PDA

View Full Version : Anyone recognize this dude

digiital
08-12-2005, 09:25 PM
Lets see if anyone here on MB knows who this dude is on TV.

Watch the Video (http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=digiital)

AMG_POWER
08-12-2005, 10:57 PM
i know a guy who likes to steal signals, i also see alot of people who are not even students i think, surfing the net at Yorku.

digiital
08-12-2005, 11:17 PM
Figure this, it's not hard to "use" someone else bandwidth. At the time that video was done(2 yrs ago) only 30% of people bothered to read the instructions and turn on the encryption. Currently it's up to 43% or so. So that still leave A LOT and I do mean A LOT of people who have no CLUE as to how far their personal details are travelling down the street.

thinair
08-13-2005, 05:42 AM
I think it's funny how secure people think they actually are. Even with WEP encryption it's still pretty useless if someone really wants to use your connection for whatever reason.

I've driven down Eglinton while my gf was on my laptop, she could almost seamlessly stay on msn while hopping from access point to access point. She wasn't even aware at first she was online.

Even worse is thanks to people who leave everything to their defaults. If someone wanted to be a dick they could easily get into someones access point, screw around with some settings and lock the owner out of their own connection. Or who leave their Windows workgroup name at the default name and have sharing on. Way too easy to do damage, drop off viruses, trojans, etc, etc.

Then there is the false sense of security with MAC address tables, WEP encryption, not broadcasting your SSID. There are ways around everything, the MAC address, WEP key and SSID are all went wirelessly unencrypted. MAC addresses can be spoofed, WEP keys and SSID's can be sniffed.

WPA is the bare minimum that should be used, but even is has it's issues (DoS attacks, etc). Personally I use a pretty simple RADIUS server that was built into my router/firewall/access point.

SickFinga
08-13-2005, 08:54 AM
this post was made using stolen wifi signal ;)

King Luis
08-13-2005, 05:30 PM
this post was made using stolen wifi signal ;)
HAHAHAHHAHA:D:D:D:D

Betray
08-16-2005, 03:58 AM
lol thats you.
:p i turned off WEP because of my PSP doesnt like it :p