PDA

View Full Version : need advice on cleaning products

dave328i
05-07-2005, 04:10 PM
hey guys.. i'm new to the whole bimmer world, just purchased a black '97 328i 4dr.. and after driving a '90 civic, it's a major step up. so far i'm really loving the car.

since the weather is so nice this weekend, i decided to clean the car top to bottom. i bought some Mother's products (leather cleaner, leather conditioner, car wash) and some rim cleaner and tire foam.

however, i am confused as to what i should use to clean and protect the dash. can someone recommend a good product for this.

thanks in advance. dave

ps, ill be in wasaga on the 2-4, and hopefully i'll get a chance to stop by Williams.. *th-up*

RevShoT
05-07-2005, 04:13 PM
whats wrong with armour all?

its the best for everything!

dave328i
05-07-2005, 04:16 PM
what's the dash made of?

i heard armorall is deadly on leather

just want to be safe

RevShoT
05-07-2005, 04:18 PM
what's the dash made of?

i heard armorall is deadly on leather

just want to be safe

the dash is deffinitally not made of leather its vynil and foam if im not misaken

no different then any other dash, use it on all my vehicles and have yet to have a problem (and on my bimmer too)

razor/m5
05-07-2005, 04:24 PM
Bro STAY away from armour all it will wreck your dash!!! best stuff to use if you dont want to use chemical is just a damp chamois - thats what I do on all my customers cars.

dave328i
05-07-2005, 04:35 PM
i need something to protect it from the sun.. something to give it moisture.. don't want it to crack.

ara325
05-07-2005, 04:53 PM
i need something to protect it from the sun.. something to give it moisture.. don't want it to crack.

you can coat it with all the moisture/water you want...when the sun beats down through your windshield, the heat will dry anything you apply. I personally, clean the dash regularly with a damp cloth, and Armor-All it once or maybe twice a year. A lot of cracking happens in the really cold winter months. When the dash is really cold, and you crank the heat in your car, the change in temp causes molecules to expand, therefore causing shifting in your dash. That's mostly when your dash will crack...i actually heard mine crack once...it sounded like a gunshot-snap...didn't klnow what it was until later when i noticed my new crack...that makes two now.

RevShoT
05-07-2005, 05:07 PM
Bro STAY away from armour all it will wreck your dash!!! best stuff to use if you dont want to use chemical is just a damp chamois - thats what I do on all my customers cars.

no offense or anything but i hear this all the time and have yet to see anyones dash crack or wreck anyones dash as a result of using armorall

ara325
05-07-2005, 05:24 PM
no offense or anything but i hear this all the time and have yet to see anyones dash crack or wreck anyones dash as a result of using armorall

I've heard this a million times too, and a friend also told me that WD stands for Water Displacement. To your point RevShot, I too have yet to see anyones dash get wrecked by WD40...our brutal winters and summers are prolly the biggest cause of dash crakcs.

p.s. niiiiiiiiiiiiiiice avatar. When's the Hemi arriving?

razor/m5
05-07-2005, 05:34 PM
I'm just voicing my opinion revshot- no offense taken , but I have seen a couple of cars that that had armour on it and the dash was cracking. So instead of taking a chance I would much rather not do it all. Besides that stuff gets all sticky and greasy

razor/m5
05-07-2005, 05:39 PM
Sorry , The owners have told me they used armour all and as ara325 said, the dash will crack over time , the only way I can see stopping the cracking would be to buy one of those carpet pieces that are made to protect the dash

RevShoT
05-07-2005, 06:27 PM
p.s. niiiiiiiiiiiiiiice avatar. When's the Hemi arriving?

hemi's lookin a little shady now i bought an s-10 and im dropping a 350 in it shortly so that might just settle me over for a bit but we shal see spring 2006

ara325
05-07-2005, 06:38 PM
hemi's lookin a little shady now i bought an s-10 and im dropping a 350 in it shortly so that might just settle me over for a bit but we shal see spring 2006

sorry for being nosy...i know you mentioned something to the effect of your dad and/or insurance, did you really have to get rid of your bimmer though? A truck with a 350 in it will prolly cost a bit to insure anyways...if they know about it.

FastM3
05-07-2005, 07:44 PM
DO NOT use Armour All, especially on your BMW.
For your dash, simply use a very clean and moist chamois and clean off all the dust and marks with that. You don't need to put on any products, unless the dash is marked up severly which I highly doubt.

For other stuff (exterior, leather etc.), buy GOOD stuff...Zaino or AutoGlym. Meguier's/Mother's is good if your too lazy to order the other stuff :D.

Slammed 3Series
05-09-2005, 01:12 AM
Mother's and Meguier's are the best imo.

Avoid Simoniz and Armour All products.

BMWags
05-09-2005, 01:41 AM
^^^ i used simoniz car soap when i washed my 325i, so far so good, im not too familiar with the upkeep of a leather interior, what are good products to use to keep the leather looking and feeling new?

Slammed 3Series
05-09-2005, 01:51 AM
Mother's and Meguir's like I said, Eagle 1 is good too.
As for which is better for leather, I'm not sure.

I personally don't like Simoniz products cause I had bad exp with them.