PDA

View Full Version : 15" and Bridgestone SO3's

Matthew C Smith
01-15-2002, 07:16 PM
I have a set of summer 15" wheels that I need new tires for. I would really like to get a set of the Bridgestone SO3 tires for them. I do about 50-60% of my driving on the highway, but would really like a high performance tire that would be more capable of the occasional autox and track day that I do in the summer.

I read one review on tire rack from someone with a 328is that used them...
Bridgestone Potenza S-03 Pole Position - 1996 BMW 328is - Holmen, WI
Driving Style: Fast and Aggressive - Driving Condition: Mostly Highway
Reviewer's Overall Ratings: 9.50 out of 10 - Review Submitted 2001-08-04
After I replaced the stockers with the S-03s the whole attitude of the car changed. It's now much more capable and even a more comfortable every day, even with the low profiles. With the S-03, Bridgestone clearly remains at the top of the tire industry.

Well he doesn't mention size.

What does everyone think?
Will I lose too much sidewall and have the wheels/tires look goofy and lose gearing?

Comments and suggestions are always welcome. Thanks guys!

azn330i
01-15-2002, 07:22 PM
i hear that S-03s are the best out there.......people say they have great wear, great traction in wet and dry and are quiet. They are quite expensive tho......S-02s are cheaper and they provide almost the same performance.

i can't wait till i wear out my contisportscontacts and get new tires! :D

Matthew C Smith
01-15-2002, 07:28 PM
I have often heard that as the SO2's wore out their rain performance went way downhill. Supposidly the SO3 has gotten rid of this.

azn330i
01-15-2002, 07:40 PM
really?..........well it's "what u pay, is what u get" isn't it?

Matthew C Smith
01-15-2002, 07:44 PM
Sounds like it..... :P

330DTM
01-15-2002, 07:59 PM
I know i'm getting off-topic here, but
Toyo Proxes T1-S are good tires as well!
I was contemplating whehter to put the Pilot's the S02's or the T1-s's. For the money I went for the Proxes. Although I don't do any track driving, I found that they were good still for dail driving. They are quiet believe it or not, and the traction you get in wet is much better than the other crappy set of Michelle Pilot HX tires I had :P

But oh well, I heard heard the S03's were a nice tire so I'll leave it up to you.

Matthew C Smith
01-15-2002, 08:02 PM
what size proxes did you run?
I think you can only get them in 225/50 R15 right?

M52_Alpina
01-15-2002, 08:10 PM
i wouldn't expect too much rain performance from any summer tires out there. Well, i am running 225/45/17 S02s at the front and 245/40/17 S02s at the rears on my 328is. I must say this is the best STREET tire i have ever used.. excellent wet/dry traction. I purchased them at the beginning of the past summer, i did one track event on it and plenty of highway driving, and there are still plenty of tread left.

I think the S03 will last pretty long if you are not putting them on the track. I would definitely look into Pirelli P Zeros too.

Matthew C Smith
01-15-2002, 08:15 PM
how many miles have you gotten out of the Toyo's?

Matthew C Smith
01-15-2002, 08:18 PM
I donno, some days I think I should just get some whatever tires and beat on them for a few more years. Then use the money to get a set of 17" wheels.

Then some days I think I should just go with the best I can get right now and worry about later, later.

330DTM
01-16-2002, 09:01 AM
Matthew...
You're a lucky man today LOL. I just checked out Toyo's website and I noticed that they have it in the size you're looking for.
225/50R15 Is it not? well the web URL is,

http://www.toyotires.ca/products/sizesPass.asp?Sizes=t1s&Submit=Search

Anyways, I'm still using the Proxes on my Volvo T-5 wagon. The size is 205/50/16 Z-rated. I've had about 10,000kms on them. The tread wear wasn't uniform mainly because my dad drove it to the New England states last winter with them. Well you know how there was a big snow storm, apparently he drove on the Proxes in snow LOL. And let's just say the car was going down this hill to an enterance of a hotel as slow as walking speed and the car clipped the sign/poll. The wheel alignment got messed up and he drove probably 500-900kms with the messed up alignment all the way back home. That caused the tire to wear much quicker. Two of the tires still look fresh while the other two kinda wore out quickly b/c of what I just explained!

I am going to use them for another spring/summer/fall season. I'd say they would last longer if the wheel alignment was fixed, seriously!

Sorry for the long post, but I hope this helps!

330DTM
01-16-2002, 09:07 AM
Matthew...

I think you mentioned how you rather spend the money a set of crappy tires and worry about getting better ones later?

In that case, why not try the Kumho Supra 712 Esctasy. Okay so they're not as good as the S03's or Proxes, I think, but the price is much much lower. That is if you want some decent tires and not having to spend that much on tires. I've never tried them, but I've asked a couple owners and they said it was a good tire for the money.

Also, I don't know if you want to get the Pirelli Pzero's or Rossa's because a friend of mine with a 325 is running on Pzero's. Dry traction is very sticky, but wet I'm not sure. However, under tirerack's reviews in comparison to the S02's it seems that it's not so great in the wet in comparison to the S02's.

But I guess the best way instead listening to our comments/feedback is to actually choose a tire that you think you will like and experiment with it. If it sucks, do some burnouts till they run out :P j/j. But you know what I mean !

just my $0.02's!!;)

Matthew C Smith
01-16-2002, 10:18 AM
I think the the 225 tire is not going to work on my wheels. It's going to look like some ghetto cruiser with low profile tires.

So, I think I'll stick with the 205 60 15's which means I can't get anything high performance. So I'm sticking with those unless I can get a set of 17's for a bargain or something here some time.....

Thanks for all of your input.

330DTM
01-16-2002, 04:11 PM
Matthew,

Well good luck on finding the right size of tires and hope all goes well for you on your tire choice :P
Post a review if you ever get the chance to with whichever tire you're planning to get :P

Matthew C Smith
01-16-2002, 05:00 PM
I'll be sure to post a little something. Thanks for all of your help guys!

now all I have to decide is.....

17's *devil* or 15" stockers *angel*

330DTM
01-16-2002, 07:40 PM
17"s would be nice, but it really depends if money is an issue and if you plan on spending your money on something more useful to you. hehe.

Is your car lowered so far? Because I think having 17" on the OEM setup might look a bit funny (i'm not sure what it looks if you have the sport package though)

Matthew C Smith
01-16-2002, 08:15 PM
No lowering as of yet. I think I'd do the 17's first anyways.

Basically it comes down to whether or not I want to spend the dollars on the wheels..... OR making something I'll be buying better like a golden ring with a rock on it for someone special

Oh well...... Someday I'll get a set of 17's on there *devil*

M3Pilot
01-17-2002, 01:55 PM
SO-3's are the best tyres I have ever had!!!!
Great steering response, wet and dry grip is awesome.
You won't regret buying this tyre.