PDA

View Full Version : HELP! E36 Won't START :(

MatyBMW
07-13-2005, 05:32 PM
98' 328is..

I was driving to a friends house today. Parked my car for 45 seconds, then went back inside, attempted to start the car and NOTHING.

All the guages light up, everything works when i turn the key, power is going throughout the vehicle, but the starter doesn't even attempt to turn over.

Eurostyle says the starter may have suddenly died. But this seems a bit weird because shouldn't it start to slowly malfunction over time? He also said it may be the relay or the wires.

I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the fact that I have been unplugging and plugging in my factory alarm under the hood for the audible alarm, maybe that has blown a fuse or relay.

So i guess my question is, should i look for a blown fuse? Or is there anything relatively easy I can check before I bring it to Charlie? Maybe someone knows the fuse number responsible for the starter.

Any help would be appreciated.

Justin e36
07-13-2005, 05:45 PM
http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56389

MatyBMW
07-13-2005, 05:59 PM
THanks man,

Seems he has no solution yet though.. :(

FLIPbmw
07-13-2005, 06:45 PM
Same thing happen to me. For no reason it just didn't want to start up again. Keep trying to start it, connect a booster pack just incase (even if ur power works). After 15min of trying, it started.

MatyBMW
07-13-2005, 07:11 PM
Thats really weird.

YOu would think that if a starter is going to go, it won't just suddenly go. You will probably hear it grinding or something. Thats why i think it must be a ground or a wire, because it sounds like no power is getting to the starter.

I checked under the hood and did notice that on the left side of the hood, there is a thick wire which connects to the frame of the vehicle near the passengers windshield side. i noticed that mine was disconnected so i reconnected the wire to the ground and still, car won't start.

I'm going to try your boost idea, but i'm 95% sure that won't work.

Starters are expensive. About $300 for an aftermarket, plus 2 hours labour.... damn i hope its just a relay. I'm sure there are other people who report the same problem.

MatyBMW
07-14-2005, 09:38 AM
THis morning, car still won't start so I bump start it, drive to Mississauga and drop it off at Charlies. I then test the car again and it starts...

Now I'm thinking it can't be the starter, probably corroded wires. Is this the best guess?

moregothanshow
07-14-2005, 01:45 PM
check your fuel pump plugs under the rear passenger side seats, i used to have that problem and found out it was a bad connection. i just bought some die electric grease and i have no problem to this date...
Good Luck...

MatyBMW
07-14-2005, 02:44 PM
fuel pump plugs?

It can't be fuel related because the starter doesn't even turn.... it has to be something related to the starter...

Mitch555
07-14-2005, 07:37 PM
THis morning, car still won't start so I bump start it, drive to Mississauga and drop it off at Charlies. I then test the car again and it starts...

Now I'm thinking it can't be the starter, probably corroded wires. Is this the best guess?

Ahhhh.... That was your car in Charlie's driveway I saw this morning then! I was wondering who's car that was!

Anywhooz.... sometimes the starter needs a few taps from a metal object and it starts to work again. Try it next time it does that to you.

328is_Perf
07-16-2005, 02:11 PM
i have a good starter for sale if not :D