PDA

View Full Version : My E36 is running rough...help???

domenic
08-14-2005, 07:06 PM
My E36 is running rough when I start it up in the morning. It seems as it wants to stall. After it warms up the car runs perftectly.

I brought it in to my mechanic and the compuer was scanned...no problems found.

Any ideas what the problem may be? anyone?

Justin e36
08-14-2005, 08:03 PM
hey, you're still alive!

... will need more info than just "it wants to stall"... any acceleration problems? backfiring? hesitation? inconsistent RPM's? difficulty starting? odd smells? only problems when idiling? etc..

domenic
08-14-2005, 09:00 PM
Hi Justin...still alive :D

It's really strange. The problem only happens when the car is totally cold. Basically there is a lot of hesitation and inconsistent RPM's for the first 2 to 3 minutes that the car is started.

It feels like its misfiring. If I rev it up a few times the problem goes away.

If the motors temp is already hot and I try to start the car it's totally fine. Would the temp sensor have anything to do with way the car initally starts when its cold?

Well, what can I say...any suggestions or ideas would be great!!!

Thanks.

low_bmw
08-14-2005, 09:07 PM
O2 sensor

Justin e36
08-14-2005, 09:24 PM
if it is misfiring when cold, then one of your ignition coils is gone.
if it is just having problems idiling, then your ICV or O2 sensor are dying.

domenic
08-14-2005, 10:15 PM
Thanks for the info...

I just changed one O2 sensor and Im thinking the problem might be the coil....but I'm not too sure.

Im gonna check it out tomorrow.

Thanks for your help! :D

thinair
08-15-2005, 12:24 AM
My car does the same thing for about 30 seconds, it idles like a V8 with hot cams. It's enough to shake the whole car, then it just stops shaking and the car is fine.

I also have no idea what causes it.

Nice to see you on max again Domenic :)

328is_Perf
08-15-2005, 03:14 PM
ive had 2 328is's, they both did the same exact thing ... i think its pretty much normal

kwbimmer
08-16-2005, 12:01 PM
This sounds similar to the first symptoms I observed prior to finding out my mass air flow meter was pooched. A computer scan did not reveal the problem, but a physical inpection inside the unit by my mechanic isolated the prob.

jeffrie
08-16-2005, 12:08 PM
I'll join the club.
I also have this problem and no codes. Only does it once in a blue moon though, and goes away once it hit's 1500rpm's.
I was just going to change my plugs since it's nearing 170k, geuss since some of you have already done this to no avail, it's probably a waste of time.

frankzen
08-16-2005, 01:44 PM
My '95 318 was stalling sporadically (with rpm variations) even after the previous owner had replaced the MAF. So I replaced the air filter (which was dirty) and the stalling has apparently stopped. The rpm's still drop down to 300-400 right after starting it cold...then they go back to 800 or so...but it doesn't stall. Worth trying anyway.

domenic
08-16-2005, 08:49 PM
I went to get my car checked out again today, and everythings seems to be fine. I guess I'm just gonna have to live with this issue! I think it's just a waste of time trying to find out what's wrong with it.

Thans for all your input gusy...I really apreciate the help. :D

jeffrie
08-16-2005, 09:03 PM
My '95 318 was stalling sporadically (with rpm variations) even after the previous owner had replaced the MAF. So I replaced the air filter (which was dirty) and the stalling has apparently stopped. The rpm's still drop down to 300-400 right after starting it cold...then they go back to 800 or so...but it doesn't stall. Worth trying anyway.

Frankzen your symptoms sound more like a vacume leak.
At least my RPM's show normal when this issue shows itself again.

frankzen
08-16-2005, 10:59 PM
Frankzen your symptoms sound more like a vacuum leak.

Whats the best place to check the vacuum, and how much should a guage show ??

328is_Perf
08-17-2005, 12:02 AM
ive had 2 328is's, they both did the same exact thing ... i think its pretty much normal

but it wasn't as rough as to the point of shaking the car

thinair
08-17-2005, 12:32 AM
but it wasn't as rough as to the point of shaking the car

My car literally shakes, my key chain moves around, the dangly thing I have hanging off the rearview mirror sways, and I can't really see out of the rear view mirror because it's viberating.

Sometime it's only 5 seconds, sometimes it's 30 seconds.

jeffrie
08-17-2005, 07:20 AM
Whats the best place to check the vacuum, and how much should a guage show ??
First thing I'd do is take the intake Boot off and bend it back in forth on the ribs looking for tears. Hold it up to a light and you may be able to see them.
If none follow the rubber lines comming from this boot checking for the same thing. I'v never used a gauge in the past so can't help you their.

frankzen
08-17-2005, 08:22 PM
First thing I'd do is take the intake Boot off and bend it back in forth on the ribs looking for tears. Hold it up to a light and you may be able to see them.
If none follow the rubber lines comming from this boot checking for the same thing. I'v never used a gauge in the past so can't help you their.

Yeah...took it off and checked it out -- cracks between the ribs..but not very big. Could these leak enuff air to upset the engine ? Line from the boot looks old...it's a 95 so it probably is. Well I'll replace it --it's cheap -- and we'll see what happens then.

Thanks

jeffrie
08-17-2005, 09:27 PM
^^ One crack or loose hose behind the mass air flow meter is all it takes.