PDA

View Full Version : Are these figures right???

Bliss
01-15-2002, 10:26 PM
In the latest pbmw they show model specs of bmw's and why are they so over rated. I mean i know its because they are european specs, but what got me, was the M3. I thought the hp stayed the same on the euro and n-american?? maybe not?

Bliss
01-15-2002, 10:33 PM
Those damn europeans! lol j/k m3pilot is happier than ever over there.:D

Gamite
01-15-2002, 10:47 PM
yeah I know, emissions are killing us.. literally! :puke:

azn330i
01-15-2002, 11:04 PM
yea and y the dumb speed limiters........my car is limited to 128mph or about 208kph while in europe it's 155mph. what's up with that?? not like i'll ever reach those speeds:rolleyes:

MPRESION
01-15-2002, 11:10 PM
I think it does have to do with the emissions.... I mean besides California, I think we've got one of the strictest emission policies around.

Kaisake
01-16-2002, 01:07 AM
Euro: 343hp
North America: 333hp

Think it has something to do with the catalytic converter. Can't do anything about that... yet... since the cats are integrated with the header.

GR8 Ride
01-16-2002, 01:09 AM
It has to do with how they actually *rate* the horsepower.

In Europe, it's rated in DIN (of which I don't recall the actual full extension of the acronym).

In North America it's rated SAE Net (Society of Automotive Engineers, net HP).

This is one of the big differences as well between HP ratings of *yesteryear* (such as the 50's and 60's) and modern era.

HP ratings up until the late 70's were generally SAE-Gross, when the government forced manufacturer's to use the more accurate SAE-Net format.

Essentially the major difference is the mandatory inclusion of all emissions equipment, full exhaust, intake, accessories (AC, alternator, power steering et al) and a flywheel.

SAE gross numbers represent only the absolute best an engine can produce without any such encumberances.

Pat