PDA

View Full Version : Car died. e36

FLIPbmw
06-18-2005, 09:26 PM
Car info
1992 e36 automatic
no mods
about a 1yr old battery from cdn tire
new headunit put in, but it was last year.
engine rust proofed 2 years ago (lots of oil/grease wtver they use in engine bay)
car rust proofed in winter 04
oil changed around christmas last year

Today I took my car to work and noticed that the battery light stayed on. The car drove fine to work (only 2km away). I took my car out for my lunch break down the street less than 1km away to get some food, the batt light still on. When I was driving back to work my car started to act very sluggish. Off the light I would slowly hit 4000rpm and the car would be rolling as if it was only 1000rpm and would slowly gain speed. When I turned into the parking lot, my ABS light turned on and flickered, my radio spazzed, lights dimmed, windows hardly had any power etc and the engine was worse off, but I managed to pull the car in my spot before I thaught it would die.

When I drove it home (2km away), it was acting very bad with acceleration, speed and still problem with the electricity etc. When I pulled into my drive way the car died. I came to a stop and popped it in park and then it just started sputtering trying to stay alive but it gave. It wont start up again as it has no power. A booster pack wont even do it, I had to use 2 (front/trunk) to get it started again, but it wont last.

What do you think the problem would be?

Justin e36
06-18-2005, 09:59 PM
that "battery light" is actually your alternator light.

your alternator is either dead (not functioning properly), your alternator belt is slack (needs tightening), or has snapped and is no longer on your car.

from the slow degeneration of your car, I would say your alternator belt is either slack, or your alternator is half dead.

328is_Perf
06-18-2005, 10:38 PM
are your battery wire connectors tightened/ clean?

Birdman
06-18-2005, 11:47 PM
Alternator