PDA

View Full Version : Engine making noise...

chockomonkey
06-22-2005, 10:51 PM
i've had my car for about a year now. 1995 325i. atm it has about 130k miles on it. The guy i bought it from wasn't the original owner, but he seemed like he took care of stuff. Before i bought it, i had my local BMW dealership do a diagnostic on it--the expensive one Everything chekced out great.

For the past several months, however, the engine has been making odd noises. I'm not sure if it is different from when i bought the car, 'cause i wasn't that in-tune with it... but it could be.

In any case, it sounds rattly. In addition there is a ticking noise. Sounds kindof like a metranome, which ticks for time a second when idling. It speeds up as the rpms go up naturally.

It is kinda hard to describe, and i have no way of recording what it sounds like.

Is anyone able to understand the noise i'm describing and perhaps know what it is?

and if not, who shoudl i have it taken to to check it out?

Thanks for the help!

Justin e36
06-22-2005, 10:57 PM
rattling sound = VANOS unit
grinding / clicky / rattle sound = chain tensioner, or A/C tensioner need lubing.

Quack
06-22-2005, 11:21 PM
ticking noise could be the hydraulic lifters, it's just a guess

propr'one
06-23-2005, 12:37 PM
How much cash did the dealer take from you for the diag?

im gettin a 325i soon and want to get one, but if their like 500$ i may skip it

MOL
06-23-2005, 12:50 PM
My previous 318is use to burn oil quite a bit, and whenever it was just on the low side it use to tick like you describe......that was my little reminder for a top-up.

I always find it funny when spring/summer hits.....I think we all hear new/odd noises since we fnially get to drive with the windows down here in the Great White North and hear things we missed over the winter.