PDA

View Full Version : Would you cut your coils?

kylebes1
05-17-2005, 04:23 PM
I want to lower the front end of my 525ia.

would you cut the springs? I am going with bils sports all around...

Gamite
05-17-2005, 06:15 PM
cut springs are gonna give you some funky handling, and I'm sure almost every member here will advise against it.

Springs are not expensive, invest in them.

kylebes1
05-18-2005, 07:30 AM
k, main reason I was even thinking about it is because I just want to lower the front of my car, less than an inch.
the rear sits how i like it, I just want to level it out some.
you think cutting the fronts only slightly would mess the handlig up? I think I have decided to go with Bilstein Touring shocks instead, so I am not wanting to lower it that much....

WhadUpp
05-18-2005, 07:48 AM
dont do it , youll get unpredictable handling. It will mess with the the spring rate and travel.

GEEE$
05-18-2005, 10:00 AM
For your application, you will be absolutely fine if you only cut a dead coil.

G$

kylebes1
05-18-2005, 02:32 PM
that is what i thuoght, about the coils that ate bunched at teh top...

any other input?

Gamite
05-18-2005, 04:27 PM
well, technically, its not a dead coil, if you cut one coil off, then another coil will replace it as the dead coil. It still serves a purpose

You are shortening the length of a stock spring, the spring is meant to be at that height with that rate. by cutting it you're shorttening the height, but keeping the same rate. Like I said, the handling is gonna be funky, you might even get some bouncyness. I wouldn't recommend it.

sjinto
05-18-2005, 05:02 PM
if i drove a civic i would probably cut the springs....

it's a BMW bro *th-up* don't do it

SpoolinS6
05-18-2005, 05:23 PM
do it do it
cheap mod nice look yumm yumm LOL !

///Maluco
05-18-2005, 06:07 PM
I'd advise against it *thmbsdwn*.....especially if you ever get slightly airborn.....ohhhh boy *sad*....won't want to be behind that wheel, that's for sure!!!

paul christians
05-19-2005, 12:52 AM
dude no way man not safe at all man............

GEEE$
05-19-2005, 12:37 PM
Has anyone here PHYSICALLY drove in a car with a cut coil? I have, and for the life of me, I couldn't tell one ioda of difference, at any rate of speed, or any corner.

There are generally 3-4 rolls at the top of a spring which act as dead coils, upon full load, fwiw.

G$

Big Chin
05-19-2005, 01:51 PM
Well.. if you get someone to do it professional they can do it and you won't notice a difference in the ride.. doing it yourself... Not such a good Idea unless you know a few things about suspensions.. If you cut it yourself (like I've seen many civics do) ... Your liable to get a camber problem and varying rates of wearing on the tires... going unchecked its easy to lose a tire..

If you want to lower the car an inch in the front only buy front lowering springs :P

Nascar318is
05-19-2005, 03:22 PM
Do yourself a favour and don't do it...I know that cops on the Quebec side are getting strict with Lowered cars...especially if they are not done right (IE: cutcoils). That's because a lowered civic killed a kid on the road...the driver could not avoid him cause of his suspension setup, if it was regular setup with proper coils he would have been able to avoided him. Also if you cut the rears 2 much...and you hit a nasty bump...well they could fly out(not kidding) cause they just sit there and are not screwed to anything.. The fronts well they won't come off...I had a peice of coil that was off on my rear, and after a year another peice broke off....so then it gets smaller and smaller and your tires are going to wear funny cause your camber is off.....

And like Gamite said: You might have a 12" coil meant for 200psi and you cut that down to 8" well it's still 200psi...not good...

GEEE$
05-20-2005, 10:45 AM
And like Gamite said: You might have a 12" coil meant for 200psi and you cut that down to 8" well it's still 200psi...not good...

Your point is valid, however, your numbers are just a little exagerated. Cutting a dead coil will not yield a 4 inch difference in total height...nowhere near that.

G$

Nascar318is
05-20-2005, 02:26 PM
Your point is valid, however, your numbers are just a little exagerated. Cutting a dead coil will not yield a 4 inch difference in total height...nowhere near that.
G$

It's was just an example "exagerated"...but i'm sure he knows what I mean...same for the coil length....It was just to get an Idea...

GEEE$
05-20-2005, 02:46 PM
It's was just an example "exagerated"...but i'm sure he knows what I mean...same for the coil length....It was just to get an Idea...

Sorry man, I myself should have read into that as an example, not fact. If I sounded like an ass, it was by no means intentional. I was just trying to clear up any possible confusion, for any newer members that might actually think those are stats.

word.

G$

Nascar318is
05-20-2005, 02:53 PM
Sorry man, I myself should have read into that as an example, not fact. If I sounded like an ass, it was by no means intentional. I was just trying to clear up any possible confusion, for any newer members that might actually think those are stats.

word.

G$

No no you didn't sound like an ass, so no worries. I myself don't know the numbers for the psi etc...

But I do understand for the new members and what not, so it's totally cool that they get the real numbers and not made up ones, cause then they might get ideas in there head and f$$k up there car and I would feel like $hit if they did...

*th-up*

kylebes1
05-20-2005, 09:48 PM
ok.

bimmer_02
05-22-2005, 06:44 PM
IMO i agree that cutting a coil affects how the spring absorbs a bump, and it makes the car a little more "bouncy " after u drive over a slight bump on the road. But IMO if u dont track or usually race and drive really fast in the car then cutting a spring wont really be an issue for u. so it really depends on how ur usual driving is. but overall its not THAT big of a risk, it doesnt make ur car an accident waiting to happen, for some people it would work just fine.

Bimmer_BHP
05-22-2005, 10:40 PM
CIVIC NATION THAT WAY<--- *no-no*
MAXBIMMER---> *th-up*

kylebes1
05-23-2005, 05:03 PM
That is what I thought.

this is a daily driver... I will see, if it turns out bad I will replace them, if not i leveled my car for free. (run on sentences rule!)

Jensen ///M
05-24-2005, 04:36 AM
you can cut the first coil/circle on the spring without any danger. my dad is a car mechanic and is going to do the same on his E-34 520. he bough new springs front and back and the front got a bit to hig. so after the springs have been driven in properly he'a gonna cut of one coil/circle on the spring. he says it will not make any big or dangerous difference. but if you do it, make sure you get it done right!

kylebes1
05-26-2005, 07:23 AM
Ok here is what I did. I had my mechanic friend (i am just a wrencher/hobbist) cut half a circle out of the front. did not mess up the handleing, but since the front end sat down with the old shocks with new shocks and the half coil gone it sits the same; i should have taken a full circle.

it handles the normal and with the Boge autos that I used it is not bouncy at all. If this was anything more than a daily cruiser I would have gone with Bil sports and the stiffest springs I could find. but stiffies seem to cause the interior to rattle a lot. my friends '94 540 is low and stiff and it rattles quite a bit.

GEEE$
05-26-2005, 07:56 AM
Ok here is what I did. I had my mechanic friend (i am just a wrencher/hobbist) cut half a circle out of the front. did not mess up the handleing, but since the front end sat down with the old shocks with new shocks and the half coil gone it sits the same; i should have taken a full circle.

it handles the normal and with the Boge autos that I used it is not bouncy at all. If this was anything more than a daily cruiser I would have gone with Bil sports and the stiffest springs I could find. but stiffies seem to cause the interior to rattle a lot. my friends '94 540 is low and stiff and it rattles quite a bit.

Lowering your car only does one thing, create bigger problems for all the suspension components...especially the front end. Truthfully, when one lowers a car with lowering springs, all the bushings, control arms, tie rods etc...should be investigated, and changed if necessary. More stress, more weight, more strain, bigger problems. You know what sux, trying to diagnose a rattle from the rear end after completed suspension work...that's a tough one. From things like seatbelt clips, rear fenders, to speaker grill screws...NIGHTMARE! I'm not suprised at all that you didn't notice a difference in ride quality, however, I would be suprised if you did!

G$

Fern
05-26-2005, 04:42 PM
cut spring = poor handling + uneven tire wear + bouncy ride

Use proper springs for lowering effect...
Don't ruin the look by cutting the springs.

Keep in mind that springs are designed to compress and deflect at different rates withing the coil itself... By cutting the spring you remove its engineered characteristics...

Might as well be driving a mule carriage...

kylebes1
05-29-2005, 08:03 PM
Has been a week

Teh alignment was naturally perfect, I repalced the sway lionk bushings and CA bushings.

The ride is great. NOT bouncy at all. the thing does not lean at all.

The look is exactly what I wanted. the handling is much better than it was.
My friend has a 540 with bils sports and eibachs, i think mine would out handle his since I still have 90% of my suspension travel.

I am happy with what i have done, and it was free!