PDA

View Full Version : Tail light removal?

spooner_dee
08-02-2005, 01:12 PM
I just purchased a set of new tail lights online, they are due to arive in a few days. I tried to remove my stock tails a little while ago and found that i could not get it off. i removed the 4 retaining bolts and the wire harness but they would just not budge ( i only tried one light then gave up) is there anything im missing, any other bolts then the 4 behind the cover?

I bought these new lights at a TOTAL STEAL and if they are nice, by the time im ready to buy the ones i really want ill sell them make a huge profit off them and put that towards the ones i want.

heres a pic of the ones im getting. plain simple different then stock enough to hold me for now.

When the time comes im going to be getting the smoked ones to match better with my black car.

digiital
08-02-2005, 01:47 PM
I had to replace one of the stock ones I have and just un-did the bolts you can see, I did find it was alittle stuck, just banged with the palm of my hand around the light and that seemed to free it up.

JS328
08-02-2005, 02:00 PM
Mine were pretty tough to get out. The weather stripping really seals them in. I ended up carefully prying them out. Once you get it started they come out easy.

Joe

spooner_dee
08-02-2005, 02:18 PM
kewl thanks for the info will try when they come

Justin e36
08-02-2005, 05:02 PM
yes, remove the four bolts and the plug.
then you will have to wiggle them out from the outside. If it still won't budge tap it from the inside with a mallet... (where the 4 bolts go.)

When the tail light comes out, there's bound to be some dirt under there. Clean it all up, give it a spray with rust check, or when you put the new ones on lube the seal with some vaseline to keep the water out. (or white grease if you have) Aftermarket tails don't always fit perfectly snug and if you get enough water sitting under there with a small crack or pit in the paint you're looking for rust problems. Sometimes the fit is too tight, again, the vaseline/white grease will help this too. Will also help when it comes time to remove them again.

You can pry them out with a flat head, but personally I try to avoid taking any screwdriver to my paint. :)... would rather tap them out from the inside.

If you still have any problems feel free to ask.

Justin

A.K.A. Blackout
08-02-2005, 05:24 PM
Nice lights, I have the same ones on my car and I love them.

Justin e36
08-02-2005, 05:33 PM
yeah I have the non-smoked version on my car... bought them around 4 years ago before they came out here. they're german spec.. had to rewire them. :S

A.K.A. Blackout
08-02-2005, 05:34 PM
Hey Justin, when can we see pics of your car? Sorry to put on this thread, but I can't PM you.

Justin e36
08-02-2005, 05:52 PM
didn't know anyone wanted to see pics of it.
I've been holding off till I get cash flow again to drop the turbocharger and exhaust on. (I already have a new engine, and turbo.. just no cash to put it in. sucks.)

J

spooner_dee
08-13-2005, 09:58 AM
well didnt get the lights, after i bought them the guy said one was cracked bad and gave me my money back, so now im just waiting to get the smoked ones, but again thanks for all the info