PDA

View Full Version : E36 Nightmare!!

bigbadboss10
07-04-2005, 09:14 PM
Traded my 97 Prelude with 217km for a 93 325i with 148km. I needed more room, and didn't want a low rider anymore. So I swapped cars with someone and neither of us did an inspection or lien check, which was pretty stupid.

After I got the car, I took it to Shop A to get fluids changed, and a couple other things done. Shop A phoned back and said car is in bad shape. He told me car has been in a major accident and the struts were gone, control arm bent, and front end has been put back together. Shop A didn't do any further work, and I took the car home.

Cost $80

Next I took the car to Shop B that does frame work, alignment etc. I asked him to check if the frame alignment is good. He phoned back saying it looks fine. Because of that, I decided to get the struts replaced. Got the Koni kit from Tunerworks, as well as control arms. Parts cost me $1,100 Cdn. or so. Car was in the shop for 3 days cuz Shop B needed certain parts and had to search all over for them. They said the suspension on the car is from another car and had trouble putting the Koni's on. At the end of the day (or 3 days) labour cost plus bushing kit, sway bar, mounts etc came out to $1,300.

Cost $2,400

When I checked out the car I knew there were a few things that needed to be replaced. Eg. no radio reception, heater noisy, seat problem, tempermental window switch. Then a whole bunch of problems were found. First the A/C components were missing. The front right window popped out, the muffler started to dangle, heater blows the same air (temperature), etc. I decided to take the car to BMW for some of the fixes, and made appointment with Shop D to get some other minor work done. Dropped car off at BMW and service person phoned at 4:30pm and gave me this list of quotes:

- A/C Inop. All lines bent during accident. Hoses, receiver/dryer,
compressor. $1,051 (all prices below are before tax).

- Coolant fan blade broken $128.
- Replace heater unitl $788.
- Muffler, hangers $487.50.
- Coolant level switch $117 (I read in Bimmerforum this is a $20
part).
- Coolant flush $90
- Window clips and regulator. $313. When I got home the front
left window popped out. Regualator arms seem to be bent
on both. I did put the panel apart but couldn't do much. So
times the price by two.
- Ambient temp. sensor $180.
- Engine mount collapsed $269.
- A/C belt tensioner $176

Then they told me my front struts and sway bar links were
installed backward!!! $966 to repair this, and I need a
4-wheel alignment! Shop 2 did the install and the alignment so WTF?

So all the stuff BMW quoted me would be $4,500+.

I know I was stupid to pull the trigger on the deal. Car looked good, had a few issues and I didn't take it for an inspection. We wrote up two bills of sales and said condition "As Is". Do I cut my loses and sell the car? I don't know if it's worthwhile to put that kind of $$$ in. I can probably do better if I get parts elsewhere, and go to somewhere other than BMW.

PM me if you like.

Thanks.

Justin e36
07-04-2005, 10:40 PM
Personally, I'd feel like an ass selling that car to someone else.
Is it worth it to repair?... Nope. $4500+ is almost the value of the vehicle itself.

Another option, BMW parts really are not that expensive.. you just have to find the right people / places to go. Find a good mechanic, or do some work yourself.. I'm sure you can cut that quote in half.

Understated
07-04-2005, 11:54 PM
4500?....OUCH..if u were in toronto u could call charlie and i'm sure he'd help you out. Good luck man.

bigbadboss10
07-05-2005, 12:02 AM
Some of the stuff I can do, with a friend. I have no idea about A/C, engine mount, though. yeah I can get some used parts too, like the heater unit and the regulator etc.

Value of cars are higher here in the west.

app
07-05-2005, 12:40 AM
The ambient temp sensor, it might just be corroded wires. That was my case. It's really easy to look at, and would take you no time to replace. Its in the brake duct at the front.

app
07-05-2005, 12:42 AM
The ambient temp sensor, it might just be corroded wires. That was my case. It's really easy to look at, and would take you no time to replace. Its in the brake duct at the front.

Muffler hangers are really easy too.

thinair
07-05-2005, 12:54 AM
well, for the engine mounts, you could buy used ones, or get aftermarket ones cheaper. Hell, I got a pair of urethane mounts for $100CDN

The ambient temp sensor isn't a critical part of the car either. I've had a busted wire on mine for the longest time.

bigbadboss10
07-05-2005, 09:20 AM
Yup the coolant level sensor is cheap, and the ambient temp. sensor probably is too. I did notice wires hanging by the front wheel well. Muffler I would need to replace as it is rusted. I can do a cat back if needed cheaper than the muffler at BMW. Thanks for the help guys.

Bruno
07-06-2005, 01:04 PM
- A/C Inop. All lines bent during accident. Hoses, receiver/dryer,
compressor. $1,051
People like me pulled their complete A/C system, find a racer that did that on it's car. I gave my stuff away for free.

- Coolant fan blade broken $128.
This part cost around 45 Cdn easy fix

- Replace heater unitl $788.
I have a complete unit that I will pull out of my race car soon.

- Muffler, hangers $487.50.
You can get my stainless steel muffler if you want or get one from a muffler shop for 250 -300 or so. All the hanger aren't too expensive.

- Coolant level switch $117 (I read in Bimmerforum this is a $20
part).
This is 40 Cdn from the dealer, I get them for 25 Cdn

- Coolant flush $90
45 min labour, 2.5l of coolant and distilled water, easy fix

- Window clips and regulator. $313. When I got home the front
left window popped out. Regualator arms seem to be bent
on both. I did put the panel apart but couldn't do much. So
times the price by two.
I have the complete assembly if it is a two door.

- Ambient temp. sensor $180.
I have one, I need to find where I put it. Is it the inside temp sensor or the outside one? I have both

- Engine mount collapsed $269.
70 Cdn each new or you can get my used one for cheaper when I pull the engine out next week.

- A/C belt tensioner $176
I can get it cheaper I think I broke the one on the race car, there is several model.

I don't really know how you can install the front strut backward... even the sway bar link they really go only one way. I would have to see.

No offense, but BMW quotes are only good for a good laugh. All these can be fixed for a small amount of money and some free time.

Now that you invested so much money in the car, you might as well get it right. You know that at the end the car would have been fixed and it would have been done the right way.

It is always a tough decision when you spend so much money on a car and then you find so many problems.

Keep me posted if I can help.

bmdbley'sBro
07-06-2005, 05:28 PM

uhhm, yeahh

#1 don't buy cars without inspections..
#2 did you drive the thing? how can you not feel Blown front struts
and a Bent control arm? must;ve been all over the place or pulling severly!

#3 start drafting the threating civil lawsuit letters... some one owes you money!
you paid almost the full amount of a suspenion kit to have your new suspenion kit re-installed?
as mentioned how do you put struts in backwards?
they have mounting bolt holes that wouldn't line up? what zip tied on wood screwed? :D

Sounds like all you've found are pro wallet rapers & not real mechanics.
It cost me 3hrs @t $50 for my suspenion installl ..
So F'king sue somebody bro please.. :mad:

Im suprised there isn't a quote for $500 muffler bearings in there. *sad*

*almost forgot:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/index.htm
http://www.bavauto.com/shop.asp
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/

Bruno
07-07-2005, 07:40 AM
The problem is that he bought the car AS-IS that means even if the car was a total wreck... there is not much you can do.

The only thing he could do is take action against the shop... and again this is going to be a long and difficult process. Small claim court (no lawyers) would be good for that. He willl have to get the car inspected by a third party adjuster.

At that point, I still think with the amount of money invested that it is better to just finish the car. If he sells the car now, he will loose money.

gnarfy
07-07-2005, 09:55 AM
you always have 30 days for returning the car, the "AS IS" is completly untrue, they can't do that

I know this, even if they blown the engine after 5 days, they can return the car to you...

Bruno
07-07-2005, 10:16 AM
Most used cars are sold "as is", which means that the car comes with no guarantees or warranties, implied or otherwise. When you buy a used car "as is", you are agreeing to take the car in its present condition, inheriting any problems that it may have.

In some provinces, such as Ontario, you may have recourse through government organizations should your transaction with a dealer go wrong. This recourse does not extend to private sales. Private sales are extremely popular and are the cheapest way of purchasing a vehicle because there is no overhead or regulations. However, the consumer has little recourse under a private sale and often finds him or her self unable to take the action to court because the seller cannot be found or has no funds to sue against. (from some ontario law website)

The only thing that could be done would be small claim court...
http://www.lawconnection.ca/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=18

Good luck getting anything back. I don't know how many people got the car back after selling it as is. If the engine blows up... and you didn't know about it, then it isn't really your fault. What if the guy doesn't know how to drive 5 speed and burns the clutch???