the other two. As for the tensioner, I did not know that either. They showed me it and the hydraulic fluid was very visible.

Justin- As for the belts, I did not replace any of the belts as they were in good condition, however I would like to pick some of that belt dressing on it. Where can I pick some good stuff up and how do I apply it? Does the engine have to be running and I just run the stuff over the belts while they are spinning?

Thanks,
Tom

Justin e36
08-17-2005, 01:36 PM
Quality belt dressing comes in a tube. You apply it while the engine is running and hold the tube up to the belts as it scrapes away from the wax. Hold it there for a solid 40 seconds or so as you hear the squeaks disappear. It also comes in a spray, but I really don't like the spray versions... seems not to do as good of a job or protect from cracking.

Available at your local Canadian Tire... :)

Three_1_Eight
08-17-2005, 05:33 PM
Cool, Thanks! Will give it a shot after inspection tomorrow.

Tom

Three_1_Eight
08-19-2005, 06:00 PM
Found out that the bigger of the 3 pulleys has faulty bearings, hence causing the noise....being replaced Tuesday...we'll see I guess......my guy says that he ususally sees this sort of thing twice a year with new parts being faulty....it's a pain the ass though b/c I have to waste time and all to get it redone....

I will give an update after Tuesday (fingers crossed!!)

Tom

Three_1_Eight
08-24-2005, 12:02 PM
I just wanted to update you on my squeeky parts issue. As it turns out, the bearings in one of the new pulleys were a bit loud so that was replaced but they also did a thorough inspection of the belts (which was not done last weel) and as it turns out the large belt had a bit of uneveness (worn down in one part of the belt) which produced the loud squeek.

All is fixed now at no charge, so I am quite happy. The car runs smooth and quiet now!

Take Care,
Tom

PS-Inspect your belts thoroughly!!!