PDA

View Full Version : justin e36 - i need your help too

V10 Power
07-01-2005, 08:12 PM
looking to set up my front lighting like yours - angel eyes + hi intensity low beam headlights. Make it easy on me, looking for parts needed and apx cost

Justin e36
07-01-2005, 11:11 PM
you don't need much:

1) new wires to handle 100w xenon bulbs
2) drill

cost: maybe $40 including bulbs.

first thing you need to do is change those foglight wires, since they won't be enough to handle the higher wattage, besides the stock foglight wires are prone to dry-rotting and cracking, they should all be replaced after 10 years IMHO. Just follow the current wires to your fuse box, and run new wires instead. You'll need to put in a higher amperage fuse too. (my angel eyes and fogs both run on the same circuit, so I really beefed mine up.)

reattach the same foglight connector as before, you can "pry" it open and attach the new wires inside it.

with your foglights removed you will need to drill a few small holes in the back to allow heat to escape, otherwise your foglights may crack with the heat in extreme cold weather if they ever get hit.. (i.e. rocks.) drill two holes on either side of the connector, and a hole at the bottom (drain hole, in case moisture ever finds it way in there.) Alternately, you can attach a vent-tube to the holes to ensure water doesn't get in. Plastic aquarium hosing actually works well since it can hold up to heat pretty well.

Pick up some 100W H1 Xenon's (not 50W) and pop them in. Make sure to adjust your foglights so they aim a little lower than usual, since these are technically highbeam bulbs... they won't blind anyone if you adjust them properly though. (I've never been pulled or over or headlight flashed.)

Alternately, you can use 55W low beam xenon bulbs, but I would still highly recommend replacing your wires... the stock ones are fire hazards waiting to happen. (they're all non-insulated until 1998!)

Hope that helps.

Justin

V10 Power
07-02-2005, 08:54 AM
thanks for the help - i assume you bought the angel eye rings from ebay?
Which bulbs do you use for your headlights? - I don't want bulbs so bright that you can't see the angel eyes - trying to make it look as close to new BMW's as possible.

V10 Power
07-02-2005, 09:02 AM
just saw the entire headlamp assembly with angel eyes, are these the ones you bought? would you recommend them or something else...

Justin e36
07-02-2005, 03:31 PM
I bought OEM ZKW headlamps from Germany.. they came out of a 98 M3 in Germany... my brother there went there a few years back, while backpacking across Europe... and he shipped them back for me.

Once I received them I cracked them open and installed my own home-made custom angel eye kit. So it's not from eBay... although some of my parts were from the older generation Umnitza headlights.

Keep in mind that you can not put angel eyes in US-spec plastic headlamps, there is not enough room in there. You will need to go aftermarket or OEM Euro spec.

Once you get your headlamps, you can mask out the reflector on the low-beam bulb so your angel eyes will still show bright even with your lowbeams on. You can also remove the candle light in the highbeam bulb to keep it up.

Is white angel eyes OK?.. or are you looking to be able to change to any color? (like mine)...

V10 Power
07-03-2005, 09:44 PM
Thanks for the advice - one colour is fine, looking for that bluish colour - oem look.
What would you mask the low beam headlamp with?

Justin e36
07-03-2005, 11:24 PM
you can either:

a) unscrew the lowbeam headlight reflector
b) mask it with electrical tape. the head from the bulb will actually melt this on so no worries about it peeling. it you ever wanted to remove it, some paint thinner will take the hardened glue off.
c) mask and paint the reflector with black caliper paint or engine paint. (caliper paint works better). You'll need to lightly sand it with 400 grit sandpaper first.

V10 Power
07-04-2005, 08:24 AM
I guess i'm better off just ordering the whole headlamp assembly? - There's a few different kinds, any recommendations on which ones, or if i should even bother??
(I have a Canadian car - guessing its the same as US spec as far as headlights go.)

Justin e36
07-04-2005, 01:29 PM
yep.. our canadian cars have the same US spec plastic headlights. (tap yours with your knuckles.. you'll hear, definately plastic.) When it comes to aftermarket e36 headlights, to be honest they're all practically the same with the exception of hella, who made projectors instead. (don't recommend... good build quality, but look ugly!).

Get depo or check out www.umnitza.com .. they're pretty good there, good customer service.. just beware of brokerage charges..