PDA

View Full Version : Tips on removing valve cover and reinstall

Autotechnica
09-21-2002, 09:11 PM
Hey guys,

I'm going to remove my valve cover so I can sand it down and repaint it. I want to know if there is anything I should know, percautions, etc.

I have the M42 318i engine. I just remove all the nuts then thats it right? When reinstalling can I reuse the same valve cover seals? Thanks

Bryan

KIRASIR
09-21-2002, 10:03 PM
You could reuse the gasket but since you are removing the cover you might as well change the gasket. They are not very expensive.

Just make sure you don't drop anything there, while the cover is off.. :)

SL

PS Painting is so so you should powder coat it.

Autotechnica
09-22-2002, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by KIRASIR
You could reuse the gasket but since you are removing the cover you might as well change the gasket. They are not very expensive.

Just make sure you don't drop anything there, while the cover is off.. :)

SL

PS Painting is so so you should powder coat it.

Hey Serge,

Where's the best place to get a gasket? Also, whats the best one to get?

KIRASIR
09-22-2002, 12:34 AM
One word:

Dealer.

I really don't see the point of getting an aftermarket one. It would be just a waste of money. It's just a seal to prevent the oil from leaking out. It's not like a head gasket that has to cope with high temperatures and pressure.

Serge

Originally posted by MTRD

Hey Serge,

Where's the best place to get a gasket? Also, whats the best one to get?

Autotechnica
09-22-2002, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by KIRASIR
One word:

Dealer.

I really don't see the point of getting an aftermarket one. It would be just a waste of money. It's just a seal to prevent the oil from leaking out. It's not like a head gasket that has to cope with high temperatures and pressure.

Serge

You know the ones you can just squeez out like a paste from Canadian Tire? Are those any good?

Bryan

KIRASIR
09-22-2002, 01:15 AM
I tried that stuff on my GEO a couple years back for a thermostat gasket. The results weren't too good(I ended up going to the dealership and buying a gasket). I've never tried it on the valve cover but I would probably just spend the 3-15 bucks and buy the new rubber one from the dealer.

Serge

You know the ones you can just squeez out like a paste from Canadian Tire? Are those any good?

Bryan

djcontra
09-22-2002, 10:22 AM

Bryan

that stuff isn't that great and i wouldn't trust it on it's own
i usually use a combination of that liquid gasket stuff and an actual gasket so it's completely sealed.

The gasket shouldn't run you more than a few dollars, maybe $20 at most.
most gaskets i've bought for domestic cars cost me about $10 or less

Gurl Bmw
09-24-2002, 11:17 AM
Make sure u change them....
Why don't you polish it while it is off...?
Polishing will last longer then paint....
You must have patience when putting the valve cover back on with the new gaskets... it is hard....
Well at least I had problems.....

Autotechnica
09-24-2002, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Gurl Bmw
Make sure u change them....
Why don't you polish it while it is off...?
Polishing will last longer then paint....
You must have patience when putting the valve cover back on with the new gaskets... it is hard....
Well at least I had problems.....

Hi Jen,

Actually I had to sand off all the silicon and I tried to do it while the valve cover was still on. Did you just take off all the lines which stick out on the valve cover completely? I found it very difficult to sand inbetween each of those lines. I had to use sand paper and sand if off by hand. Once I sanded it down to bare metal it didn't shine very much, plus it had lots of stains I could not get rid of.

I know I asked you this before, but what did you use to polish the valve cover? I still could not find anything at crappy tire.. ehh I mean canadian tire :p

Thanks,

Bryan

openwheel
09-30-2002, 01:14 AM
I just repainted my valve cover this week-end and I replaced the main valve cover gasket and the 4 cam end gaskets ( i think that is what they are called?) No real trauma's, just torque the valve cover evenly when re-installing.

openwheel
09-30-2002, 01:16 AM
And I got everthing at the dealer for around $30.00

Gurl Bmw
09-30-2002, 11:07 AM
Bryan,

I used a compond wheel.. I believe that is what it is called... and used a compond on it... you can buy different coloured ones, they do different stuff... i can't remeber what color we used.... Might of been blue or white.... not sure......

Oh make sure you don't torque the valve cover on too tight... I guess they strip really easy... then your screwed....

Gamite
09-30-2002, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Gurl Bmw
Bryan,

Oh make sure you don't torque the valve cover on too tight... I guess they strip really easy... then your screwed....

Good point, you'd better get a torque wrench.