PDA

View Full Version : Leather around interior door handle...

Calvé
08-14-2005, 10:42 PM
The picture explains everything.

http://www.dtmpower.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=29628&stc=1

When I tuck it behind the door handle trim it only holds there for like a minute then pops out again. How should I fix this, just glue it, silicon or is this a common problem that is fixed with a new door handle or something?

(The pic is linked from DTM Power because attaching the pic here didn't work, so I had to post it somewhere else and link it)

Justin e36
08-14-2005, 11:43 PM
picture doesn't work.
host it on imageshack.com or something.

will need to see the pic to understand what you mean.

Calvé
08-15-2005, 02:07 AM
Check here: http://www.dtmpower.net/forum/showthread.php?t=160834

Dammit, don't know why it doesn't let me attach files, you guys have the same problem?

thinair
08-15-2005, 03:10 AM
I'd glue it with something leather or upholstry safe. It's kinda strange why it's doing that, what year is your car....92-93?

Also, sorta off topic, did you name yourself after a european condiment company (ketchup, mustard, mayo), or is that you're name??? :confused: I remember seeing that stuff at every restaurant in Portugal.

Justin e36
08-15-2005, 04:08 AM
doh.. need to be a member ot dtmpower.net to view the attachment.

J

app
08-15-2005, 02:49 PM
bah, I tried to upload then max is having a technical difficulty.

http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/116/doorhandle6wb.th.gif (http://img260.imageshack.us/my.php?image=doorhandle6wb.gif)

Calvé
08-15-2005, 03:00 PM
I'd glue it with something leather or upholstry safe. It's kinda strange why it's doing that, what year is your car....92-93?

Also, sorta off topic, did you name yourself after a european condiment company (ketchup, mustard, mayo), or is that you're name??? :confused: I remember seeing that stuff at every restaurant in Portugal.

Yeah it's a 92, I dunno why it's doing it. It's only on the passenger door, not the driver. Dunno what I'm gonna do with it...

lol, na man, my name's Calvin, but everybody calls me Calve, or Calvinho. However I am Portuguese and have been there tons of times, but I didn't name myself after the condiments lol. *shiner*

PS, thanks for uploading the pic app. *th-up*

Justin e36
08-15-2005, 03:25 PM
calve, yeah the glue came undone.

you'll have to remove the plastic trim around the door handle.
1) pull door handle
2) slide door trim towards the front of the vehicle. it will slide off.
3) put some leather glue or goop / silicone back there, not too much, and smooh it out. Wait around 3 mins for it to cure, then put more pressure on it so its tacky. Slide the plastic cover back on, hopefully the pressure from the plastic trim will keep your interior leather sandwiched with the interior panel backing. Don't see any reason why it wouldn't.

Your other option is to remove the interior panel to repair it. That will give you more options for keeping the leather against the panel while it dries.

Justin

Calvé
08-15-2005, 04:41 PM
Hmm, my trim won't slide off... I can kind of pull it but it doesn't seem too leaniant, so I dunno... don't really feel like breaking the trim right now lol.

EDIT: N/m, finally got it off. Thanks for the help Justin. :)

thinair
08-15-2005, 05:16 PM
Yeah it's a 92, I dunno why it's doing it.

The reason why I asked if it was a 92 or 93 is because those two years, particularly the 91 and early 92 build models had some interior quality control issues.

Aside from that, do exactly what Justin mentioned.

If the trim breaks, they're not to hard to find used, and I can't imagine it costing that much from the dealer. The way i do it is sitting in the seat with the door closed, with your right thumb pushing forward on the on the inside edge of the front part of the trim, and your left thumb pushing forward on the rear outer edge. You can put quite a bit of pressure before anything will break, just don't put all the pressure on just the front.

Calvé
08-15-2005, 08:13 PM
Thanks for the help everyone. I just fixed it all up and it looks just like the driver side handle.

Again thanks for the help.

djcontra
08-15-2005, 08:54 PM
construction adhesive will stick it to the door extremely well. I used construction adhesive to glue my rear bumper and side skirts to my car, and they will NOT come off (at least not without a LOT of effort or cracking the bumper). If it's good enough for the body shops, why not? :)
(even rieger sent that stuff with my kit as the method of installation)