PDA

View Full Version : Carbonio Intake Extension

thinair
07-11-2005, 06:55 PM
Well, i've been planning this for a while. Ever since I got my Carbonio intake, I wanted to put the filter lower into the bumper. I have headlight washer jets, and the filter sorta gets in the way, and because my bumper moves the fog lights into the center of it, I figure I'd extend the intake all the way down.

I happened to get a hold of a spare wrecked tube from a friend of a friend (although 3" muffler piping would have worked the same).

Anyway, now my filter is resting on the bottom of my bumper.

I'm not sure how loud it is yet, but hopefully it's not any louder then before.

The diagonal silver line you see behind the bumper grill is the filter seam.

Quack
07-11-2005, 07:08 PM
nice job Nelson, maybe you should get that foam insert the goes between the two piping from AEM, if your cone filter gets submerged it would suck air from higher up

thinair
07-11-2005, 07:16 PM
I'm not too worried actually, for that to happen, I'd need to be in like 12-14" of water. I'm not one to venture into deep puddles.

The filter new sits roughly where my old Motorix CAI sits, and I never had water issues with it.

jeffrie
07-11-2005, 08:11 PM
IMO I think that's a little low (I do like though).
The few track junkies I know always say that having an intake any less then a foot off the ashfalt takes the "cold air intake" effect away due to the radiant heat off the pavement on hot summer days. Geuss not important on a street car...Still some HP loss on hot days that could be avoided.

thinair
07-11-2005, 08:17 PM
True, but regardless where I mount the intake, the air is almost certainly going to enter via that duct on the bumper and travel up the inner fender. So I figured why not right in front of the grill and save the air from getting heated by the rad on the way up.

app
07-11-2005, 11:03 PM
I thought on the carbonio website they said that if you had the washer jets, you couldn't get the intake down?

thinair
07-11-2005, 11:18 PM
I thought on the carbonio website they said that if you had the washer jets, you couldn't get the intake down?

Yep, that was thanks to me. They installed my intake in house to see what the deal was with ellipsoids and washer jets.

That said, technically they will fit, just not comfortably...

app
07-11-2005, 11:28 PM
Sweet! I want to disconnect them anyhow. Glad to know it will fit.

SpoolinS6
07-11-2005, 11:34 PM
NICEEEE

wanna make me an intake 2 ? LOL

thinair
07-13-2005, 01:39 AM
Ok, well, yes, it is louder. I dunno if I should be impressed or embarrased. It was pretty loud before, but now it's almost stupid loud, but only above 5000rpm, so it's ok I guess.

And regarding the low intake filter and track temps, at least now I'll know exactly the air temp going into the filter, the OBC temp sensor in the brake duct is at the same height :P I don't think it'll be that bad. I can't see the air next to the rad or in the engine bay being any colder.

Bruno
07-15-2005, 01:40 PM
This is almost the same height as my setup on the race car... I just built it for 70 Cdn worth of bent truck pipe and connectors.

thinair
07-15-2005, 01:56 PM
This is almost the same height as my setup on the race car... I just built it for 70 Cdn worth of bent truck pipe and connectors.

That's all it takes, a 3" pipe is a 3" pipe right. But like my old stainless steel Motronix setup, the intake pipe would get really hot, like hot enough to burn me after some hard driving. The carbon seems to be a lot cooler, the last thing you want to do is heat up the air as it's going into the engine.

Bruno
07-15-2005, 02:09 PM
I will see how mine runs on my next track day once the new engine is installed... next month.

jeffrie
07-15-2005, 02:22 PM
PVC pipe workes as good as carbon fiber for not conducting heat, but it's ugly.

thinair
07-15-2005, 02:49 PM
PVC is also hard to get weird angles out of. And the inside diameter isn't 3", the black PVC piping has pretty thick walls.

RevShoT
07-15-2005, 03:06 PM
after having personally built the exact same thing u did im going to say good luck cleaning that damn filter, i came to the conclusion that it wasnt worth it, i was throwing my filter in the washing machine every 2 damn days, but could have been cause i didnt have mud guards (inner fenders) on the car so when the wheels spun up front they threw every peice of dirt right at the filter

thinair
07-15-2005, 05:12 PM
well, the filter was like 8" above where it is now, and my old Motronix intake was roughly in the same spot (down in the bumper), and I never had issues. Having fender liners keeps a lot of crap off it.

Furious
07-15-2005, 10:41 PM
dont worry nelson , my motronix one is that low, i actually dont have an undertray and just the tinniest bit sticks under, ive never had a water issue.

325isRED
07-16-2005, 02:46 AM
looks good...