PDA

View Full Version : Windsheild Replacement.

digiital
07-20-2005, 12:51 PM
I know this has been talked about, but I'll ask again. I'm going to need to replace my WS, big star crack in it that can't be fixed.

I just called around, they are quoting me from $269 to $325, thats of course off shore cheap glass. When I spoke with the fellow at Apple he said I could get a better quality glass from PPG for something like $550.

I'll assume BMW would cost almost 1G.

I guess the other possible route is at the scrap yard.

Any comments on this? Thanks.

Justin e36
07-20-2005, 01:00 PM
you won't find much at the scrap yard... windshields are notorious for breaking when you remove them. rear glass never happens to break though... really odd.

anyway, I had to remove mine when I repainted my car around a month ago.. of course, it cracked. I had it replaced for $300 (including labour)...they did a good job, it is aftermarket but it looks OEM / has the same markings on it ...

J

digiital
07-20-2005, 01:13 PM
Who replaced yours Justin?

I just didn't want to get some cheap glass, any little piece of sand pits the cheaper glass really fast. My Old car was like that even with the GM glass it looked like someone went to it with a sand blaster.

mpower1226
07-20-2005, 01:21 PM
Who replaced yours Justin?

I just didn't want to get some cheap glass, any little piece of sand pits the cheaper glass really fast. My Old car was like that even with the GM glass it looked like someone went to it with a sand blaster.

yeah, mine also cracked when I was repainting so I got it through my dad and it 350. Now they had cheaper glass for 270? something for was recommended using this glass which is much better quality and some marking and everything. No complain there. If you are interested, I could hook u up.

let me know

Justin e36
07-20-2005, 03:05 PM
digiital.. I can get their nuimber if you need. located down here in Etobicoke though.
my original glass from 92 was still flawless... not a single pit, no scratches at all. This aftermarket glass I got is apparently the same quality. He had cheaper glass too but recommended I don't cheap out and go with this one.

digiital
07-20-2005, 03:36 PM
Sure fire it off Justin. I'll be 1.5 months before I can do it. But I'll keep the number for when I'm ready.

Ya I don't want to go on the cheap(low quality glass) for sure.

AJL
07-20-2005, 08:02 PM
The glass at the dealers is $325, you will also need a new seal roughly $50 and i think it is about $100-$200 for the install depending on what the dealer is charged by the third party installer.

I was quoted $510 to replace mine with a new OEM WS

Justin e36
07-20-2005, 10:01 PM
digiital.. will let you know tomorrow.
btw.. the $300 includes new seal & labour.

Jari
07-21-2005, 01:45 AM
check your insurance policy because I know mine covers broken windows as a seperate item on my policy. I have a $100.00 deductable, which most glass shops pay anyways. It's worth checking into.