PDA

View Full Version : microfilter replacement

HooliGaN*
08-15-2005, 02:30 PM
does anyone have a right up on how 2 change the microfilter?

Thanks

Julian

atm2000
08-15-2005, 02:57 PM
here's the link I am looking at: http://www.logun.org/microfilter.htm

///MP
08-15-2005, 03:48 PM
Talk to Rico328i. He's had some recent experience with the microfilter.

MP

bimmerod
08-16-2005, 09:46 AM
Job from hell! *sad*
You need to take out all the parts they suggest. No shortcuts.
Glove box etc. Then you have to find it. The air filter has breaks in the plastic so it will bend around the corner.
And by the way. You need to be 5' tall and 100lbs and you need to do this while laying on your back with your feet in the air!

Cosmic 325i
08-17-2005, 12:28 PM
huge PAIN!!!!!!!!! i did mine and got as far as taking the old one out, so i put it all back together and i ended up going to BUDDS and paid them $35 or something to do it. you cant see what you are doing half the time.

mech9T8
08-17-2005, 12:32 PM
I did it. It was a pain. But I didn't remove the glovebox. I went from underneath.

thinair
08-17-2005, 01:22 PM
I did mine about two months ago, it wasn't that big of a deal. Although i've seen Charlie change one in like less then 10 minutes.

rico328i
08-18-2005, 09:16 AM
I did mine less than a year ago. Even with the removal of the glove box, I'd say it was a PIA. Unless you have 10yr old fingers/hands, and can contort like a Cirque de Soleil acrobat - Have fun!! haha. Still a simple procedure, but a pain in the ass. Cut my hands too....

bimmerod
08-18-2005, 03:04 PM
huge PAIN!!!!!!!!! i did mine and got as far as taking the old one out, so i put it all back together and i ended up going to BUDDS and paid them $35 or something to do it. you cant see what you are doing half the time.

Or......
Pay a female friend (we'll call her a friend for legal reasons) to do naked while you watch!
:D

Justin e36
08-19-2005, 01:44 PM
will be doing this in a few days... will see how tough it really is. sounds simple enough. if you ever can't see what you're doing, grab a mirror to look around corners.

J

darkis_light
08-21-2005, 10:47 AM
I did mine yesterday, it's a tight place to work but accessible. :eek:

Have the vacuum cleaner handy to pick up all the dirt, dust and crap that will fall out on the carpet when you pull it out. :puke:

three28i
08-27-2005, 03:50 PM
I did mine a few months ago as well. The first time it's a PITA I agree. But the next time it needs to be done, it won't be so bad.

Certainly, it's less work IMHO than changing out a door lock actuator... what a pain that was...

Justin e36
08-27-2005, 08:31 PM
I'm not sure what everyone is complaining about. It took less than 10 mins to remove the glovebox, vent, harness, take out the old filter, and slip the new one in. Just turn the handle, remove the cover. Grab the old filter tab and wiggle + pull it loose. The new one slides right in without any problems.
No problems, not tough.. went like lego.

three28i
08-27-2005, 10:32 PM
Once again: having done it once, the next time will be a snap. The problem is always doing something for the first time. It always takes alot of extra time to learn the trick, and lean how to twist this just the right way to get them out, etc.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'd rather spend an extra 1/2 hour or hour and figure out the trick than to force and possibly break something.

It's a BMW; everything fits perfectly and in exactly a unique way. Knowing that everything comes apart once you know the trick is just the starting point.