PDA

View Full Version : Clutch kit and Flywheel

A.K.A. Blackout
08-14-2005, 12:53 AM
So I need to pick up a clutch kit and flywheel in a little while for my 5 speed conversion to go with my M3 tranny. Are there any suggestions on what to get and where? I would prefer to get somewhere local, or in Canada as I don't want to get nailed with duties.

Mitch555
08-14-2005, 03:37 PM
So I need to pick up a clutch kit and flywheel in a little while for my 5 speed conversion to go with my M3 tranny. Are there any suggestions on what to get and where? I would prefer to get somewhere local, or in Canada as I don't want to get nailed with duties.

I got my lightweight flywheel from UUC but I went through Tunerworks in Calgary. Try them out man.

thinair
08-15-2005, 03:06 AM
If you're going to upgrade while everything is apart, I recommend the UUC Stage II flywheel setup (8.5lbs) with an e34 M5 clutch kit. It's quiet for the most part and it'll hold up a lot of power if you have any plans in the future.

duffy325
08-15-2005, 10:03 AM
If you're going to upgrade while everything is apart, I recommend the UUC Stage II flywheel setup (8.5lbs) with an e34 M5 clutch kit. It's quiet for the most part and it'll hold up a lot of power if you have any plans in the future.
I second the recommendation. All the research I did when my clutch went pointed me to this kit. Hence the reason it's sitting in my living room right now waiting for a few more parts. Read up on europeancarweb.com under the project 325i where they install it.

BMW_7
08-15-2005, 11:03 PM

How much would that one cost?? I was leaning toward a 11.5 lb because it's cheaper. And you can bolt it up to the stock clutch...

windsor318is
08-15-2005, 11:25 PM
i have a stock clutch/flywheel/pressure plate from a 98 m3 if you go with stock parts. it has 30k on it

thinair
08-16-2005, 12:14 AM
How much would that one cost?? I was leaning toward a 11.5 lb because it's cheaper. And you can bolt it up to the stock clutch...

The 11lb one has a tendancy to rattle....a lot. I know of people who have removed it because it was so annoying.

A.K.A. Blackout
08-16-2005, 07:38 AM
How much do you want for it Windsor318is?

duffy325
08-16-2005, 11:36 AM

UUC's 11.5 lb flywheel is for a stock m3 clutch, not for a 318i clutch (I'm assuming this is what you have based on your sig?). The 8.5 lb unit uses a sprung hub clutch which is supposed to largely silence gear lash, or the rattle that people always talk about.

Remember that these cars were designed with dual mass flywheel's which cushion the vibrations, so when you switch to a single mass flywheel, you need something (more than just a transmission heavy fluid) to absorb the vibrations to keep it quiet. That's why the 8.5 pound kit uses a sprung hub (oem e34 m5) as apposed to solid hub to help take absorb the vibrations.

Because this clutch is heavier than the m3 clutch they can use a lower weight than competition flywheel. The total weight in the end remains the same as the other heavier flywheel/solid hub clutch kits, The only similar setup to this is the Rogue Engineering kit with a custom m3 clutch designed with a sprung hub.

I will have a review for the 8.5lb kit next week, as I'm getting it installed Monday.

BMW_7
08-16-2005, 01:45 PM
Nice, thanks for the info. I'm not gonna get it yet, as my clutch is still good.

A.K.A. Blackout
08-16-2005, 01:51 PM
By the way BMW 7, I love that steering wheel you have. Where did you get it if you don't mind me asking?