PDA

View Full Version : Nitrogen For Tires

RMKBMW
05-09-2005, 10:19 AM
I've seen some places are now filling tires with Nitrogen instead of air. I have seen articles about increased gas milage, tire life, and so on. But for the cost of about $5 a tire is it really worth it?

WhadUpp
05-09-2005, 10:20 AM
it is because you wont get any leaks and the tires will last longer.

KIRASIR
05-09-2005, 12:38 PM
I don't know about you but I've been doing it for free for years. :D ;)

I've seen some places are now filling tires with Nitrogen instead of air. I have seen articles about increased gas milage, tire life, and so on. But for the cost of about $5 a tire is it really worth it?

Furious
05-09-2005, 12:47 PM
hmmm i got nitrogen at work

BMWags
05-09-2005, 12:53 PM
Is it because nitrogen is an inert gas? I think it keeps the tires cooler and it doesnt expand and contract as the temperature changes. I know airplanes use nitrogen in their tires because it doesnt heat up like regular air does. Someone who is a chemistry whiz help us out!!

KIRASIR
05-09-2005, 01:15 PM
Nitrogen is so called 'dry-air'. Having a very low concentration of water, it expands and contracts less than regular air(78% nitrogen) with respect to increase or decrease in temperature.

It you are talking about F1 applications where +/-1.0PSI change per tire can make a huge difference with traction, then yes, 5 bucks a tire is worth it. For street and everyday use it's useless.

Nitrogen is used in airplanes to minimize the variations in tire pressures at different altitudes.

SL

Is it because nitrogen is an inert gas? I think it keeps the tires cooler and it doesnt expand and contract as the temperature changes. I know airplanes use nitrogen in their tires because it doesnt heat up like regular air does. Someone who is a chemistry whiz help us out!!

BMWags
05-09-2005, 02:06 PM
Nitrogen is used in airplanes to minimize the variations in tire pressures at different altitudes.

SL

^^^
thanks man, i wasnt really sure *shiner*

KIRASIR
05-09-2005, 04:07 PM
Hmm.. did some reading... looks like the tire pressure is not the main reason for using Nitrogen in the aircraft tires:

PART 25--AIRWORTHINESS STANDARDS: TRANSPORT CATEGORY AIRPLANES

Sec. 25.733 Tires.

(e) For an airplane with a maximum certificated takeoff weight of more than
75,000 pounds, tires mounted on braked wheels must be inflated with dry
nitrogen or other gases shown to be inert so that the gas mixture in the
tire does not contain oxygen in excess of 5 percent by volume, unless it
can be shown that the tire liner material will not produce a volatile gas
when heated or that means are provided to prevent tire temperatures from reaching unsafe levels.

And some other cons of using O2:

a) Ice formation at high altitudes
b) Dry rotting rubber tubes
c) Oxidation of the magnesium rims

SL

SL

RMKBMW
05-09-2005, 08:27 PM
Thanks guys, I think I will get nitrogen in my tires the next time i'm in the shop.

Ant118
05-10-2005, 12:51 AM
well knew about the nitrogen but i also know that when u use rain tires when racing filling them with nitrogen is the best

EMPOWERD
04-18-2006, 11:31 AM
All Costco locations (with tire centers) use only nitrogen to fill their tires. Just stop by and ask them to refill yours (it'll be free).

Quack
04-18-2006, 12:46 PM
hmmm i got nitrogen at work

and I got tires for you to fill :D