PDA

View Full Version : What to look for when buyin an E36(m52)

ZiMMie
08-10-2005, 02:40 PM
Im goin to be chkin out this e36is m52 (96) for a freind. Jst wondering if u guys can give me a heads up on wat to look for. body wise, where do e36's rust and engine wat sounds it should be making, when engine it runnin good.

Understated
08-10-2005, 08:11 PM
" a friend " ahahahah...coming over to the darkside huh? :D j/k

anywho u can check this out
http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e36.html

not really a buying checklist but will be good when ur "Friend" :D gets the car and may have any of these problems

ZiMMie
08-11-2005, 02:26 AM
thanx for that site.
" a friend " ahahahah...coming over to the darkside huh? j/k
NOOOooo. i did my best convincin to buy an e30. but he jst want a new car. DAMN U JONNYYYY GET AN E30. *uzi* *uzi* *uzi* *uzi* *uzi* *uzi*

Justin e36
08-11-2005, 04:15 AM
" a friend " ahahahah...coming over to the darkside huh? :D j/k

not really a buying checklist but will be good when ur "Friend" :D gets the car and may have any of these problems

:D

c'mon zimmie, can you be any more obvious? :P

jeffrie
08-11-2005, 07:13 AM
Rust, Rear windsheild, trunk lip, spot's on doors, hood (the crease in the front), mirriors were they attach to door. If just painted black steel window moldings (like mine) they always rust chrome ones don't.
Anywere ealse depending on year probably means it was accedented.

thinair
08-15-2005, 03:30 AM
Engine wise they should be pretty smooth, if it seems lumpy at idle it's usually a sign that a sensor somewhere isn't functioning as it should.

For suspension, first take it out for a drive, see if the steering wheel viberates or shimmys under normal driving or braking. Check the control arm bushings by kicking the front tire forward or back, a little bit of movement is normal, like 2" isn't.

If you're serious about buying it, take it to the dealer and let them look it over, they can scan the ECU for overrevs, if it's ever overheated, etc, etc.