PDA

View Full Version : Dash Dimming

crazyvadim
06-12-2005, 04:10 PM
Im about to pick up a low mileage 540i but the dash is dimming......like where it tells you the mileage,temperature etc. etc.

How much does that cost to fix? Do i have to replace the whole cluster?

openwheel
06-12-2005, 10:19 PM
From what I understand it is a pretty common problem, and from what I remember reading, it is around $400 to fix it. There are some ads in Bimmer magazine for places that will fix it for you.

crazyvadim
06-12-2005, 10:38 PM
From what I understand it is a pretty common problem, and from what I remember reading, it is around $400 to fix it. There are some ads in Bimmer magazine for places that will fix it for you.

your right....People been telling me its a common problem.

Can the dealership do it? im buying a 540i from a high line car dealership and they are selling me an extended warranty....would it be covered under warranty?

Gamite
06-13-2005, 12:08 PM
serious? I woulda figured itw as just a bulb.

everlast
06-17-2005, 05:41 PM
No, its pixels going dead in the display (or so people say). Look for VDO repair in google. they have a remove replace procedure. If you are brave, pull it out, crack it open as much as you can (preferably enough to see the 'ribbons' or even pull them out), hit it with compressed air and cross your fingers. Some have had success with that.

In the USA, you can get a new cluster for only the labour charge if you call BMWNA, but they aren't doing that in Canada.

crazyvadim
06-18-2005, 02:16 AM
In the USA, you can get a new cluster for only the labour charge if you call BMWNA, but they aren't doing that in Canada.

Really? i got to look into that.

Isnt the mileage going to change when you get a new cluster? i think it becomes reported to carfax as "unknown real mileage"

everlast
06-18-2005, 10:57 AM
That's part of the labour charge, the dealer has to preprogram the cluster.

If you send the cluster into VDO repair they fix yours and send it back.