PDA

View Full Version : Why choose E36 over these?

givemeanE36
07-24-2005, 10:43 AM
I will be in the market for a "new" car sometime soon and i've narrowed it down to the next few choices.

Currently i have an E30, my first bmw and i am very happy with the fit/finish/quality. It's hard to work on (or at least it was), however once you get the hang of it i find it to be pretty straight forward.

Here are the choices.

1 Mk4 Jetta (1.8T) - I really like the car, insurance is ok, it's pretty quick. My only concern is that it's turbo, and given i drive one on a weekly basis (my gf's) i am not satisfied with the the amounts of times the car has seen the dealer for misc problem, ie: cd player has been replaced 3 times in 3 years.

2. 98-01 Integra - I know the car in and out. This is probably the best choice out of all that are listed, but i'd like to move away from honda land after owning 5 civics just because i need a change.

3. 02-04 RSX - Same as integra, just more expensive.

4. 99-00 Civic SiR - great car, no torque, uses 91 ocatane :(

5. 95-98 E36 325IS

My current E30 is a 325I and i am pretty happy with the performance, i am looking for something identical out of the e36.

Now when looking at an E36, where are the common rust problem, what are the usual things that go wrong/are wrong with the car that's clost to 10 years old.

My only problem with purchasing an E36 is the price for the car you are getting. 10 years old for 10G or more is just nonsense to me. Yes i realise it's a bmw, but i don't think it's worth what people ask on the trader.

However at the same time i honestly love bmw, the e36 possess one of the best designed shapes in the world IMO, i drool over the design, so subtle, clean, professional.

Last question, how hard is to get m3 front and back bumpers? How much?

givemeanE36
07-24-2005, 10:47 AM
If some are wondering why there are some "gaps" between the prices, i have access to the Milton auction and can pick up the newer cars Jetta/RSX for less than trader prices.

Miguel
07-24-2005, 11:21 AM
I'd take the RSX.

**** BMW.

ara_yaz
07-24-2005, 11:43 AM
^^what he said. you need a jap car!

Understated
07-24-2005, 12:17 PM
another vote for the RSX.....teg's insurance is insane....325is' are overpriced. Get the RSX mang *th-up*

if u can get the type S.....ur PIMPIN *mw*

bmdbley'sBro
07-24-2005, 01:12 PM
you can find a E36 cheap but you have to patient find the right seller
know the problems of the model find them on the sellers car widdle them down

picture some middle aged owner that isn't on these boards & has only the dealership to go to..
the cost of say ball joints, tie rods, cntrl arm bshngs, brakes, etc
from a dealer is huge..
it's all in the seller.

Justin e36
07-24-2005, 01:48 PM
Personally I dislike the exterior styling of the RSX.. used to be nice, now it just looks.... bulky and girly. But performance/interior/reliability... (what really matters), it's a good choice. Next on the list would be the 99-2000 Civic SIR... the last model year the civic looked good. Integra I wouldn't poke with the 10ft stick, and Jetta while up there, as you mentioned, has reliability problems unfortunately. e36 looks nice, and it's a nice car, but age is age regardless of vehicle and you're right... it's too much to spend on a 10 year old car.

Storamin
07-24-2005, 04:25 PM
I use to think the Mk4 Jetta 1.8T was a quick car... until I drove it.

ara_yaz
07-24-2005, 04:48 PM
I use to think the Mk4 Jetta 1.8T was a quick car... until I drove it.

I used to race my friend's 1.8T and pretty much beat it every time...close race tho.

Storamin
07-24-2005, 06:26 PM
I used to race my friend's 1.8T and pretty much beat it every time...close race tho.
Maybe the one I drove was slow. It definitely didn't feel like it had that much power in it. :confused:

If you can easily afford all those cars then definitely go with the RSX.

M3ti Compact
07-24-2005, 08:32 PM
Of your choices, a BMW 325 is not in the same league as a Jetta, RSX, Integra or Civic- nor is it in the same price range. Money no object, the obvious answer is the BMW. So pretty much the question is how much are you willing to spend.

givemeanE36
07-24-2005, 10:56 PM
Money isn't really an issue. Ideally i'd like to spend 10G or less. Theoretically i can go out there and buy a $30K car cash right now, but there is no way in hell i'd spend that money on some shit on wheels.

I want something fun, something that will last me long. RSX/INtegra/Civic are all nice but have no torque, i've driven cars with no torque for the last 6 years since i was 16 and i really like the bmw. It's slower than my civics, but it's more fun.

As far as the 1.8T being fast, yes i find it fast...sure my gsr civic ran mid 13s and was faster, but relative to other STOCK cars the 1.8T has balls IMO.

Any common rust problems with the e36?

Keep in mind i do all the work to my cars from rebuilts to engine swaps, etc so i don't really care if it needs work a bit more.

givemeanE36
07-24-2005, 11:02 PM
My biggest concern is rust.

328is_Perf
07-24-2005, 11:30 PM
get a 328is ... if youre looking at that year range

it will beat RSX (i know from much experience: me vs Type S stock to stock), looks way manlier, much quality, gas mileage is good,

thats just my opinion though

jeffrie
07-25-2005, 12:24 PM
Places to look for rust on a E36, Trunk lip, spot's on the door and around window trim and were the mirrors meet the door. Spend extra care around the rear windsheild (be scared if you see any bubbles), have been known for hidden rust that you don't see till one day you slam the door and it blows out into peices....Then you can see were the rust was easily once the glass is everywere.

spooner_dee
07-25-2005, 04:45 PM
NO FOR THE VW while they are nice cars, for maybe the first 2-3 years u own them, but after that, problem after problem wiring sucks on those cars and they just arent that reliable.

go to www.msn.com go to autos. used put in vw and the year and model, then check out reliablity and so on so forth it will give you a complete listing of each model and what common problems they face, i was gonna buy a brand new 1.8t till i read that and i said FUK VW

i looked up e36's on there and really had no major issues other then a few plastic parts that crap out but you can easily spot them while looking the car over. I got my e36 for around 11,500 usd, but my car only had about 60,000 miles on it and ran beautifully all i had to do was clean the ICV and she ran like new. I looked for like 2 months or more to find that car, every other bmw i came across was gonna cost me around 10,000 usd and they all had like 100,000 miles on them or more, i got a steal on this one.

I drove a jap car b4 the e36 for 5 years...... NEVER AGAIN will i buy anything but european unless its a supra i love them cars. But there is no comparison when it comes to rice and class.....

givemeanE36
07-25-2005, 05:19 PM
Does the 328is take 91 octane?

Also as far as being fast, i really don't care about that. I just want something with "decent" power, i am not looking to run 13s, i just want to effortlessly pull away from lights and get on highways. My current 325 is really good at that, and that's all i want, no less, no more really.

RumRogerz
07-25-2005, 07:09 PM
Get a 300zx
nissan is a good carmaker

jeffrie
07-25-2005, 10:15 PM
NO FOR THE VW while they are nice cars, for maybe the first 2-3 years u own them, but after that, problem after problem wiring sucks on those cars and they just arent that reliable.

go to www.msn.com go to autos. used put in vw and the year and model, then check out reliablity and so on so forth it will give you a complete listing of each model and what common problems they face, i was gonna buy a brand new 1.8t till i read that and i said FUK VW

i looked up e36's on there and really had no major issues other then a few plastic parts that crap out but you can easily spot them while looking the car over. I got my e36 for around 11,500 usd, but my car only had about 60,000 miles on it and ran beautifully all i had to do was clean the ICV and she ran like new. I looked for like 2 months or more to find that car, every other bmw i came across was gonna cost me around 10,000 usd and they all had like 100,000 miles on them or more, i got a steal on this one.

I drove a jap car b4 the e36 for 5 years...... NEVER AGAIN will i buy anything but european unless its a supra i love them cars. But there is no comparison when it comes to rice and class.....

This is why I no longer drive VW.
The "Mexican" wiring is just a symptom of the start of unreliability they make with close to no Quality control.
Wait till their older.... Body cunstruction has suffered just as much.
However the desighn is good so their still safe and if built from Germany their not that notorious pieces of junk you think VW is today, that is left to us lucky "North Americans" who only receive the 3rd world Quality Merchendise, You can thank free trade and cheap ass consumers for this.

bmdbley'sBro
07-26-2005, 11:56 AM
This is why I no longer drive VW.
The "Mexican" wiring is just a symptom of the start of unreliability they make with close to no Quality control.
Wait till their older.... Body cunstruction has suffered just as much.
However the desighn is good so their still safe and if built from Germany their not that notorious pieces of junk you think VW is today, that is left to us lucky "North Americans" who only receive the 3rd world Quality Merchendise, You can thank free trade and cheap ass consumers for this.

Truth! I have never fixed so much on any other used car i've ever bought!
that VW it's like a mexican Chupicabra (Blood sucker of goats) always
after my wallet :eek:

Brembo blank rotors were cheaper for my E36 then my MkIII (95-VR)
the E36 also stops way quicker :confused:

bmwm5lover
07-26-2005, 04:43 PM
Neither, get a 540 or 535 and enjoy life.

givemeanE36
07-26-2005, 05:26 PM
Are there any differences between the sedan vs coupe 325? (besides doors)

RumRogerz
07-26-2005, 07:04 PM
yea, speaking of vw
my mechanic must have talked my ear off about how often audi's and vw's come in the shop. As he says, "i love working on them, cuz i make most my business from them"
and its true too, he usually has about 1 or 2 audi's or vw's in his garage if i drop on by for some bmw upgrade talk.
They are nice cars when they work, but they are nightmares when shit starts to hit the fan.. my buddy has an audi with this crazy transmission.. and check this: The transmission fluid cap is on the bottom, and only audio has the instuements that pump the fluid into the resevoir and sealing off the cap. What a whackjob transmission.
They do it on purpose... thats how they make their money....
smart germans

328is_Perf
07-27-2005, 11:57 PM
Does the 328is take 91 octane?

Also as far as being fast, i really don't care about that. I just want something with "decent" power, i am not looking to run 13s, i just want to effortlessly pull away from lights and get on highways. My current 325 is really good at that, and that's all i want, no less, no more really.

the 328 manual is about a 14.7 quarter mile car ... 0-60 6.2 ... it has plenty of power, i think minimum octane is 89 on the 328

Blacksheep
07-28-2005, 12:30 AM
I went through the same myself figuring between RSX (and S) and 328is. I opted in favour of RWD which I much prefer, but if I was driving a lot, I'd have gone with Acura reliability and economy (not that BMW is too shabby in these areas). I did loads of research and loads of test driving (the fun part) and was very impressed with RSX. One thing I didn't like about it is the wide turning circle, but a very sound car. Other contenders were WRX, Mini S and Mazdaspeed Protege. The VW is slightly sloppy handling (sorry Dub crew) and the Honda SiR is simply not quite the RSX in a lot of ways.

spooner_dee
07-28-2005, 04:30 PM
OH i also forgot about one more thing with VW, dont get me wrong i dont hate them i like them alot just too many bad things out way the good. Anywho they arent as safe as one would think, Well yes and no, My friend had a 99 1/2 jetta about a year or 2 ago and rolled it on the highway, and even though he rolled it and banged the hell out of every part of the car, his side airbags never went off, he called up VW to ask why.... they said cuz he didnt roll his car the right way...... lol i didnt know there was a right and wrong way to roll a car. He managed to get out with only a few bumps and bruises so he was safe in that way, but still i would of thought the side airbags would have deployed under that situation.

He now drives a 2000 gti with the 2.slow engine, has had nothing but electrical problems since he bought it. bad sensor this sutter that.... If i was you id go european but not vw. If u must go jap NO 4 CYL when it comes time to replace the timing belt forget it wallet drainer that needs to be done around every 60,000 miles thats why most of them their warrenties run out at 60,000 miles.... wonder why? lol

erikIS
08-08-2005, 10:55 PM
Buy my 2001 CW Type R integra